Focus Fanatics Forum banner

MK3 2012 Focus - Oil Change 101

446K views 1K replies 216 participants last post by  RedFocusSEGuy 
#1 · (Edited)
Just did my first oil change on the 2012 Focus. Thought I'd help those who haven't done it yet.

What you'll need: 15mm wrench, T30 torx, 1.25 gallons of 5W-20 Oil, Oil Filter ( FL-910S )

Raise the car. I used a floor jack at the front driver jack point (see manual), then braced with a jack stand to prevent getting killed. I think ramps would be easier.

Remove the felt panel by removing the 8 torx bolts. If you remove the bolt shown at the red arrow last (front center of car), the panel will stay up nicely. Supported by the notches shown with the yellow arrows.
Don't bother considering cutting a hole in the felt panel to get access to the oil filter. You'll need to remove the panel to get to the drain plug anyway. It comes off easy enough.

Change the oil filter and drain the oil. I didn't need an oil filter wrench because the oil filter is VERY accessible and could grab it with two hands. When replacing the filter, wet the rubber gasket on the new filter with oil, wipe away any dirt on the gasket surface of the engine and screw the new filter in until it touches the gasket surface. THEN screw by hand 3/4 of a turn more. Don't forget to put the drain plug back in (20 ft/lbs per Ford shop manual - Oil pan drain plug/Part# 6730/ Torque 27 Nm (20 lb-ft)).

Put 4 quarts of oil in, start the engine and check for leaks. Do this before lowering the car. 4 quarts will fill it enough to measure halfway between the two holes on the dipstick. If you want to avoid some of the start-up clatter, crank the engine for a few seconds with the accelerator floored. Gas is shut off when you do this but the oil pump should fill the filter. After making sure you have no leaks, replace the felt panel, lower the car and top off the oil. Mine took exactly 4.5 quarts to reach the top of the hash marks on the dipstick.

Resetting the oil life monitoring system
1. Turn the ignition key to the on position. Do not start the engine.
For vehicles with push-button start, press and hold the START/STOP
button for two seconds without pressing the brake pedal. Do not attempt
to start the engine.
2. Press both the accelerator and brake pedals at the same time.
3. Keep both pedals fully pressed.
4. After three seconds, the Service: Oil reset in prog. message will be
displayed.
5. After 25 seconds, the Service: Oil reset complete message will be
displayed.
6. Release both the accelerator and brake pedals.
7. The Service: Oil reset complete message will no longer be
displayed.
8. Rotate the key to the off position.
For vehicles with push-button start, press the START/STOP button to
turn the vehicle off completely.

As of 2/20/2012...
5qts. Motorcraft 5w-20 Synthetic Blend - 21.99
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_5W-20-Synthetic-Blend-Motor-Oil-Motorcraft_8030012-P_N3291M_T|GRP2046_____
18.33 at Walmart
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Motorcraft-Synthetic-Blend-Motor-Oil-5W20-5qt/16940217

5qts. Mobil1 5W-20 Synthetic - 36.99
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_5W-20-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-%285-Plus-Quarts-Jug%29-Mobil1_10069913-P_N4019G_T|GRP2046_____

FL-910S oil filter - 3.97 at Walmart

See less See more
#47 ·
Just did the 2nd oil change. Rotate tires and went through the entire under carriage with a keen eye. All looks good. Averaging about 3,000 miles per month. Car is doing what I bought it to do and doing it well.

Concerns: The key with these things is keeping them as far from dealerships as possible. I've found a dealer that I am willing to work with but man do you have to keep a close eye on them. Their mindset is doing things as quickly as possible and getting the next car in. Doing something "right" doesn't ever register on their meter. They are nice folks who have been sucked into a poor service mindset.

Comments: I doubt the pre-chargin hurts anything but modern motors are started for the first time EVER with a coating of manufacturing lube. The moment the motor is started, actually within about 5 seconds, for the first time the entire oil tract is coated in oil. During my career doing testing and development of high performance motorcycles I had the chance to be involved with the development of a new motor (Helicon) with Rotax in Austria. During testing the motor was run (we tried different oils), then the oil was drained, the motor was started without oil and run at redline for an hour to see what kind of wear we got. Bottom line is that the current crop (I use Amsoil, but they are all great) of lubricants, both synthetic and non-syunthetic, are absolutely amazing. Technology has really benefited lubricants.

