Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Should a Focus Wagon be sold in US?

13K views 100 replies 51 participants last post by  Hans104 
#1 ·
any thoughts on how you think a Focus wagon would do in the US, not a ST wagon, which would be the ultimate sleeper car, but a SEL/Titanium wagon?

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes, I would appreciate the possibility of being able to buy one here in the U.S.. But Ford sold very few 2000 to 2007 Focus wagons. What do you think has changed that people now would buy a wagon version?

I am looking for a clean used 2004 to 2007 Duratec auto wagon with less than 100k miles. There are a few in my area.

#27 ·
I say, hell to the yeah. Bring it. Now I know some may disagree, and I know we sell cars to make a profit, but dammit, if America (me) wants one, then give it to them.

Yes, I would appreciate the possibility of being able to buy one here in the U.S.. But Ford sold very few 2000 to 2007 Focus wagons. What do you think has changed that people now would buy a wagon version?
Yes, sales are slow because of poor advertising. If the Euro MKII Focus wagon sold in the US, I would had purchased it. Instead, I purchased a Volvo V50 (also owned by Ford) at a higher price not to my liking. I would have gotten the Focus instead because it would have been cheaper.

There may be demand for it(for those who don't want/need a SUV), but those who want it may not be in the position to buy at this point.
I'm demanding the Focus wagon because I can't see over the SUV's on the highway. They are too big and obstructive. My Volvo V50 is six yrs old now; I need a new wagon...now!

I really don't see the point of the wagon in the United States. No one will buy them except for a small sub-set of enthusiasts. And they can get by with the hatchback.
No. no. no. We can't get by with the HB. That's what we call settling. I really don't want to have to settle on the HB just because Ford won't offer the wagon, but I may have to. And contrary to popular belief, the wagon does offer more cargo space than the HB.

Ick! I say no. Wagons are ugly, ugly cars.
There may not be a lot of us, but I'm sure those who bought wagons will disagree. Take a trip to Europe where you will see many variations of a wagon on the Autobahn, especially in Germany where I live. You can't possible say that all those cars on the road are ugly. But you are entitled to your opinion.

In closing, listen up Ford, bring the wagon to the US. It can't that much more difficult to manufacture/federalize. Just don't produce as many if you think it won't sell. You only need to send one to the dealer lot for a demo and let the rest of us custom order. I have driven the Euro spec model and I love it. BRING IT!

#5 ·
Been thinking of getting my wife a used wagon. At least for me Wagon > Minivan, although those Mazda minivans don't look that bad.

I really do like the way the new one looks, would definately make an appealing family car.

#61 ·
EXACTLY...this would definitely have been what we bought! My wife wanted a hatch, as she is always getting sales samples and literature out of the back for her clients...With the wagon, we could have had room for her materials AND room for groceries on the weekend...C'mon ford!

Ford also projected that 70% of Focus' would be sedans...I dont know the numbers, but I seem to see alot more hatchs on the road, and now on dealer lots...

#7 ·
I still contend that we will not see a wagon version here in NA. Ford is building other vehicles to fill the 5 passenger with cargo space niche. Check out the Fiesta based CUV and the Vertrek, also the B-Max and C-Max, although currently not scheduled to come to NA, the C-Max fills the family mover/station wagon niche for Ford. The Focus is very popular in it's current forms, Ford probably does not to jeopardize that success.

#9 ·
Agree. i just am blind to what is special about a wagon that is NOT the five door?
They are like the exact same idea with a very slight difference in rear body structure.. (not even enough to note really except from a style standpoint. From a functional point of view my five door hatch IS a station wagon IMO)
Is it just the wagon is a little more conservative styling?

#11 ·
I like the look of the hatch better - and both US models seem to be selling well. I think the wagon market is a small niche that is under-appreciated in the US.

