Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 Focus Sport Package - Changes?

32K views 94 replies 44 participants last post by  Stars4jon 
#1 ·
Thinking of replacing my 540i M-Sport with something I don't have to mess with every few weeks to keep on the road, so I went and looked at the 2012 Focus today. Usual story, sales guy was clueless, and couldn't answer any of my questions with any confidence nor let me drive a car I actually wanted (SE 5 door with sport package).

I drove an SE auto without the sport package, and the car was honestly too soft for me. It was comfortable and everything, but I could feel myself getting bored with it on the test drive. It felt like it had more body roll than my fiance's '06 Escape, not exactly what I'm looking for. The steering feel was also a little bit too light for me. I know it won't be anywhere near as heavy as my 540i (which has notoriously heavy steering with great feel for a recirculating ball box), but it was one oiled up finger on the steering wheel light with almost zero feedback.

I was under the impression that the sport package actually had some different suspension tuning, but the sales guy was adamant that it is just an appearance package with a leather steering wheel, 16" aluminum wheels, different seats design etc. He said multiple times that the suspension was the same sport package or not.

So any definitive info on if the suspension/steering assist is the exact same between a sport package SE 5 door car and one without the sport package?

Also, the sales guy couldn't answer my question on what type of screens on the dash/cluster come with the 201A vs. 203A packages. Do they both have the dual 4" screens, or does the 203A package get a larger screen in the middle of the dash? Still no nav from what I understand (I don't want it), but a larger screen would be nice for the extra $$$.

Thanks for any answers, as I think if I could find a knowledgable sales guy I'd have real answers to these simple questions.

As far as general impressions, the motor was nice if a bit gutless below 3k RPM (I only went up to about 4-4.5k RPM), but that's to be expected. I think the throttle mapping is very conservative for the first 50% of pedal travel to get better gas mileage figures. The auto was nice and smooth, but it was in a REAL hurry to get in a high gear, and did not like dropping down a gear in normal driving. There were quite a few 30 mph corners we came out of with it in a fairly high gear and below 2k RPM with almost no discernable power available on exit. It confirmed my fears that I don't think I could get along with any autobox after doing nothing but manuals for the past 13-14 years. The little rocker on the shifter would probably not do it for me either. Just not involving enough to actually make a difference over a "dumb" autobox.

Otherwise the car was very composed, if very soft in general. I could see it being fun on a daily basis revving out the little 2L to merge onto the highway with a manual. It seemed nice and quiet at the max speed we got it up to (about 50 mph).

See less See more
#3 ·
SE trim, the optional Sport Package gives you unique wheels, a sport-tuned suspension, sport seats, a few interior bits and a spoiler and blacked-out grille. If you opt for the PowerShift automatic transmission, you’ll also have the “SelectShift” functionality.

"more body roll then your 06 Escape" this I have a very hard to time with your perception on this. I think you need to drive both back to back and get back to us before making such a statement.
Sorry but IMO you lose any cred with me when you say such a thing.

#10 ·
The body roll was definitely present. Weight transfer is higher on the Escape due to the high CG, and I have no doubts the standard suspension Focus would have more lateral grip, but there wasn't much roll stiffness to counteract body roll. Like I said, it was a very comfortable ride, and you get that with low roll stiffness and very soft springs. I didn't take it out on track or anything, but the body roll was the first thing I noticed in a 30 mph corner at maybe .3 lateral G's.

I'm a driving instructor at track events, and have helped numerous people setup the suspension in their cars for track driving, as well as being a mechanical engineer, so I'm not ignorant of this issue.

Posted via FF Mobile Welcome to the forum. When I test drove an SE, the body roll was to be expected and I actually thought the steering feel was nice and heavy, at least compared to previous generation foci. It was also good for on the highway. Dont forget people you get rear disc brakes with the SE sport package as well.

To answer your question...

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2011/02/2012-ford-focus-titanium-suspension-walkaround.html
Excellent link!

