Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 owners Post your MPG's

236K views 1K replies 485 participants last post by  aaron.b 
#1 ·
All,
I test drove a 2012 Focus SE this weekend. I liked it alot, but, am still comparing (Cruze Eco is nice too). If anyone owns one, please post Real world gas mileage. I like the thought of the stick shift at 26/36 on the SE, but, the SEL has alot more options. This may force me to go with Auto at 27/37 (US Model). I'm hoping real world does get in the mid 30's. I know they just hit the lots, but, hoping some users have some miles on them!

#1,350 ·
Ford Focus 2014/13 Fuel Economy

Hello All,

I am new to the forums, but I guess this would be the best place to ask, since my dealership always tends to tell me everything is as it should be.

So, long story short - we got 2014 Titanium Focus about 2 months ago.
Its has around 1400km on odometer. I know it will never hit the advertised 7.6Ltr /100km in the city, but now its sitting at 9.9l/100km for quite a while now.

I mostly do all of the driving in the City and try to go as easy as i can on it. I get around 370-380km when the low fuel light comes on (45Ltr Tank).
This vehicle has the 2 driving efficiency indicators - speed and anticipation, the speed one is always fully green, telling me i do a good job, but anticipation is always empty telling me I am terrible and apparently floor it all the time (which is bs).

So if any one here could let me know / share their experiences with newer Focus 13 - 14 models. How many Km do you get on one full tank?

#1,358 ·
we got 2014 Titanium Focus about 2 months ago.
Its has around 1400km on odometer. I know it will never hit the advertised 7.6Ltr /100km in the city, but now its sitting at 9.9l/100km for quite a while now.
I mostly do all of the driving in the City and try to go as easy as i can on it. I get around 370-380km when the low fuel light comes on (45Ltr Tank).
This vehicle has the 2 driving efficiency indicators - speed and anticipation, the speed one is always fully green, but anticipation is always empty

Hi D3ft0ne,

Welcome to the forum!. Please PM VIN, full name, telephone number, and dealer info; I would like to look into your concern. It stands to point out some factors concurring to your concern, and tips for better fuel efficiency.

Factors:
-Cold weather can increase fuel consumption, since the engine doesn’t operate efficiently until it is warmed up
-Winter fuel, sold during winter months, contains 2% less energy than summer fuel etc…

Better fuel efficiency:
-Keep tires properly inflated
-Use the right oil
-Keep wheels aligned
-Replace dirty air and oil filters etc…

I hope this helps!

Kwasi

#1,354 ·
Sadly this is like reading Chinese... Metric idiot here.
One thing which has actually given me wayyyy better Winter mpg is the freeflow airfilter and snorkle delete.
I have been getting 31 mpg plus, CITY driving only.. all Winter. this year. It has gone down one mpg when I half filled my tank with 87 octane.
Normally I use 93 octane
What this translates to in Yiddish.. oops I mean metric i have no idea. (Yes stupid American,,, sorry trying to be funny)

#1,359 ·
'like reading chinese'? please.. use a metric converter on line or better yet, remember what you were taught in school....the federal gov't military 'runs' on metric.. so i never understood americans' general dislike of the much easier system than is the system of english measurement. pretty much all cars are using metric measured parts, too

#1,362 ·
Averaging 25-27MPG mixed, depending on how much driving I do outside of my terrible stop-and-go work commute. Considering the winter weather, I am very pleased!

When I got the car, the info center had stored an average of 38MPG from the previous owner.

Currently running on "regular" 87 octane, might try premium to see what kind of a difference that makes.

#1,363 ·
Right now (Feb) I am getting 31 (by the computer) for 75/25 highway/city. 2013 SE w/5 speed, K&N, snorkel delete, regular fuel, and Yakima roof rack.

#1,364 ·
I've put almost 8k miles on mine in 5 1/2 months (up to 47k miles now). I have the 17 inch wheels (currently with blizzaks on) and averaged 39.8mpg (hand calculated) over a 2 day road trip span last weekend of just under 300 miles. That's by far the best tank I've had, and I doubt I could replicate it again lol

The drive home going 75-85mph with traffic most of the way and at least a 30mph headwind yielded ~28mpg. If I push it over 70mph my old 3.7L mustang actually got better mileage typically (car got a consistent 30-32mpg @ 80mph depending on weather).

FWIW my work has two 12' SE's with the stock 16inch conti's and I've easily averaged 38-40mpg on long (75+ mile trips) with those going between 70-75mph. I think the smaller tire size might play a factor and the fact the conti's might be lower rolling resistance the hankooks mine came with.

#1,369 ·
2012 bought new just under a year ago, have 40k on it already.
Freeway driving 75 or less I see 40~42mpg
freeway driving over 75 drops 36~38
my normaly commute averages 33 lots of stop n go, and 75~85 its a 65 mile 1 way commute and I often go a very twisty windy back why when traffic is bad

#1,372 ·
I have about 1200 on my 2014. I have filled 4 times. I am using two different iPhone apps and they match the dash readout. Until the last fillup. Decided to try the E85. Doubt I will ever do that again. While the dash readout only lost about 3 mpg when I filled and entered into my apps I was surprised. That tank dropped almost 7mpg. I do not like the E85 at all. It even started different. Had to crank longer. It's not worth the less per gallon. So far I am happy with my results with regular. Lot better than my PT cruiser I traded. Before the E85 attempt I was at 30.6 majority interstate driving. I know she is not broken in so hoping for higher numbers soon.
So happy with this car. Only car I liked better was my 94 Probe GT loved that car.

#1,375 ·
I've been using a 20 mile stretch of I-5 from south of Johnny Carson's Burbank north to around where I-5 and California 118 intercept as a test, since I'm on it a lot and I usually can hold a constant speed. Some things I've noticed:

68 MPH vs. 62 costs me about 4 mpg.

Summer fuel costs me maybe 1-2 mpg.

Headwinds: you lose 4-5 mpg.

MPG calcs can be just plain ol' erratic: I've had several trips, same temp (65-67 degrees) vary, with summer fuel and no "apparent" winds where the MPG fluctuates from 40.8 - 41.8 - 42.3 - 42.8... Unless the humidity plays a major factor, because we've had both onshore flow from the Pacific that's 30 miles over some hills, to an offshore flow that's from the desert and is very dry. I need to check the humidity before I leave.

Any ideas?

#1,380 ·
How were those mileage numbers derived? If from tank filling then you are unlikely to refill the tank to the exact same level every time and in fact it can vary by +/- 0.5 gallons or nearly 10% so a 10% variation about 42mpg would be 40-44mpg.

My dash indication of mileage is more accurate on a given tank than refill calculation because it's not effected by tank filling variation.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.