Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 owners Post your MPG's

236K views 1K replies 485 participants last post by  aaron.b 
#1 ·
All,
I test drove a 2012 Focus SE this weekend. I liked it alot, but, am still comparing (Cruze Eco is nice too). If anyone owns one, please post Real world gas mileage. I like the thought of the stick shift at 26/36 on the SE, but, the SEL has alot more options. This may force me to go with Auto at 27/37 (US Model). I'm hoping real world does get in the mid 30's. I know they just hit the lots, but, hoping some users have some miles on them!

#2 ·
Mods,

Can you "Sticky" this thread?

I think maybe it would help to post the average mpg and specify the average speed too (like 40 mpg under 65 mph of highway driving)..

It would also be interesting for the posters to specify not just the trim but also the other options they availed as some of those options will no doubt increase the weight of their respective Focus.

I for one am anxious to see on how effective is the technological enhancements that Ford has implemented in the Focus to achieve its MPG ratings like Active Grille Shutters, Aggressive Deceleration Fuel Shut-Off and etc.

#4 ·
Ford changes how they package things year to year on these cars, so don't assume that ordering a '12 is the same as ordering an '08. Point being that door guards were standard equipment on SE's in 04, but not in 05. Likewise in 04 if you ordered a roof rack with your wagon, you got cross bars, but not so in 05. The cross bars were $150ea.

Don't ask me why they do this, they just do.

#10 ·
Yes it has the shifter button on the auto stick! works nicely! Don't have SFE package but it does have the shutter grill and a faring under the car that makes the car more ergonomic? The car only has 100 miles. On the highway in NYC some stop and go traffic 65 mile per hour I was showing 35mpg. On city streets I have been getting 25-30 Ford says the motor will get optimum MPG after 3,000 miles at brake in! So im hoping for that 40-45 mpg that we hear about. My fusion would get 19 city 33 highway. My wife has an MDX Acura and she said "WOW" when she drove this car!

#11 ·
Hey guys.

I don't have my Focus yet [bigcry], but the SE hatch I test drove last month had very bad MPGs when I got in. But only after 3 miles of me driving (not a speed-happy dealer), I was able to boost MPGs from 18.2 to 18.8. I feel very confident that I'll average a combined MPG of 33-34.

Of course, I'll post as soon as I start driving the thing...but I have to get it first!

-B

#12 ·
I just picked up my 2012 SEL Hatch last night and averaged a little over 38 mpg (according to the trip computer, haven't run the numbers with the gas tank yet) but I'm very happy with 38 so far. The drive home was roughly 40 miles 70mph expressway and 75 miles of 55mph highway and driving normaly at the speedlimits. Dropping down a few mph would definitely peg it over 40. Can't wait to see how it does after breakin

#18 ·
Bought my 2012 SE two weeks age. 28.5 MPG on a tank with half being highway miles. Right now I am not very happy. My display hasn't shown higher than 31 MPG in over 600 miles. 99% of all driving miles are suburb or highway driving.
I drive a 2009 SE Coupe and when I first got the car I got roughly 27MPG average with 75% highway and 25% city driving. Now that it's thoroughly broken in I am getting a solid 30MPG with the same kinds of driving. Although I could possibly get more if I didn't have such a lead foot.

My point, if you want good gas mileage you have to drive to achieve it as well as wait for your car to break-in. City driving kills MPG, if you're doing lots of it vs. highway driving, that explains it.

#22 ·
Rye NY. They called me when they received the first two cars. I had done an internet inquiry about a month before. They were no BS i financed with FORD. It wasn't the best rate but I have been a loyal Ford customer and have had great experiences with them! I wish Ford great success! in Queens!

#21 ·
For those of you that are going off the computer readout...learn to do math. Those are a nice number game...but not that accurate overall.

Local dealership swore up and down their 09 was getting 40-42 in the city...sure enough the readout would hit that when coasting...

#24 ·
Man if I can hit 40mpg in my 08 with exhaust and intake bolt ons, imagine what these will get! Assuming their intakes/exhausts are restrictive =P

I imagine that figures around 45mpg on flat highways wouldn't be surprising with this treatment

#25 ·
Posted via FF Mobile Yes noobs lol, Im sorry but the trip computer is not very reliable. First off you need to break the car in. Then you need to be figuring out gas mileage by driving with a full tank, and when you go to fill up again, take the amount of gallons (exact) that went in and divide the miles you drove that your trip readout says with it. (trip readout/gallons put in = cars average mpg.)

#26 ·
Posted via FF Mobile Yes noobs lol
Well that was unecessarily insulting... I'm pretty sure we all know that the built in MPG reader may or may not be accurate. However, sometimes that's the best we can get. For me, the Focus is my wifes car. I get to drive it now and then, but certainly not most the time. And if you think that I am going to convince the wife to stand next to the car at the station and fill it up to the very tippy top, and then run the numbers on a calculator for me, then you don't know my wife. lol, I'm pretty sure my arguement of "but some folks on this internet site want to know the mpg!" would fall flat on its face.

Anyhow, You should be more nice to people, insulting people is a quick way to thin the ranks on any online forum.

#31 ·
There is a difference between ignorance (not knowing) and incompetence (knowing and not using the knowledge).

As far as the mileage computer, do your own experiments. Even dividing you trip miles by the number of gallons can be off by 1 mpg either direction because it's difficult to gauge how much you've put in a tank exactly. If you find a 1-2 mpg difference, then I'd call that insignificant. If it's more than that, then you'll have to figure out which one is more reliable. Typically, it's the old fashioned method. This applies to all vehicles- including the mighty Prius. I recently had a friend with a new Prius figure his mileage by using the old method, and he came up with only 36 mpg. We're still waiting on several tanks to average it out- that's my excuse to calm him down even though I know it's only going to average around 36.

#37 ·
I reset the computer today before leaving for work, and by the time I got back it was just over 30 mpg. That's a pretty dead mix of highway and city, plus it's a short ride (13 miles total) so it's not like it to cruise on the freeway for 30 miles and get killer mileage. That's about right with my kentucky windage math. Put just over 10 gallons in last fill up, drove just over 300 miles. Close enough for me...

#38 ·
By digital readout: 33.2mpg

- Average over full tank of gas
- 1100 Miles
- 42 mile daily commute, 2/3 highway, 1 day had horrid stop/go traffic one way
- Took it pretty easy...a full throttle blast or two on entrance ramps...definitely takes a hit there!

Gonna take another average doing everything reasonable (?) to improve mileage...I'll post after this tank. My guess is 38mpg best I can do.

#68 ·
Next tank by digital readout (was reset at fillup...just like last time): 37.2mpg
- 15XX miles on car
- same commute as above but more A/c (it's getting warmer...probably on 1/2 the time)
- CC set at 54mph the entire highway time
- Probably close to 100 miles w/ wife and 2 toddlers in the car
- 40psi in tires (35psi on last tank...door sill spec)
- Shifted in to N on all off ramps/down hills. MAKES BIG DIFFERENCE!
- Took it very easy...no full throttle.

cheers.

#41 ·
I just took possession of a loaded SEL - and was extremely dissapointed with the average mileage being only 24 MPG until I topped the tank and discovered I'm actualy getting 39 MPG! I set the trip odometers (1 and 2) at the same time - trip 1 says I'm getting 24.9 MPG average and trip 2 says 23.0 MPG! Then this morning the clock was an hour fast so I thought I was late for work, then when it turned from 6:59 to 6:00 then 6:01 (before I filled the tank) I figured ah ha - software glitch. Maybe mine has not been updated?
Otherwise I'm very pleased with the car!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.