I'll admit the steering feel was actually reasonable off center, but applying more steering angle seemed to make it lose resistance rather than gain it. This is my first electric hydraulic steering system experience, so maybe I was just preoccupied with the changing levels of assist that seemed to change based on steering angle. I'd probably be fine with it after getting used to it, but my 540i has unnaturally heavy steering for a PS car (with great road feel as a result), so it felt odd going back and forth to that.

A perspective posted yesterday by Mark Schirmer, Ford Comm on Facebook - "There are three modes, really. Normal Drive -- "D". Then a "sport" setting "S".. and it does everything for you. When you are in "S", you can also start flipping gears with the rocker switch. Once you start flipping, it will wait for you.. Hold a gear right near redline if you forget to shift. But I don't live on a racetrack, so not sure why I'd use that. The regular "S" mode changes the shift pattern noticeably. You come off the gas and jump on the brake, it will downshift two gears. Hot into an off ramp, it will hold a gear nicely. I like that mode very much, but as I noted, it does noticeable eat into the mileage. At 4.29 a gallon, I'm careful with that stuff now."
Gotcha, I didn't make any adjustments to the car in that respect, but I can see how the auto gets the manual on gas mileage after driving it in the normal mode.

I do like how the steering column telescopes. I found a pretty comfortable seating position fairly quickly in the car and didn't feel like I was struggling to reach the steering wheel. Being 6' 3" I hate the seating position in a lot of compact cars due to the far away positioning of the steering wheel. By the time I get the seat far enough back to be fine with respect to leg position I can barely touch the wheel with my fingertips. The Focus let me have a reasonable amount of arm extension with the wheel telescoped all the way out. I have my steering wheel extended 5" towards me in my 240SX track car just to be comfortable with it, so I'm pretty nitpicky on this issue.

Overall the car was good, and I suspect I'd be much more excited about it if I could drive an SE with the sports package.

#4 ·
Well, welcome to the forum! Take time to give us and intro.

I just picked up my '12 SE MTX Foci WITH sport package a couple days ago. Been cruising around town, and LOVE how it handles. I honestly wouldn't even mess with the suspension for anything aftermarket. The only benefit would be to lower it. I would do the suspension on all of my imports, so my taste for a tight suspension is sufficiently meet by what comes with the sport package.

Springs on SE WITHOUT Sport Package
# BV61-5310-NG* Left Front Coil
# BV61-5310-NG* Right Front Coil
# BV61-5560-NG* Left Rear Coil Spring
# BV61-5560-NG* Right Rr Coil Spring

Springs on SE WITH Sport Package
# BV61-5310-NF* Left Front Coil
# BV61-5310-NF* Right Front Coil
# BV61-5560-NF* Left Rear Coil Spring
# BV61-5560-NF* Right Rr Coil Spring

#21 ·
Springs on SE WITHOUT Sport Package

Springs on SE WITH Sport Package
# BV61-5310-NF* Left Front Coil
# BV61-5310-NF* Right Front Coil
# BV61-5560-NF* Left Rear Coil Spring
# BV61-5560-NF* Right Rr Coil Spring
Can anyone tell me if the sport package springs on the SE are the same as the springs on the SEL? Or is the SEL the same suspension setup as a stock SE?

#5 ·
Yes, in addition to three sets of springs, Fordparts.com also shows 3 different front/rear shock absorbers - Shock Absorber with Standard Suspension, Shock Absorber with Handling Suspension, and Shock Absorber with Touring Suspension. Different front lower control arms - one for 15" wheels and one for 16" 17" wheels (doesn't mention the 18", but would assume it is the same). Different rear suspension knuckles - one for 15" 16" 17" wheels and one for 18" wheels.

