Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Installing Heated Mirrors

106K views 180 replies 40 participants last post by  D*2.3 
#1 ·
Our SE didn't come with Heated Mirrors or Cruise Control (that will be another post). I would like to add the heated mirrors. Will it be Plug and Play? Can anyone recommend an online source to purchase factory heated mirrors? I assume that I will have to purchase complete units that will come prewired. It might be nice if they also came with the turn signals in the mirror housings.

#174 ·
I salvaged a 2012 mirror with the courtesy lamp for wiring with the pin ends and added the wiring and heated glass on one side and it works. I don't have door modules. The other side, I found another 2012 mirror that just the added heated mirror. The connectors are different on my 2015. I noted what wires were what and their locations and swapped the 2015 harness connector to the 2012 mirror and it plugged right in and works perfectly.

#176 ·
I'm not 100% clear on your question. As far as I know you swap the entire mirror/housing assembly as a unit and you need to ensure the body wiring harness has the appropriate wiring and connector. If body wiring harness is not wired then you need to add the wiring from the fuse panel. The rear defrost switch controls the heated mirrors so as long as you have that switch then I think you're done after you program the BCM.

#178 ·
Hmm, I guess is depends on the posters definition of "heatable mirrors". I always understood that as the entire mirror assembly was replaced. Typically the mirror assemblies just unbolt and unplug and you swap in the new ones. I would think a used donor mirror assembly would be less expensive and less effort than buying and installing new heated glass. I don't think a scrap yard would just sell the glass but you never know. I'd look for a donor SEL or Titanium optioned with the cold weather package and buy the mirror assembly. It would be the exact same as yours; don't worry about colour as you can swap out the colour panels. Then you sell your original mirrors to recoup some cash.

This video is pretty good >> Ford Focus MK3 (2012-2018) Mirror Removal and Teardown. I can see how replacing the standard glass with heated glass can be done and how the wires and pins would work. You'd just pin it out to match the connector wiring. You'd need to make sure the body wire harness has the switched wires otherwise you're looking at wiring those up from their termination point to the mirror assembly. According to previous posts it looks like it should be there and "plug and play".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.