#17 ·
Well, station wagons got a bad image after every single suburban American family had one back in the day.
Like hatches. for aawhile they were all the rage, then they totally disappeared.
The SUVs took over. now plenty of hatches are back, all looking like little versions of SUVs. I noted my 2012 Focus is at least six to eight inches wider across the wheels than the two earlier Focus in my parking structure. (I only walked it off, not actual measuring taped it)

#19 ·
My best friend owns a Ford Dealership. When the previous Ford Focus Wagon was available in Canada, it accounted for 40% of his total sales, for the year...the Wagon version Focus may not have been a big seller in the states, but it sold like hot cakes in Canada. In the past, Canada pretty much had to settle for what "sold" in the U.S. and that dictated what we would be able to buy. That is not the case anymore, car companies are building product for specific markets, including some "only in Canada" models. If Ford really is leaning towards a true "global car" strategy, then it would make sense to bring the wagon to North America and most certainly Canada. Not everyone wants to drive a minivan or SUV/CROSSOVER but, they may need more cargo space than a sedan or hatchback offer, voila....a wagon version may just fit the bill.

#14 ·
I hope so (or a fusion wagon).........

I want my 2000 wagon back.

I switched with my parents 2002 SE sedan because my dad needs a walker (lower back nerve damage)

With the wagon, my parents can easily put the walker in the rear section.

Bit of a PITA putting the walker in the sedan (even with the rear seats folded down)

I don't think the hatch has enough room to easily fit a walker behind the rear seats.

So with the average age of americans getting older, maybe we will get a wagon.........

#20 ·
Of course, a solution would be to have a limited run made at the factory without paint, and make it a factory-only order. Produce them in sets of 3000 vehicles or something, and if the parts are mostly the same as the regular hatchback version, the parts COULD be recycled. The only problem is that the time from order to delivery has been fairly long, which would reduce the demand for them, but having them available might be worth it to Ford.

#31 ·
I'm not sure about a wagon. There will be a Ford C-Max Hybrid and Ford Escape in the future. The wagon would appeal to the small segment of buyers that are not interested in a hatchback, compact MPV, or compact crossover SUV. I was thinking that Ford may want to do a Ford Fusion wagon, but then there's the Ford Flex. Maybe we'll see a Lincoln wagon to compete with the CTS-V. Now, if the C-Max Hybrid and Escape don't sell well, then I can definitely see the a Focus Wagon being introduced in the US.

#34 · (Edited)
IMHO Ford is being very hypocritical.
These are facts stated by Ford in the last few months.
1.Customers continue to prioritize fuel economy.
2.Recent research by Kelley Blue Book revealed that U.S. consumers noted better fuel economy as the main reason for planning to purchase their next vehicle, and that has been on the rise since the beginning of this year, Ford sales trends support that.
“Customers have come to expect fuel efficiency with every new vehicle Ford delivers today".

And here is the kicker which throws Fords excuse that in the past no one bought wagons. out the window!
"Ford believe there is a significant shift occurring that will make small cars as successful in the next decade as SUV’s were in the 90’s."
Fords head of marketing Jim Farley has been preaching
"American consumer tastes have changed"
"Today’s consumer is smart. They’re sophisticated. They understand – and reject – what worked in the past. Because this is a new age."
" the perception of many Americans is shifting quickly as the world gets smaller and consumers grow more diverse. And young people show openness to body styles beyond the ubiquitous sedan."

So is what Ford preaches just marketing fluff, or Ford does not want to offer too much of a good thing pertaining to the #1 reason to buy a new vehicle "fuel efficiency" , or is the real reason Ford just cannot wean itself from the mega huge profits CUV & SUV's generate.

I have to assume it is the last one "huge profits" that is the real reason why Ford does not want to add the Focus wagon to the line up, because head of marketing Jim Farley's facts and figures sure do make for a good business case to add another model which attains great fuel efficiency, great driving experience, practical and very useable cargo carrying abilities, and suits the young peoples openness to different body styles.
[idea]

And to the question, yes of course Ford N.A. should sell the wagon in North America, it's a no brainer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.