#6 ·
#7 ·
As far as general impressions, the motor was nice if a bit gutless below 3k RPM (I only went up to about 4-4.5k RPM), but that's to be expected. I think the throttle mapping is very conservative for the first 50% of pedal travel to get better gas mileage figures. The auto was nice and smooth, but it was in a REAL hurry to get in a high gear, and did not like dropping down a gear in normal driving. There were quite a few 30 mph corners we came out of with it in a fairly high gear and below 2k RPM with almost no discernable power available on exit. It confirmed my fears that I don't think I could get along with any autobox after doing nothing but manuals for the past 13-14 years. The little rocker on the shifter would probably not do it for me either. Just not involving enough to actually make a difference over a "dumb" autobox.
A perspective posted yesterday by Mark Schirmer, Ford Comm on Facebook - "There are three modes, really. Normal Drive -- "D". Then a "sport" setting "S".. and it does everything for you. When you are in "S", you can also start flipping gears with the rocker switch. Once you start flipping, it will wait for you.. Hold a gear right near redline if you forget to shift. But I don't live on a racetrack, so not sure why I'd use that. The regular "S" mode changes the shift pattern noticeably. You come off the gas and jump on the brake, it will downshift two gears. Hot into an off ramp, it will hold a gear nicely. I like that mode very much, but as I noted, it does noticeable eat into the mileage. At 4.29 a gallon, I'm careful with that stuff now."

#12 ·
That was my perception, and I was honestly surprised at the apparent amount of body roll in what I'd call "very light 2/10ths driving." There was noticeable "wind up" in the suspension as it rolls before the roll stiffness arrives, making me think quite a bit of the roll stiffness comes from the sway bars. It wasn't that the car was scraping the doorsills in light driving, but there was quite a bit of body roll.

The Escape is a base model and it belongs to my fiance, so I've got quite a few miles driving it. I won't say it corners super flat, but there is little apparent body roll in light driving. The 06 Escape has a higher ride frequency and stiffer ride than the Focus I drove. I'd say overall blend of comfort/performance was better on the 2012 Focus, but it was definitely tilted WAY towards comfort.

#13 ·
Just bought an se with the sport package last night. Car has almost no body roll. I am coming from an 07 impreza and the focus rides much firmer and is much more planted in the corners. Also I have put many miles on many different escapes and you are out of your mind saying an escape has less body roll.

#14 ·
Posted via FF Mobile I dont know if he was really saying that.

But in regards to the focus, my 03 has a decent amount, but never once has that caused any problems for me. The focus stays planted and has tons of grip for a compact "economy car". Its been proven on race tracks and autox courses. Even when it gets onto three wheels it still has tons of grip. The mkiii is even better then our first generations, I expect the suspension to be just as good and then some.

#15 ·
Than a non sport-package Focus, yes it does feel that way. I'll put it this way, in corners where there was such a small amount of body roll to remain undetected on my 540i (not exactly the stiffest sprung car in the world and 3700 lbs), the Focus was rolling over quite a lot.

It was enough that there was a distinct difference in roll to actual weight transfer and "taking set" into a corner.

I understand you guys like your Focii, but come on, a base model/non-sport package Focus is going to be engineered to be right up there with the softest sprung cars available to capture that 95% of the driving public that just wants a comfortable car that doesn't transmit bumps while driving from point A to point B. I wasn't expecting BMW M3 type roll stiffness from the base model, but it was way more on the comfort side than I could ever see myself being happy with right now in a new car.

#16 ·
i would just hold out for the focus youd be most happy with. i understand the new focus is a rare commodity right now but as the weeks progress there should be more to choose from on the lots. ive test driven both SE's and i can say you want the sport package. yes, you do. i totally agree with everything you said about the standard se, with the exception of more body roll than the standard escape (i dont have an escape to compare it to). the standard se, i almost fell asleep... it was a lot like a toyota. the sport package took the suspension/chassis a step in the right direction so it was well worth the additional money. youll feel a difference if you get to test drive both back to back like i did.

as far as the trim packages, im still confused about what trim level can be optioned with what. this has to be the most confusing car to equip properly ive ever seen in my life. i have the manual that dealers get to sell these things and im still confused so i can understand why the salesmen are clueless, so id cut em some slack. the best advice is to go to ford.com and review the options there. it kinda helps... kinda.

if all else fails, hold out for the focus st :)

#17 ·
Yea, I've done the Ford.com build your own Focus a few times, but I still get a little confused on what the different My Ford Touch/Sync etc. packages actually mean as far as interfaces and what screens etc you get. They don't do a good job of describing it for someone who is not intimately familiar with what the systems mean to the new Focus.

