Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 Focus Hitch is available

106K views 222 replies 89 participants last post by  Ductape91 
#1 · (Edited)
UPDATE: UHaul probably did me a big favor. After sending me the wrong hitch twice, I've cancelled the order. I'm looking at the Hidden Hitch brand since it requires NO drilling and NO "reaming" with a die grinder of the Focus' frame. The Curt Hitch DOES require drilling two holes and reaming of your cars frame rail access hole. I just placed a phone order for the Hidden Hitch (part #24872) from etrailer.com for $159.00.

Product information page...
http://www.hiddenhitch.com/content/products.aspx?lvl=3&parentid=0&catID=1005&part=24872
Instructions for the Hidden Hitch...
http://www.hiddenhitch.com/content/downloads/installation/N60290.pdf

Hidden Hitch installed...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34042051@N06/5852711055/sizes/z/in/photostream/

2012 FOCUS...

Below is the actual product picture from Curt. www.curtmfg.com

Details and pictures here...
http://www.thehitchstore.com/images/documents/CM-11158-INS.pdf

Curt has the hitch for around 220.00 MSRP. Product # 11158 (129.00 street price)

UHaul sells the Curt hitch as their part #24857 branded UHaul for 149.00 (pdf installation instructions are dated 5/18/2011). Free shipping.

The main body of the hitch is hidden behind the rear fascia (very good).

I am wondering how this class of hitch holds up to a bike rack with two bikes. Does anyone have experience with class I hitches hauling bikes on a bike rack without additional stabilizing straps? The installation document I downloaded from UHaul says it voids the warranty if the Curt stabilizer strap part #18050 (available on Amazon) is not used.

Also, I'd like to here if anyone has had issues with Ford's warranty after installing a hitch. Ford doesn't rate the 2012 Focus for towing. I think previous years were rated for a small amount. A mechanic said they check to see if the car has trailer wiring installed to see if a person has been using the hitch for trailer towing. So, be aware of this if you're concerned about warranty compliance. Please reply if you have more info on this subject.

Thanks

See less See more
#9 ·
Moved to "Third Generation Ford Focus (2012)"

#11 ·
I have a2009 HHR with a One and a quarter inch U-Haul Hitch and I haul my mobility scooter on a metal grated platform (which would definitly weigh a lot more than a bike rack with two bikes attached) and have made a lot of long trips with same. You should have NO trouble at all.

#14 ·
Links to pictures of installed hitch are in the first post.

#13 ·
Reverse sensors will beep with bike rack and bikes

I know the reverse sensors system will beep (not continuously) when you have a bike rack with a bike on it. According to the manual "a control in the message center allows this to be disabled", but I think that's wrong. I just went through all the menus and can't find a way to disable it. Not that I care to disable it anyway, I just checked before posting.

My friend's Explorer allows you to disable the rear sensors. I think because it has a towing capacity and makes sense if you want to back a boat into the water without the distraction of the warning beeps.

Since the 2012 Focus is not rated for towing it makes some sense that they don't provide a way to disable the rear sensors.

#15 ·
I know the reverse sensors system will beep (not continuously) when you have a bike rack with a bike on it. According to the manual "a control in the message center allows this to be disabled", but I think that's wrong. I just went through all the menus and can't find a way to disable it. Not that I care to disable it anyway, I just checked before posting.

My friend's Explorer allows you to disable the rear sensors. I think because it has a towing capacity and makes sense if you want to back a boat into the water without the distraction of the warning beeps.

Since the 2012 Focus is not rated for towing it makes some sense that they don't provide a way to disable the rear sensors.
For the Focus without the auto parking package, when you put the car in reverse a "rear park aid" overlay will appear in the message center, and you can select on or off.

#20 ·
This is the one I'm looking at as well....AND my car is supposed to be in on the 15th too. I like the no drill feature, but I'm curious to know about this "heat shield trimming" that has to be done. I'd love to see pictures when you get it.

I will purchase one of these, I'm just not sure I want to do it this year. The time for using it (since I just haul my mountain bikes) is coming to a close, and I'd like to avoid any sort of rust this year from winter salt.

#23 ·
Love to hear of experiences with the Hidden Hitch and a bike rack.

I bought the Sport Wing 2 Bike Rack made by Reese/Highland. I liked the price and it is not bad. The only drawback is the bike that is mounted next to the car/on inside, is the closeness of the bike pedal to the bumper. (could scratch paint if not careful loading/unloading). I seen a suggestion on a Mountain bike review of the Rack, that said they used a 'can coozie' over the pedal next to the bumper.
The only modification made was I added a shim between the carrier shank and the hitch itself. It had a little too much left to right movement for my liking.
I have a Curt 1 1/4 trailer hitch on my Focus.

#24 ·
Put the hitch on my car, literally took 30 minutes max. Very simple. I'd definitely suggest putting it on while the car is new. I have the curt hitch and it fit perfectly. I have a Yakima hold up. The connector is a screw in type, seems to hold it very solid.

Jesse - I didn't trim the heat shield, there was no need but I'm just curious as to why they advised to trim it. I'll post the few pics I have.

#32 ·
In anticipation of ordering and installing either a Hidden Hitch or Draw Tite, I sent a note to technical support asking about the heat shield.

Here is the response:

The hitch needs to contact the frame without anything in between. If there is material between the frame and the hitch, bolts may loosen up.

Thank you for contacting the Technical Group

Cequent Performance Products

#36 ·
Just an update. I was speaking with my Salesguy/Dealer about installing the Curt hitch. They said installing this, and drilling into the frame as required by the Curt hitch would void my warranty, period. I called The Hitch Store and the sales rep sheepishly agreed that installing it would probably invalidate my warranty and that it was my responsibility. Needless to say I'm not going to void the warranty on a 5 day old vehicle. The Hitch Store agreed to take back my order for a full refund so I'm sending it back. The dealer did point out the vehicle was not rated for towing and I explained I wanted it for a cargo and bike rack, not towing any sort of trailer. Did mention the hitch that doesn't require drilling. He felt I fell in a grey area doing that, they'd service the vehicle as long as the no-drill hitch couldn't be at fault for whatever was wrong.

Anyway, don't know if all dealers feel the same way about things. As I said, I don't feel like risking it. So the hitch is going back and I'll re-consider my options at a later time.

#38 ·
A hitch does not invalidate the powertrain warranty. How would they even know you towed something? Certainly don't volunteer that info.

I've put hitches on a few cars with the same or less torque than the Focus: S2000, Prelude (trailer wiring built in), Vibe (hitch mount holes factory built in)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.