Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 Focus - Rough Idle

77K views 90 replies 44 participants last post by  stoof2010 
#1 ·
Hi everyone....

I just bought a 2012 Focus SEL a couple weeks ago. Love the car, but have been noticing that the engine seems a little rough at idle. I was just wondering if any other new owners have noticed this or if this is just an issue with my car?

Thanks!

#2 ·
In my experience it doesn't like to move at very low speeds such as idle or idle++. Pulling into a parking spot in a garage, where over shooting the spot really hurts, requires a little more touch than I'm used to. I had read similar reports prior to taking delivery so I figure it's just the way it is.

#3 ·
I'm at 1100 miles now and still have a "rough idle". However I'm new to Ford so I have no clue what a good idle is on the Duratec engine. My tach needle is dead nuts though. I have a MTX and the only issue that REALLY bothers me is the lag between the gas pedal and the throttle body. However I figure things will mellow out as it breaks in.

I've already been back to the dealer twice for a "clunk" in the front. They had me drive another 2012 and sure enough it was the same. I guess that's a Ford suspension. I was coming from a Camry with nothing but smooth comfort. To a degree I miss it!

#4 ·
As a owner of a few 2.0T VW engines over the last few years I have noticed that the idle on the Direct Injection engines is rougher then traditional injection engines, especially the earlier models. My earlier FSI is alot rougher then the newer TSI engine on our GTI. I've heard similar complaints with the Sonata's 2.0 and the CTS's 3.6. If you really want a tractor like sound, test drive a B7(05.5-08) Audi A4.

#5 ·
No experience with the Focus yet, but DI engines do seem to be a bit more jittery at idle and low RPMs in general than traditional FI engines, so maybe that's all it is.

#7 ·
low idle was one of the design objectives to get better MPG ... you know when you have a problem if it stalls at idle. we seemed to get used to it after a couple of weeks.

most noticeable is the back creep on hill once you have stopped ... and not that automatic nice hold like on a larger ford. or shifting into R and nothing happening until you step on the gas? not like the Freestyle where we have to keep the brake on when stopped and in gear.

automatic. whatever cheap gas is available.

#11 ·
Oh, yeah, that back creep was weird. Still used to my older Taurus and it would just stuck to an incline.

Yeah, probably my biggest "issue" with the car is how dead it is at idle and when you are off the gas. You do have to kind of punch it to even get it to creep into your garage.

Glad to hear this rough idle is normal-ish.

#9 ·
You can attribute the hill back creep and differences in reverse compared to your Freestyle to the dual clutch transmission. Its basically two manual gearboxes switching back and forth on shifts. Plus, the absence of the torque converter gives the transmission attributes of a manual gearbox.

#10 ·
The transmission can be a little odd. Give it a few hundred miles, it should get a lot better. My idle is smooth as butter, but letting it "creep" forward, its pretty rough. Much like a manual. Truthfully, going from a manual to a dual clutch is pretty simple, it behaves much like what it technically is, an "automated manual".

#12 ·
Funny there are similar complaints on the Hyundai boards about the 2011 Elantra. It has intermittent rough idle if engine is warm while in D but shifting to N makes it go away. Happens more often with AC on.

I did a quick google search for chevy cruze rough idle and they have complaints in forums too. Guess its a side effect of making fuel efficient cars.

#16 ·
I thought I read that there is a hill(or slope) sensor to keep the brake on for a second or two in order to avoid the problem with the roll-back while on a hill. Could it be that the early batches don't have this, or is it limited to that hill park assist button on the S/SE?

Edit: I was thinking of that Hill Stop Assist feature that probably SHOULD be included in all trims, but seems to only be in the SE(and maybe the S). That feature would prevent the roll-back we have noticed.

#17 ·
Hello,

It may take a while for your Focus to smooth out. If you are concerned about the shifting habits of it, you may want to bring it into the dealer to verify it is running correctly. If you feel it is an issue, please PM me with your VIN, contact information, mileage, and servicing dealer information and I will try to help.

