Focus Fanatics Forum banner

FUELLY of each of us

27K views 184 replies 96 participants last post by  dutd33 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone. I know a lot of us want to know what mpg others get on their new car, so I was thinking about creating a thread where each of us posts his fuelly links (which will be by default updated, so it would be necessary one single reply per FoFo owner). What do you think about it ? And of course, it would be good to have it as a sticker, if possible.

I start with mine :

See less See more
#15 ·
Great to see a few more people with 38 mpg or better. After getting a feel for my car, almost 3 months and nearly 10,000 miles I am now working diligently to bring my average up. Setting at 60 mph is getting me 42 mpg on recent trips, even better at 55 mph. Listening to audio books and podcasts while I drive.

I am trying to turn improving my mpgs into a game of sorts and as such get new high scores.

#19 ·
Living 60 miles from work, an taking a highway with a limit of 65 mph, going 40 is not an option. I am seeing over 44 mpg when running at 55 mph, but that means I have to get up extra early. Usually drive to work at the limit of a few above, and drive much slower on the way home to balance it out.

#25 ·
Why would the dash readout be inaccurate? It knows how much fuel has been used roughly if the car is on a level surface, and it knows how far you travel in the measured time. Any inaccuracies in the fuel level due to non-level surfaces would average out in time, it should be pretty accurate. The information on the display is a current average from the last reset while fuelly/manual calculations are based on the last fill-up.

#27 ·
I ALWAYS reset the average mpg meter in the car when I fill up the car, at the same time calculating the average mpg manually (my fillups take a very long time). They should theoretically be very close, but in my car they are not. It's annoying, I wish the dash was more accurate, but at least in my case it is way off, by as much as 10%. Sometimes it is more accurate. I have not been able to figure out under what circumstances. I thought for a while that it was because some gas stations will pump a little bit more gas in after the pump clicks off. But the last 2 gas tanks I made sure this was not the case.

Bottom line is personally I would not trust the "Distance to E" on the dashboard UNLESS my manually calculated average MPG was identical to the average MPG on the dashboard since last reset. There may be something else going on that I am not aware of. If I figure something out, I will let everyone know.

#26 ·
If one were predisposed to it, the dash readout is more easily manipulated based on when you reset it last.

My trip 1 I reset more or less every tank, and shows recent economy.

My trip 2 I havent reset in a very long time, and is very close to what feully says.

I guess inaccurate is not the appropriate word to use.

#29 ·
One thing is for sure, if you drive with the fuel gauge on E for an extended period of time, you will run out of gas regardless of what the time to empty states on the trip meter. I have found in my case that my manual calculations have matched perfectly with the average MPG on the trip meter. The miles to empty calculation is a bit off though since every time I run it down to 2 or 3 miles left there is never the same amount of gas left in the tank but usually its about half gallon that's left in the tank. So while I feel safe running it down to zero, I'm usually at the pump right when it hits zero or a few miles before zero.

I finally got the focus on the highway for long trip this past weekend and was totally impressed with the avg MPG. My outbound trip included a driving distance of approximately 350 miles and there was a two hour traffic jam that we went through. I made it on one tank of gas easily and averaged around 36 MPG and the miles to empty was around 65 at the end. The weird thing was the trip back average was 39 MPG (no traffic jam) but the time to empty got to zero prematurely and I panicked to get to a nearby gas station 45 minutes from home. As it turns out, the pump clicked off at only 7.6 gallons on my previous fill-up and I didn't realize it clicked off way too early. From now on I'm going to make it click off twice to make sure it is filled up or pay attention to gallons going in a little more.

I stopped at another BP station (I always use BP) and after filling it up, now the distance to empty jumped to 480 miles! I also averaged 42 MPG on the 45 minute drive home. Wow that was really impressive. Unfortunately, I'm back to city driving so I won't know for sure if I was really getting 42 MPG on the highway for hundreds of miles. Either way I'm very happy with the mileage on this car.[lockdance]

#35 ·
I have a little question. Can we only post the fuelly and talk about everything else in another topic ? If someone is interested to see how the mpg were get, it has to click on the fuelly of the person he's interested in and that's it. All the data he need to know is there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.