Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 HID Thread (Info Only No Arguing)

164K views 560 replies 116 participants last post by  devanmc 
#1 · (Edited)
Items you need for the install on your 2012 (If you purchase cancellors or anything else YOU THINK might work your going to waste your time and everyone elses asking why their not lit so follow my instructions)

Resistors http://retro-solutions.net/product-info.php?Resistor_Link_50W_6_ohm-pid601.html

Relay Harnesshttp://retro-solutions.net/product-info.php?HID_relay_wiring_harness-pid582.html

An H11 35w or greater HID Kit (Same for Foglamps but they dont require anything but the HID kit since they are not monitored by the computer)

Heres some pictures of them Installed going down the road.
While Driving

Behind a Car

Side of Car

Notice this FACTORY PT Cruiser with More light on the Bumper then My car on the Honda in the Previous Picture.

Notice Little to no Glare on the Sign and how sharply the Lights Cut off. (Not a Super Sharp Cutoff but very very Noticable)

On my Private Road.

Highbeams on, Notice you can see a Sign now and before you couldnt.
The Highbeams allow you to see further but not as bright at that distance as an HID Highbeam would be.

During the Day

Enjoy and Please If your not here to contribute anything to this thread do not comment on their legality.

Opinions on how they look are welcome and if their offensive or possible arguement starter I will have them removed.
[cheers]

See less See more
#2 ·
looks good. i have a similar setup on my 2010 and the cut off is well too. im still going to get projectors to better my setup. but luckily our cars dont throw the light all over. my 2003 did and i did not continue to keep the lighting that way due to the well being of others.

are you running 5000k headlamps and 2000k fogs?

#3 ·
6000k 3000k and yes my 2008 had a good cutoff aswell. the 00-04 factory lights ya not so much :) I run Hella Projectors in my 2001, and run C4R Racing Projectors in my Corvette.

I know some headlamps have poor light throw even from the factory and when coupled with HIDs its game over to the people in front of you.

#6 ·
I hate old cars... mine has a glass fluted lens which throws HID lighting around like a disco ball. you guys are lucky to have clean clear lenses.

Out of curiosity, what is recommended for a 2012 projector retrofit or for that matter has anyone done it yet?

#9 ·
Yes you must not put those (resistors) on the hids but instead connect them to the h11 harness on the headlight. One on each side. Left side will not be plugged in to anything but the headlight but once its grounded it will work just as it should.

#13 ·
My lights have a awesome cut off for being on a 01'. Though these are aftermarket E-bay lights so that may have something to do with it, but they are just the plain black housing lights. It's all about aiming them, once I aimed mine they are great. Glad to see this thread back up and running. Hopefully this will provide more info and less smack talk on how illegal they are even though I've never been pulled over for HID's and everyone practically has them now, but anyways glad to see it back.

#17 ·
Best Way I can do this without pictures.

From Facing the front starting with the Left headlight.

Left Headlight Harness>Resistor Harness>Ground Resistor>Unused connector Stays Unpluged

Right Headlight Harness>Resistor Harness>Ground Resistor Harnnes>Connect Unused Connector to Relay Harness to 12V>Relay Ground to Frame>Relay Harness Right Ballast Power to Right Side Ballast>Relay Harness Left Ballast Power to Left Side Ballast.

Now Plug in the HID Bulbs and your done.

People better be thankful I dont do this to my truck lol!

#20 ·
Very easy to do both you need t30 torx for the headlamps and same thing for the foglamps. Turn your wheel to the left to take the right side fender well screws out and bend the fender well out of your way to access them. Repeat process for left side. Good luck!

#22 ·
If you install the resistors correctly your headlights will never get the dipped beam error. But with using your relay harness they will never shut off. The resistors are there to just take away the error.

#24 ·
Yes you need to hook up the resistor to the headlight not the relay harness use the plugs that isn't being used in your headlight

#27 ·
i just want to ask here... any chance to make fluted lenses work with HIDs? my lights still arent cutting it and I cant see crap.

also for fog lights, Im not sure how the focus ones are but on mine the backs are sealed and I dont see a way to put hids in, its just the two wires and a rubber seal.

#28 ·
on the 626 you have the sealed lights you need to look up the open housing conversions. I used to do them all the time for the fbodys all firebirds and most older camaros had those sealed beams. But to answer your question you can make hids work in anything.

I have done HID kits for Quad race teams Monster and Fox to name a few.

If you know what your doing you can fit them anywhere.

#35 ·
I just bought the Retro-Solutions 35 watt digital kit with the vehicle specific set up for the 2012 Focus. Everything works great and I'm showing no errors.

New ford cars absolutely need the harness with the relay or else you're asking for trouble. So spend the extra few bucks.

At first, figuring out how to hook it up can be somewhat confusing but if you have any basic 12v knowledge you shouldn't have a problem. Take your headlights out, then map out the harness on the kitchen table. It helps to make sense out of it. If you need to draw a schematic for yourself, do that too.

If you know how a relay works and you know how a resistor works, you can install this yourself. If you don't know, then take it to someone who does.

I haven't mounted my ballasts yet though. Does anyone have any suggestions on good locations?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.