Hill Start Assist is a feature of the PowerShift transmission. It automatically operates when a slope of 5 degrees or more is calculated, so you are on a smaller incline it will not activate.

~Natasha

#18 ·
It is direct injection, a friend of mine has a Cooper S with direct injection and you feel light litter at idle with his too, it is more efficient but not necessarily as comfortable. If enough people complain there will end up being a TSB where Ford will adjust the idle level.

#19 ·
Me too.

Love everything about my new Focus except that I was taken aback a little by rough, gentle shaking of the car when you let it creep forward with no acceleration. I first thought it might be stalling out or happening because of the strain of the A/C running. Still happens without A/C and sometimes to a small degree when you're completely stopped (foot on the brake). No change in the RPM's ever happens. Only have 200 miles on the car so I am willing to give it a little time to smooth out but I really wish it was smoother.

#21 · (Edited)
Love everything about my new Focus except that I was taken aback a little by rough, gentle shaking of the car when you let it creep forward with no acceleration. I first thought it might be stalling out or happening because of the strain of the A/C running. Still happens without A/C and sometimes to a small degree when you're completely stopped (foot on the brake). No change in the RPM's ever happens. Only have 200 miles on the car so I am willing to give it a little time to smooth out but I really wish it was smoother.
I've just got a 2012 Focus SE HB yesterday.

the car has a similar problem;

Drives well, but when it come to a complete stop, when rpm gradually fall just below 750 the car (or engine) starts shake (something like the engine hesitates and give impression that it is about to stall) while foot on brake. Interestingly, when A/C is on rpm keeps just around 750 and shakes less. Above 750rpm on idle there is no shake.

But the interesting thing is, I have test driven the same car before purchase and everything was so well while test driving, unlike after it is delivered.

What may change in between?

There can be many thing but first come into mind;

Does Ford use Premium gas when sending from factory, which increases performance and maybe give a smooth idle (can it make so much difference)?

Is Ford tune the engine for best mpg out of factory, or the dealership tunes before delivery (when delivered it was 30 km with 14.8 L/100km, and I know how the 20 km is spent)?

Or...[angel][wrenchin]

Is there anybody who has test driven the car which they have purchased and find some different experience before and after?

Is this a malfunction or just a simple fine tune, or just the matter of gas brand?

I did not find chance to consume the tank to try premium gas, but I will do so. Is there anybody who had similar problem and tried premium gas? Did this solved the problem?

I do not want to give the "brand new" to service for their experiments unless there is a real problem.

#20 ·
Hi straightboy,

I appreciate you giving your Focus a chance to smooth out. If it becomes more concerning, then I would recommend visiting your dealer to make sure everything is functioning correctly. If you would like additional assistance, please PM me with your VIN, contact info, mileage, and dealer. I will work with you to resolve it. Have a good day.

~Natasha

#22 ·
Rough idle

Hello,

We just bought a 2012 Ford Focus and the first thing I noticed was it seemed to bog down upon initial acceleration, just enough to make you glad
your not at a railroad crossing and it might die! I hate to take it to a dealer because I am of the belief the fewer monkies that put a wrench on the your
car the longer it will last. Nothing ever goes back in the box the way it was before you took it out. I guess I'll look for the technical data and see if there is something as simple as an idle screw that I can turn a click up amd see if it fixes the problem. Don't know if there is a recall or not. I like the car and am waiting for the turbo model st next year.

#23 ·
We just bought a 2012 Ford Focus and the first thing I noticed was it seemed to bog down upon initial acceleration, I guess I'll look for the technical data and see if there is something as simple as an idle screw that I can turn a click up amd see if it fixes the problem.
Hi abracobabra,

Welcome to the forum! The idle strategy is electronically controlled, and since yours is concerning, the dealer will be the best position to diagnose it and ease your worries. Please PM me your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state so I can help. Talk to you soon!