As for the ST - not interested. My track car is 2500 lbs and near 400 rwhp, so it mostly satisfies my need for speed. Plus it pulls over 1.1 G lateral sustained. :) I've given up on "fast" daily drivers that still leave me a bit wanting in the speed department, but return fairly ho-hum gas mileage. Honestly, the thought of picking up a BMW E36 M3 ('98 or '99, as the last model years) has crossed my mind. I've owned 2, and they're probably the best street cars I have ever driven, but they're getting fairly old at this point. Car and Driver rated them as the best handling car at any price when they were being made, and I'd definitely have to agree when it comes to blending comfort and handling prowess. But I think I'd ultimately be happier with a newer car that gives better gas mileage and I don't have to mess with every few weekends to keep running. Speaking of that.. about to pop out and replace the water pump on the 540i. Most cars it's about a 1 hr job, it's probably a 4-5 hr one on this car. Joy....

#28 ·
Yea, I've done the Ford.com build your own Focus a few times, but I still get a little confused on what the different My Ford Touch/Sync etc. packages actually mean as far as interfaces and what screens etc you get. They don't do a good job of describing it for someone who is not intimately familiar with what the systems mean to the new Focus.
The regular Focus comes with a small monochrome information center in between the gauges and the normal radio.

A focus with SYNC w/ MyFord Will get you dual 4 inch color screens, one in between the gauges, and one as the radio screen. This version of SYNC, Gen1, is the sync that has been available on all the other cars, plus a few enhancements, such as being able to say "play song" versus "play track" and being able to directly start a phone call from any level of the system.

SYNC with MyFord Touch will get you the 4 inch screen in between the gauges, and the large touch screen unit as the radio with all the features of the new Gen2 sync (10,000 voice commands, including being able to set temp, change media source, dual USB ports, etc)

Then you also have Sync with MyFord Touch with nav, which gives you the built in turn by turn on a map.

#18 ·
I don't have any experience with them myself, but going by what I've heard about the E39, I think any Focus will be a bit disappointing in comparison ;)

Speaking personally, I thought the SE with the sport package was a great blend of sport and comfort. Much smoother and quieter than my Mazda, but just about as much fun to drive.

#19 ·
The E39 is a pretty amazing car, definitely the best 5 series BMW has made. EVERY surface on the interior is soft touch, covered in leather etc. I have 18 way power seats in mine from a 750iL, 6 speed, tons of torque, nice V8 sound etc. But the car seems almost engineered to be impossible to work on, and the smallest jobs are 4-8 hour ordeals with hundreds of dollars of parts, and brittle plastic ones that you break along the way just touching them.

Amazingly fun car, but it grows old owning one after a couple of years.

#20 ·
About 3 years ago when I was shopping for my current car, the 528i was high on my list. It's universally loved (when it was still being made I remember CAR or TopGear or someone saying it was pretty much the best car in the world), plus it looks so good, and there were some in my price range. But while they have a decent reliability record according to Consumer Reports, I knew when something went wrong it would be expensive - and since I was in high school at the time, I went with a Japanese car instead :p

I still feel envious whenever I see an E39, though. Definitely my favorite BMW of the last few decades.

#23 ·
SEL springs

Same springs as SE stock.

#27 ·
Posted via FF Mobile SE and SEL are the same, Sport package SE is the same as titanium I believe and then different ones for the titanium handling package...maybe. Lol thats what I assume. Unless the se sport package is different from the titanium all together.

#30 ·
Stopped by the dealer today. My "sport package" suspension is the same at the "S" model. NOT the SEL, NOT the Titanium. NOT even the standard SE! The "S"!!! So..... Does this mean the sport appearance package is a demote in performance?!?!?!

#31 ·
Maybe it means that the standard SE gets a softer setup than the S, and the sport package firms things up by using the S setup. I personally don't think my SE sport is particularly stiff, but it does handle well enough.

Posted via FF Mobile

#32 ·
If I had to guess, I would guess that^^^^^^

Even the titanium is not that performance oriented. It's nice at low speeds, but driving quickly, it's got a fair amount of lean, though dive/squat is not bad at all, and it is pretty predictable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.