It's nothing more than my PERSONAL OPINION but, absent something totally absurd (tossing in a handful or grit) you couldn't hurt a modern motor if you tried.

Milegae is great, handling is great, tires (with 15,000) look like they're due for replacement soon and the Focus is performing pretty much marvelously.

#55 ·
If the S stands for Silicon Anti Drain Back Valve as nibyak states it is a better filter. The silicon is a more expensive, higher heat material than the nitrile rubber and withstands more heat cycles (more mileage). This is one of the improvements that allows the filter to last the 7,500-10,000 mile recomended service life.

#56 ·
So wifey goes in to the local dealer today to pick up the filter, oil and a drain plug gasket. (Probably for the last time.)

They had the filter but had to order the oil (were all confused cuz she asked for the synthetic blend like in the pic at the start of this thread)[confused]

Then, when she asked for the drain plug gasket they told her that she had to buy the whole drain plug with the gasket; they come as one piece.

WTF? In my 30 years of changing oil that's a new one on me.

Is that true?? If so, my opinion of my move from Jap back to NA is getting worse every day.

#61 ·
I've never had to replace an oil plug o-ring on a Ford. Had a 2000 F150 for 11 years. My '88 Ranger had a plastic "crush" ring and I think I replaced that once in the 12 years I owned that. But if you've got another car, go to a hardware store when you remove the plug and buy another o-ring to keep "murphy's law" from biting you in the a$$. [:)]

#63 ·
I have 200 miles on my focus. I have always heard to change the oil for a new engine around 500 miles. what is everyones opinion on this ? I do mainly highway driving so I was thinking I'd change the filter and oil around 1000 miles ?

#69 ·
Nothing in the manual on it that I see. Acura shows 29 ft/lbs for steel plug in an aluminum pan, but some of their forum members think that's too much.

Educated guess after trying it on another bolt...20-25 ft/lbs.

I look forward to hearing the answer from some of the members that have access to the Ford service information.

EDIT: I PM'd another FF member who might know and asked if he could get the official spec.

#84 ·

Resetting the oil life monitoring system
1. Turn the ignition key to the on position. Do not start the engine.
For vehicles with push-button start, press and hold the START/STOP
button for two seconds without pressing the brake pedal. Do not attempt
to start the engine.
2. Press both the accelerator and brake pedals at the same time.
3. Keep both pedals fully pressed.
4. After three seconds, the Service: Oil reset in prog. message will be
displayed.
5. After 25 seconds, the Service: Oil reset complete message will be
displayed.
6. Release both the accelerator and brake pedals.
7. The Service: Oil reset complete message will no longer be
displayed.
8. Rotate the key to the off position.
For vehicles with push-button start, press the START/STOP button to
turn the vehicle off completely.

WOW!!! [80?]
Here's how to reset the oil life monitor on my Chevy:
1. Depress "RESET" button, and hold for 5 seconds.
2. Done

Wonder why Mother Ford makes it so involved??? [scratch]

#85 ·
The GM ignition has to be in the "on" position too, so the difference is holding a single button (which on my GM required removing an access panel) versus holding down the brake and accelerator pedals. We Focus owners are a hardy lot; I think we can handle it.

#93 ·
Thanks for the heads up on the wrench size and the T30. Using my drill to deal with the 8 screws, I probably had this done in 15 minutes flat.

Advance auto parts was doing the 5qt mobil one and filter for $32.99 so I hopped on it and knocked this out at 1512 miles. [headbang]

#96 ·
>>>That felt thing is the stupidest feature ever.

It's actually a pretty amazing piece of engineering. It's been on high priced cars for years . . . neat to see Ford deploy it on the Focus.

The first time it took me perhaps 5 minutes, finding the right bit and so forth. The 2nd oil change the felt was gone in less than 60 seconds.

It's nice to see American engineering at work.

#99 ·
My Subie had a heavy plastic windage tray under the engine. The question I have is (slightly off topic)... Could you replace the felt with an APR diffuser? Is the bottom of the bumper flat enough?

#100 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.