Focus Fanatics Forum banner

What's the easiest way to remove tail lights on the hatchback?

27K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Ger's 2012 Focus 
#1 ·
Manual says remove the plastic pieces, and then remove the lights, but didn't clearly say how and which piece to remove [?|]

Has anyone changed bulbs or remove the tail lights before? care to share your experience? thanks!

#3 ·
What are you trying to swap them to? I didn't even know there were taillights other than OEM offered yet...

#6 ·
You shouldn't have to remove the housings to get at the lights. Look in your trunk/hatch and there should be removable panels near the taillights. All it should take is reaching a hand back there to get to the bulbs... I may be wrong as I haven't done it, but that's normally how it works.

#7 ·
Open the small covers in the trunk behind the tail lights. (hatch)
Inside there are 2 Grey plastic wingnuts.
You have to look carefully with a torch to find them.
Get someone to hold the tail light so it cannot fall on the floor.
Remove the wingnuts.
Warning (Installing higher wattage globes may melt your plasting housing)

#19 ·
Open the small covers in the trunk behind the tail lights. (hatch)
Inside there are 2 Grey plastic wingnuts.
You have to look carefully with a torch to find them.
Get someone to hold the tail light so it cannot fall on the floor.
Remove the wingnuts.
Warning (Installing higher wattage globes may melt your plasting housing)
I'm surprised no one has commented on this statement. For those not familiar with British/So. African terminology and new to DIY car maintenance , he does not mean a oxy acetylene or propane torch, on the other side of the World torch=flashlight.
Also, from what I understand, don't drop the nuts.

#8 ·
Hi all, im new to the forum, this is my first post... Im actually looking to remove the whole taillight. Its cracked and needs replacing. (my wife thought the new focus was able to reverse through walls).

I couldnt find any other threads with the answer but this one i thought was relevant enough... any help would be much appreciated.

#9 ·
Do Not--I repeat--Do Not drop the plastic retaining nuts inside the interior trim panel!
Once you get the nuts removed, the locating pi will still be holding the taillight in place. Give it a good, firm tug, and the light will separate from the body. Then disconnect the wiring harness. Did I mention not to drop the wing nuts?

#14 ·
Do Not--I repeat--Do Not drop the plastic retaining nuts inside the interior trim panel!
Once you get the nuts removed, the locating pi will still be holding the taillight in place. Give it a good, firm tug, and the light will separate from the body. Then disconnect the wiring harness. Did I mention not to drop the wing nuts?
And I thought that I was the only one[facepalm] What a mother-flipping nightmare...

Fwiw, if anyone drops a nut on a vehicle with the Sony system, you can use the subwoofer mounting nut as a replacement until you get one from the dealer. That is, of course, if you don't want to spend the three hours trying to get the plastic one back out of the depths of hell that it fell in to...

#13 ·
I just pulled one yesterday to size up the paint rubbing/chipping issue and found it's pretty easy to remove the tail lights. As indicated, remove the little cover then, using a large blade screw driver, unscrew both large wingnuts being careful not to drop them into the panel. When both nuts are removed the assembly can be removed with a little jiggling.

I did discover so paint rubbing and plan to pick up some touch up paint to repair. I also plan to deburr the edge of the assembly.

Brian

#15 ·
Drop your nuts???

If I am understanding all the threads, you all seem to be talking about removing the light BULBS themselves that are enclosed inside. What I would like to know is how is it possible to remove the lenses on the outside of the body? Some clown was trying to remove the left side lense to connect the trailer connection at UHaul [smackbum] and somehow cracked the outside left lense on the edge. Yes they ARE going to replace it, as I have the documents thru their insurance that says they are gonna do that. I just wonder if they will give me enough money to purchase one. My next trip is down to the dealer to inquire about the cost of one of these beasts and also to see what the cost of installing the wiring harness for the trailer hookup will be, and if they can even do it.[bootyshak

#16 ·
If I am understanding all the threads, you all seem to be talking about removing the light BULBS themselves that are enclosed inside. What I would like to know is how is it possible to remove the lenses on the outside of the body? Some clown was trying to remove the left side lense to connect the trailer connection at UHaul [smackbum] and somehow cracked the outside left lense on the edge. Yes they ARE going to replace it, as I have the documents thru their insurance that says they are gonna do that. I just wonder if they will give me enough money to purchase one. My next trip is down to the dealer to inquire about the cost of one of these beasts and also to see what the cost of installing the wiring harness for the trailer hookup will be, and if they can even do it.[bootyshak
No, what they are saying is that to remove the housings from the body you first have to unscrew the wing nuts, but don't drop them as its a pain in the rear to get them back again. The bulbs need to be disconnected from the wiring harness in order to remove the housings from the body.

The fasteners that attach the lamps to the body are secured behind the rear cargo trim and or lift gate trim on the hatch.

#17 ·
Okay, as I ponder the ramifications of doing this, I realize that maybe I do not need to remove the light assembly unit at all, but merely need to disconnect the wiring harness from the light in order to plug in a "T" adapter to run the trailer wiring harness down to where that would connect. So WHY would I (or someone in a place that specializes in hooking up electrical connections for trailers, like U-Haul) need to uncouple the entire light assembly from the body when all I need to do is trace where the plug is connected to the back of the ass'y and unplug IT? Or has Ford come up with an INGENIUS way of having to remove the light from the body in order to disconnect the wiring harness? This problem is getting WAY too involved for what would seem to be a simple solution! Can someone point out a simple solution here, or do I already have the one-word solution of simply "SELL!"?

#18 ·
Inside the trunk on the Focus Se Sedan, there is a plastic cover about 8 inches long and 5 inch wide. The top of the plastic cover plate is a slide and the bottom has a few clips. Simply pop the bottom open with a flat screw driver. (Gently) Once opened, you will see 2 black plastic wing nuts. Remove those and make sure not to let them fall. These two nuts are all that hold the tail assembly. There is a guide pin at the other end of the tail assembly which you will have to insert to replace the lens. turn the light bulb holder counter clockwise to remove the bulb. There you have it. You can remove the tail light assembly and change bulbs

#21 ·
Upon my feverish search (well, not really, but the way I tell the story...) for some actual description and/or video showing how, I came across an etrailor.com video of all than I ever wanted to know about installing the harness on the '12 Focus HB. Seems that it involves removing both tail light assembly's from the body and routing all sorts of wires here and there. Very informative and more than a simple install, but the video does go thru each step. Here is the link - http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring/Ford/Focus/2012/118549.html?vehicleid=2012306671 Hope this helps others.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.