Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Daytime running lights (DRL)

99K views 188 replies 69 participants last post by  ALJ1993 
#1 ·
I would like to purchase a 2012 Focus with DRL. The dealer says this option is not available. How can this be when Fleet vehicles and Canadian Cars have this feature? There must be some way to activate this feature!!! Anyone
know how?

#103 ·
My Focus was a Canadian Built model. It had the DRL's from the factory. I didnt like the feature. 1. my lights were on all the time. 2. my auto lights werent available due to lights being on all the time. 3. because they were on all the time, id hate to be sitting in a parking lot waiting for my wife and someone would think i was leaving when they saw my lights on and would sit and wait for me.

i had my technician at the dealership go in with the IDS and turn them off. We also had a technician who wanted his Focus to have them, so he turned them on with the IDS on his 2012.

It can and has been done both ways. It takes about 40 minutes to do. If a customer comes to my shop and asks me to do it, we will charge a half hour labor to do it.

#107 ·
My Focus was a Canadian Built model. It had the DRL's from the factory. I didnt like the feature. 1. my lights were on all the time. 2. my auto lights werent available due to lights being on all the time. 3. because they were on all the time, id hate to be sitting in a parking lot waiting for my wife and someone would think i was leaving when they saw my lights on and would sit and wait for me.
Technically you mean a Canadian specification model, but it was not built in Canada. No MK3 Focus is built in Canada period. All the North American spec models are built in the Wayne, Mi, Michigan Assembly plant. Lol.

#113 ·
interesting... I like the Light "bar" like on the Taurus, Fiesta, edge, etc..... i got a pair of Taurus one to test some retrofitting.

#116 · (Edited)
They look pretty much the same as the ones on Mercedes. May or may not be everyone's style. They provide good visibility which is what matters most to me.

Edit - yup saw a C300 on the way into work. Same look. Similar location.

Sent from my Obamaphone using Tapatalk.

#122 ·
Can we get some photos of the DRL when they are on on a Canadian model? And can anyone else confirm or deny that the rear lights are on when the DRL are on?

I know on Honda when the DRL are active the high beam indicator glows but dimly. With the Focus is there any indication that the DRL are on?

#127 ·
living where i do im in quebec all the time and quebecois are down here alot , too... All the canadian foci i see have ALL the lights on, just as my american version did when i asked to activate the DRLs... I since, had them deactivated and connected my unused fogs to act as DRLs.

So,, in answer to ur question, yes the canadian versions have all the lights on all the time... stupid, imo... No other maker to my knowledge does this... As far as i know all other marques have reduced voltage hi beams on as DRLs and no other exterior lights.

#125 ·
I can take a pic of the place you need to plug into, but these lights don't last long, I went through 4 sets in a 3 month timeframe. they are not sealed and when it rains they get water in them. I tried sealing up the last set I had, opened em up and rtv'd them in , but a rock or 2 later, lens got a small crack and water seeped in again.

#133 ·
I am super satisfied with my Echomaster DRLs. They are very bright, work perfectly and look good.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using FF Mobile.
Biggest problem with those is when grill options come out "hint hint" then you cant change

#136 ·
In the US they Don't... its a module you would have to have turned on, or just put your own in.

#139 ·
So, is DRL something the dealer can tell your BCM to "turn on"?

#147 ·
Man I love the Euro headlights. No fugly orange turnsignal, just clear lens with amber bulbs. WHY FORD couldn't you do the same on all of them IDIOTS!.

The new lower Grill lights come with a new grill or just the lights? If it is the entire grill is it painted gloss black? Most of the LED Daytime running lights I've seen on ebay that utilize replacement of the entire triangle grill come only in flat black. My Ti. has black glossy grills that I'd like to match.

#154 ·
Forgive me if I missed it, but has anyone located a 12V constant that is switched with ignition? I want to run my DRL full time whenever the car is running. Yes even at night. [^]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.