~Natasha

#24 ·
my only qualm

when my car is idle, it shakes and the idle doesn't feel smooth/consistent. I have an MTX. I also notice that the throttle is a bit delayed, and I basically have to give it a punch to get it to respond when starting from a complete stop. I think I just miss cables....[wrenchin]

#27 · (Edited)
when my car is idle, it shakes and the idle doesn't feel smooth/consistent. I have an MTX. I also notice that the throttle is a bit delayed, and I basically have to give it a punch to get it to respond when starting from a complete stop. I think I just miss cables....[wrenchin]
Hey DaeHanL,

That shake seems to be a concern for you. Have you taken the Focus to the local Ford dealer for diagnoses and repair? If not, I highly suggest that first step. If the issue persists and continues to be a concern for you, PM your VIN, mileage, history of issue, your contact information as well as dealer name and location and I will assist you further.

I have a 2008 SE with about 147K miles and I've had rough idle that comes and goes but seems to be around more often lately. I'm used to it now, I've tried replacing spark plugs, grounding the throttle body(which actually helped with better pedal response) and cleaning the MAF(which also helped for a little while). Does anyone know how long a MAF lasts or if the MAf is responsible for the rough idle.[boxface]
Hi Dmustang,

If the MAF is responsible for rough idle, your dealer will be able to review that issue. Take it to the dealer for a solution. If after the visit the issue persists, PM the VIN, mileage, your contact info and dealer info, so that I can further assist you.

I bought a '12 focus s 5 speed a few months ago and have the same issues. Bogs down on take off unless you slip the clutch more than I like. It definately scared me the first time I tried to hop into traffic. The other thing is the rough idle. Yes with the normal idle its a little rough but certainly not a concern but occasionally I get a drop in idle to about 350 rpm, not "normal". I did a little research on this and on the 2011 models there is a technical service bulletin for this exact sympton. I forgot to grab the printout I had of it with the tsb # but it listed the rough/low idle present with or without DTC's. The repair was to replace the throttle body. I dont know if this is the same exact problem but the tsb only applies to 2011 models. .
Hi Gearhead67,

TSBs are VIN-specific, and are performed when certain symptoms are exhibited. Keep in mind that even though some vehicles may appear to have the same issue, the cause may be different. This is why I suggest visiting the local Ford dealership for accurate diagnoses of your Focus. Keep me posted on the results. You can also PM the VIN, mileage, description of issue, your contact info and the dealer info.

Happy Holidays!

Noemi

#25 ·
I have a 2008 SE with about 147K miles and I've had rough idle that comes and goes but seems to be around more often lately. I'm used to it now, I've tried replacing spark plugs, grounding the throttle body(which actually helped with better pedal response) and cleaning the MAF(which also helped for a little while). Does anyone know how long a MAF lasts or if the MAf is responsible for the rough idle.[boxface]

#26 ·
I bought a '12 focus s 5 speed a few months ago and have the same issues. Bogs down on take off unless you slip the clutch more than I like. It definately scared me the first time I tried to hop into traffic. The other thing is the rough idle. Yes with the normal idle its a little rough but certainly not a concern but occasionally I get a drop in idle to about 350 rpm, not "normal". I did a little research on this and on the 2011 models there is a technical service bulletin for this exact sympton. I forgot to grab the printout I had of it with the tsb # but it listed the rough/low idle present with or without DTC's. The repair was to replace the throttle body. I dont know if this is the same exact problem but the tsb only applies to 2011 models. I have 10,000 miles on mine but I have yet to take it back to the dealer about this. If anyone has access to alldata or something you could post the tsb info. If not I will try to grab it tomorrow.

#30 ·
Test menu!! Very interesting

When you first start the car. Depress and hold the Ok button on the left side of the steering wheel. Test will appear in your dash . Scroll through it and you will see quite a few interesting items including the exact rpms (not just a sweeping hand) I would suggest a fluctuation of upto 75 rpms on a warm engine is acceptable on a direct injection engine.

