Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Daytime running lights (DRL)

99K views 188 replies 69 participants last post by  ALJ1993 
#1 ·
I would like to purchase a 2012 Focus with DRL. The dealer says this option is not available. How can this be when Fleet vehicles and Canadian Cars have this feature? There must be some way to activate this feature!!! Anyone
know how?

#164 ·
I'll follow your foot steps on this since. I'm assuming that location in the fuze box is an ignition activated power source but do my heated mirrors run all summer or are they temperature activated?

My DRL setup will be 2 12" led strips cut down to size and placed in the bottom nook of our trianlge inserts with a small pin hole for the wires to go through. DRL's for less than $15 is my goal, if it looks like rice or crap it's instantly off. If it looks like I'm imagining/planning in my head then I'll post up for everyone.[woot]

#168 ·
Thanks to Shade-10's suggestion! I used the switched female terminal located in the fusebox by the battery. Crimped on a standard size spade lug and plugged it in! Simple as pie. [thumb]

So here's mine! Hasn't anyone else thought of these? I came across some prepackaged side pointing SMD LEDs at Wallyworld, and the wheels started to spin. So I dug some up on eBay for fractions of the price. What do you think?

They just stick on, and run the length of your headlight.

Once the headlight is installed, no one even know they are there!

Look pretty good with the headlights on too. [thumb]

#169 ·
Thanks to Shade-10's suggestion! I used the switched female terminal located in the fusebox by the battery. Crimped on a standard size spade lug and plugged it in! Simple as pie. [thumb]

That is Exactly the place to connect it... Key on Power [thumb] I just took some pix, but now I dont need to put them up ... Awesome [thumb]

Looks Good dude [:)]

#174 ·
No. The ones I purchased were from a US seller and were 60 side mounting SMD LEDs on 24". I went back to look for more, and they were sold out already. But I'm sure they are similar.

Looks awesome. Would it be possible to get a similar photo but during the day. I want to get an idea of how bright they are at distance in the daylight.[cheers]
I'll try to grab a shot soon. They aren't super bright in direct daylight since there is no reflector assembly. But I didn't want anything bulky to begin with. So they fit the bill. [;)]

#179 ·
Drl

Just recently had PIAA DRL LEDs installed on my daughter's SE 2014 Focus. I bought them from CarToys and very satisfied how they turned out. Since she has the headllight switch on auto they come on when she turns the car on. When it starts to get dark and the headlights come on the DRL turn off. Also had the headlight blubs replaced with PIAA Xtreme white plus. Next the fog lamps.

Attachments

#180 ·
Nice. I like that they work like they're supposed to.
Did you install them or someone else?

#182 ·
focus 2015 configurable DRL?

I was looking at 2015 fusion on youtube. located this feature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2CecCRSVQc configurable DRL. I haven't been able to get any real informaton on the 2015 focus hopefully they will make some available soon.. If they can configure DRL in a fusion I can't see why a Focus wouldn't be able to have the same feature... I really like the idea of being able to configure the DRL instead of all or nothing.

#183 ·
I was looking at 2015 fusion on youtube. located this feature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2CecCRSVQc configurable DRL. I haven't been able to get any real informaton on the 2015 focus hopefully they will make some available soon.. If they can configure DRL in a fusion I can't see why a Focus wouldn't be able to have the same feature... I really like the idea of being able to configure the DRL instead of all or nothing.
Except for us in Canada where I'm sure Ford doesn't allow "configurable" DRLs due to law. The one thing I really hate about the new Fusion's DRLs is they've done that stupid thing Chrysler started doing 5 years ago where if you put the turn signal on, the DRL on the same side of the car will turn off. So stupid.

#187 ·
So, to the guys who are just doing LED strips around the headlights; you're not having the dealer turn on the DRL function right? You're just hooking up an ignition fuse.

Looking at these, I guess. Not really sure what I want to look for.
LED 12V 12" 24" Car Motor Vehicle Boat Flexible Waterproof Strip Lights Durable | eBay

Waterproof, 24" long so I can cut to length, 3M tape.

What I'm not sure of is, which LEDs do I want? I want them to look like as close to a seamless strip as possible. Looks like no matter which I choose they're spaced the same distance apart (both options have 36 LEDs per 24"). So logic says I want the larger LEDs, right?

Thanks!

#189 ·
Got mine from eBay and had them in for a while now, they are 50% dimmed when my headlights are on (headlights come on automatically here) and the turning signals work great. However when I switch to side/parking lights they should be on 100% but they don't work at all. Not the biggest problem in the world but wondered if anybody had come across the same problem before and resolved it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.