Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 owners Post your MPG's

236K views 1K replies 485 participants last post by  aaron.b 
#1 ·
All,
I test drove a 2012 Focus SE this weekend. I liked it alot, but, am still comparing (Cruze Eco is nice too). If anyone owns one, please post Real world gas mileage. I like the thought of the stick shift at 26/36 on the SE, but, the SEL has alot more options. This may force me to go with Auto at 27/37 (US Model). I'm hoping real world does get in the mid 30's. I know they just hit the lots, but, hoping some users have some miles on them!

#523 ·
I've had my SEL sedan since July. I'm getting 37 mpg if I behave, doing the speed limits, not pushing too hard on the "go" pedal, 33mpg when I drive it normally. One thing to consider when comparing vehicles is which one is a nicer car to drive, not just the mpg. I compared my Focus to an Elantra, the mpg "king", and well, we know what I bought.

#525 ·
I filled up the other day and did a good bit of highway driving, between 55-60mph. My average was 44mpg, It's down in the 30's now after a good bit of city driving, not too shabby!

Posted via FF Mobile

#526 ·
My interstate mileage is terrible on trips ~33 average (78 mph). I get around 29 on daily interstate "stop and go" / city driving for work. When I fill up and there's no traffic I'll go 60 mph only and see the MPG stick around 40 but I'm not going on a long interstate drive at 60 mph when. I'll do 78 mph and it goes back to 33 average.

#529 ·
Whoa - saw 46.5MPG on my titanium! :D

So, I reset the Avg. MPG just as I was getting on the highway for the 20-25min (~25km) drive home. I find it's very easy to get the Focus to up the Avg. MPG with use of a bit of pump and glide.

By the time I pulled in the driveway, it read 46.5MPG (not sure how accurate the computer is though). Outside Temp was about 11C and I was driving between 100-116km/h.

#531 ·
This is total mileage from day bought car to current odometer and all gas purchased

60.936 gallons of gas purchased.
drove 2,140 miles since bought
That makes the grand mpg average 35.1 mpg for all miles driven

Nearly all in city or in city freeways, only at most 200 miles out in countryside.
Manual tranny, I do have the Kysor shutters, and 44psi front, 37 psi rear tires.
Generally driving like an old granny at or below speed limits...

#536 · (Edited)
I have an sfe with a little over 1800 mile on it, mostly suburban driving, maybe 100 or so true hwy miles, my average so far is 36.3. I am selling my 89thunderbird SC, I love that old car, had it since it was new, but I love twice the gas mileage even more.
My first car was an '87 thunderbird, man I loved that car.

I posted on the first page of the fuelly thread, but I started keeping track of my SFE at about 1500 miles or so, and have been tracking it for just shy of 10,000 miles now. My mpg on Fuelly is a spot on 38 mpg for combined driving, the majority of which is highway.

edit: Just noticed both our SFE are Frosted Glass.

#538 ·
Just finished a tank which was about 75% highway driving. Hand calculated 33.7mpg.

This was very conservative, 55-60mph constant speeds, no traffic except for the 25% city driving. I have a 5 spd manual. Using 93 premium. I think a 6th gear would surely help mileage a bit.

#542 ·
Here's a question for this group...

Since CharlieROse is seeing about a 7% drop in fuel economy (I've often heard 10% loss with winter gas) -- can we make up the fuel economy drop with higher grade fuel?

Going from Regular to Mid Grade in my area costs $0.11 more (3.3%). Doing the math - if I get 1 more MPG for each step from Regular --> Mid Grade --> Premium - we can break even.

In the owner's manual (pg 354 of my PDF copy) - it reads "Your vehicle is designed to use "Regular" unleaded ... octane rating of 87". It also reads, "Premium fuel will provide improved performance".

Anyone try increasing fuel economy by shifting to higher grade fuel?

#547 ·
Also, not sure if you've been playing around with the computer settings much, but you should probably reset the avg. MPG to see how your fuel consumption varies with the different types of your driving style since the car has probably done a few short trips before you got it / idled a lot (maybe choose Trip 1 as your long-term one so you don't have to reset that one and Trip 2 you can reset often or per tankful of gas).

Enjoy the car! :)

#552 ·
I am still breaking mine in and getting 35 mpgs using ethanol gas. I will be trying non-ethanol soon, when I can find it, and hope to see an increase.
Most Iowa gas stations have ethanol in the mid grade only. Which I thought strange, since it is a corn state.
are you using e85? if so, does your focus show this:

also, i get 37hwy / 25 city it seems.

#555 ·
I love my Charger. top end rebiuld, just over 400hp. Oh yeah.....14mpg. [thumbd] Just over the SRT boys at nearly half the pormance cost.

This was my "don't Touch" sign I made for shows.

But I like this more:

[IM

Rarely above 65mph. 100% real gasonline. 13miles commut each way. easy and flat.

And it's a real hoot do drive. just like my Charger. And I think I got a grip on the MFT thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.