Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Rattle on the right

24K views 95 replies 39 participants last post by  FordService 
#1 ·
I have a slight rattle down low to my right when I'm driving. It sounds like something in the side pocket in the door, tho' it's empty.

I'm also thinking it might be the heat duct under the passenger's seat; since warmer weather or the heater operating seems to shut it up, it may be just that. Both the ducts seem very poorly attached.
Moon

#2 ·
This has been mentioned before in another thread. My rattle is from the door speaker producing bass and when I press on the part with the reflector it makes it stop. Inside the cubby for the door and top right the two plastic meets and there is a small gap I believe this is where the rattle is from. I have tried to put a penny in the spot and it did not make it go away so I am going to have to figure out something else.

#4 ·
I'll be more than willing to let the dealer sort it out. The problem is the inconsistency of the rattle; it is worse when the car is cold and the passenger's seat empty.
If there is a thought on where it is originating, at least I can point the dealer in that direction.

BTW, I brought home some 8' lumber in the Focus today.
Moon

#5 ·
Tell me, is your car leather? I've had this problem pretty much since I got my Focus... it's enough to drive me mental after a while :( I thought it was the door trims, or the B Pillar pieces, the plate where the seatbelt goes into on the pillar, anything... I haven't perfectly isolated it, but I'm starting to wonder if it's the passenger seat itself. It almost could be the leather where the bottom meets the back. I don't know.

Although, today I had all kinds of ticking and knocking sounds from my whole dash plastics/windshield area and sunroof. I think it's because the temperature dropped, but still... was a sad ride home with all the loud constant noises. [paranoid]

#8 ·
funny but mine is in the door panel area but on the DRIVERS side... no clue as to what it could be as well as the rattly headliner.

#10 ·
I have a very low volume rattle by the drivers B-Pillar. The problem is, thats where my left ear is!
I've been trying to apply pressure to various points while driving and I think it may be the top trim of the rear door. Its hard to do cuz my commute is highway with heavy traffic volume. I can't always keep my hand there and lean my ear over.

#11 ·
I've got the right side rattle. Its not constant but you hear it when going over bumps and the like. Definitely plasticy sounding, thought it was the sunglasses holder or something sliding around on the cubby hole. Now i'm thinking b pillar, but nothing to do with the seatbelt

#20 ·
I think I know where the rattling sound comes from. It should be the headrest on the passenger seat. I notice that there is no rattling sound if there is someone sitting on it while there is if the seat is empty. Wonder if there is anyway I could take out that headrest. I do notice I can't push the headrest all the way down =\

#21 ·
I too have a rattle, right side, not there when passenger in seat. I have noted that my passenger seat does not lock into position well, however, sound there when seat is secured. If i hear the rattle and put my hand on the front of the seat the sound dies. I had taken it to ford who said it was some "v" clip that wasn't secure, they took out the seat and blah blah..but sound is still there now.
Boy do I feel like a guinea pig for Ford on this 3rd gen year 1 experiment

#23 ·
Haven't heard it in awhile.

If it's the seat I recommend hoping in the passenger side and giving the seat a couple good slides back and forth. The track might need to be broken in.

#24 ·
I had rattle in my focus, turned out sun visor on passenger side was not secured
and seat belt buckle on passenger side was impinging with side walls , i fixed it easily by changing its position ..[driving]

#25 ·
That's different from the rattle explained here. A number of us have the same rattle, that can be temporarily stopped by pushing on the passenger seat or having a passenger. I don't think any of your rattles would stop by placing your hand on the passenger seat.

#26 ·
What material do people have for the seats? Mine does this too (enough to drive me a little crazy), sometimes I wonder if it's the leather though. Perhaps where the seat bottom and back meet, the vibrations could be causing rubbing there which would be louder.

PS Side airbags are in the side of the front seat; side curtain airbags are in the pillars.

#27 ·
Mine is leather also, but it's not a leather type squeak; it is more like a small object rattling in the bottom of the side pocket.
It is intermittent as well, may be temperature dependent, and now that I've gotten around to hooking up the I-pod it's no longer noticeable...
Moon

#29 ·
I took a video of this annoying rattle from the right dash area something on the right front of the car and it just started happening after 3800 miles. Drove the car parked at home. Then got in to go out a dew hours later and rattle rattle rattle. I was like WTF? Then the next time I drove, no rattle, and no rattle since. Very connnnnfussseedddd. In the video the rattle is CLEAR as day the is blue. Once I upload it, anyone can take a guess as to the mystery of yet another rattle we all are experiencing!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.