#31 ·
I definately agree with you naomi about tsb's being VIN specific and I am definately not saying that this is the issue with my car or anyone elses. I just get tired of taking my vehicles to the ford dealer service departments (and I have been to a few to include this focus for other issues) and to be told "I see the sympton but we dont know whats wrong with it." Anyway here is the TSB info: this tsb does apply to other vehicles but this is FocusFanatics so

TSB #10-21-6

DTC P2111 OR P2112, OR LOWER THAN DESIRED ENGINE IDLE SPEED, ENGINE IDLE SPEED FLUCTUATES WITH OR WITHOUT DTC'S.

2010-2011 focus

ISSUE
2.0L may exhibit diagnostic trouble codes P2111, P2112, or the idle speed drops lower than desired and or fluctuates. The idle speed concern can be intermisttent and DTC's P2111, P2112 may or may not be present.

Applies to 2.0L engine with build dates from 2/11/2010 to 8/2/2010

SERVICE PROCEDURE

If vehicle exhibits any of the following symptoms, replace the throttle body

DTC P2111 and or P2112

Idle speed lower than desired

Idle speed fluctuates

I hope this helps somebody. I am going to try to find some time to get my car to the dealer but the bad thing is its intermittent and they may need to keep it for a few days. But once I do I will post the results from the visit.

Oh Flewse thanks for the tip thats a pretty cool feature. Unfortunately I have a base model and I dont have any buttons. According to the window build sheet I have a standard epuiped "options"

#32 ·
I definately agree with you naomi about tsb's being VIN specific and I am definately not saying that this is the issue with my car or anyone elses.
I hope this helps somebody. I am going to try to find some time to get my car to the dealer but the bad thing is its intermittent and they may need to keep it for a few days. But once I do I will post the results from the visit.
Hey Gearhed67,

Thanks for your understanding! Yes, please keep me posted on the results and if you need assistance send me a PM.

I wish you a safe and Happy Holiday!

Noemi

#33 ·
Ok I still havent taken my car to the dealer but I just got a recall notice in the mail. It is titled Emission Recall 11E04. Under "What is the issue" it states, "On your vehicle, the software calibration may not meet emissions diagnostic requirements, reducing its ability to fully monitor the effectiveness of certain powertrain components." Now whether or not this is related to the rough/low idle issue I dont know. I will call the dealership tomorrow and make an appointment to drop the car off. I will leave an update when I get it back.

#34 ·
Alright I just picked up my car from the dealer and to no surprise they cannot duplicate the rough low idle issue which is exactly what I expected the outcome to be. I will keep watching it but maybe the pcm reprogram from the recall fixed it. I only drove 7 or 8 miles so far but right now I am not a satisfied customer. If only LTD's got good gas mileage.:(

#35 ·
Hi gearhed67,

Sorry to hear about the outcome. Send me a PM with the VIN, current mileage as well as your personal and dealer contact info. I'll have the Customer Service Manager in your area provide some assistance.

Noemi

#36 ·
So I talked to the customer service rep from Ford today and they told me the same thing as the dealer "unless you can duplicate the issue we cant do anything about it". How about Ford duplicates the issue. Maybe I'll just mount a camara in my dash to video the gauges or I can teleport a ford tech into the car when it does it. This is beginning to irritate me.

#39 ·
It is unfortunate that I must say that I couldn't take the problems with my 2012 Focus. I traded it in yesterday. I now have a Fusion.[facepalm][facepalm]
Hi beerbooms,

Awww...I'm sorry you traded your Focus, but happy you're still a Ford family member. Enjoy your Fusion's new car smell and let me know if I can be of assistance in the future.

Jill (beerbombs), The Fusion is a really nice sharp car, and I have seen a lot of them on the road. I have neighbors that drive them and I have heard no complainants. I hope everything works well for you with the new ride.
Hello 2005_Focus,

Thanks for the encouraging words to our fellow poster. [thumb]

Take care!

Noemi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.