Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Please Stop Safely

10K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  ComedyGuy 
#1 ·
I was driving home from the store yesterday when my car sounded an alarm and a message popped up on the left side of the display saying "Please stop safely"

Once I stopped the car wouldn't start again. About 15 minutes later it started and I drove home. I had about 70% charge so I know that wasn't the problem.

I have also had some issues with the nav system randomly rebooting while I am driving.

Last minor issue is that sometimes the clock will change the time.

Anyone else having similar problems?

Chris

#2 ·
Stop Safely Now message...

I've gotten that message twice in 9000 miles. The first time, it took several attempts to reboot the car. (That's because I didn't wait long enough.) I took it to the dealer where they kept it for a week. (Worst week of my life having to go back to pumping gas.) They replaced the indoor cabin air temperature sensor. I don't think that was the cause.

The second time it happened, I was just starting out in my work parking lot.

The trick is to turn the car off and wait for the entire instrument panel to go dark. Opening the door might hasten this. After that, you should be able to start the car normally.

If this happens more than a couple of times a year, something is really broken and needs to be fixed. Otherwise, chalk it up to an occasional software glitch.

#3 ·
It happened to me 7 times in one day, about 12 times in 2,000 miles. My 20 minute commute turned into an hour one morning. It has happened to me on more than one occasion. The first time I took it to get fixed the repair people failed to fix the problem and also broke the Nav system.

Ford now claims that they have released a software update specifically to fix the car shutting down so I let the service department update the OS on March 6. When I got the car back the Nav system still wasn't working properly. So its going back to Ford.

Sorry to hear about your gas issues, I called the dealership angry and told them that I wasn't going to take a rental and I definitely wasn't paying for gas. They gave me a used Infiniti with a full tank. While I was driving it I kinda fell in love. Hopefully in a few years Infiniti releases an EV.

I am very pleased with the sales department at Folsom Lake Ford, they were awesome. Unfortunately I will never buy another Ford because of the terrible experience I have had with the vehicle and the service department.

After less than a month I realized that I would never buy another gas powered vehicle. Electric is definitely the way to go. I wish that I would have gotten a good electric instead of the lemon I'm stuck with.

#4 ·
I have a 2013 electric Focus that I got Jan 2 2013, and now with about 3000 miles on it. For the first time we got this message "Please Stop Safely", pressed the "OK" button and the message went off. Car had no problem and got to work just fine. I checked to see if it sent out an alert to the mobile app, but nothing came up about it.

Glad to hear about the firmware update, will plan on taking it in for this.

Allan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#5 ·
...Glad to hear about the firmware update, will plan on taking it in for this...
Good idea, Allan. Let me know how the appointment goes; if you need any assistance from me, just send a PM my way. :)

Crystal

#8 ·
Hey, just wanted to say I got my FFE firmware updated yesterday and got it back today. There are a number of changes in this update that I like. I went from 3 something to 4.29.12285 and map data base to 4a.

On the center console it now tells you how long it will take to charge on 120vac and 240vac.

The console display on the left side has also changed and now when I let of the accelerator, I am showing that I am recovering energy and I am decelerating more I think.

I have not had time to check it all out, but I did see changes right from the start.

Had to re sync the car with sync myride so I can get my alerts once again, I wish it stored my info between firmware updates.

Also was told that they dealership had a hard time getting the car to take the updates, took them 4 or more times to get it to take the updates. It would state that they successfully did the updates, but when they went back to look at the console info, it was the same old firmware as it was before.

I didn't even check to see if my land marks in the GPS where still there. Humm, I wonder if they are gone too?

Allan
ELC CAR TX

#9 ·
The issue with "Stop Safely Now" (SSN) happened to me on a highway. It's scary as the car just stops. Luckily it was heavy traffic so people went around me. On an empty highway, with vehicles coming faster, it could be dangerous.

Anyway, I switched off the car, was about to call pickup service but tried again and it started.

Took it to the dealership and they installed the new software, and changed by 12V battery which was defective. That was supposed to resolve the problem.

BUT, yesterday again the same issue happened to me this time with my kids in the car. Luckily we were not too far from home. Did the same routing - stop, wait, start - and it worked. But now I am nervous like hell taking this car out. Taking to the dealership again tonight.

I love this car - have been an evangelist for this for so long, but this is turning out to be a very concerning issue. And apparently happening a lot as one case see by googling the issue.

#10 ·
...BUT, yesterday again the same issue happened to me this time with my kids in the car...
Hi akarer,

Reach out to me via PM so I can look into this for you. To get the ball rolling, I'll need your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Thanks!

Crystal

#12 ·
I was seriously thinking about leasing a Ford focus electric. Took it overnight and almost signed the papers yesterday until I read about the "stop safely now" issue. I immediately called my dealer and they said that the car I would be leasing, 2013 ford focus electric, is all up to date with the latest software and everything is good to go. Should I believe them? Is the stop safely now a simple software update? I really love the car but if my life could be at risk I don't even want to consider it. Does anyone know if there has been a fix for this?

#17 ·
I'd Wait.....

I'd wait......

I have a one month old FFE with the very latest downloaded software and my daughter got the dreaded "Stop Safely Now" message on a busy street Wednesday (8/28/13). A very dangerous problem in my opinion.

I did all my homework, read the forums, compared the electric models from Tesla to Fit. I thought I was careful and had considered everything. I saw the SSN threads and had thought it was resolved. it isn't.

I feel safer having my daughter drive our 2007 Prius than the 2013 Electric Focus. That's disappointing to say the least......

#13 ·
Stop Safely Now

I got my card back last night. They informed me that the error codes pointed to an issue with one of the cooling pumps (apparently there are 3 of them) and that they have replaced it.

They are confident issue is fixed. I have only driven 20 miles since then.

Let's see...

#15 ·
I got my card back last night. They informed me that the error codes pointed to an issue with one of the cooling pumps (apparently there are 3 of them) and that they have replaced it.

They are confident issue is fixed. I have only driven 20 miles since then.

Let's see...
Keep me in the loop, akarer. You know how to reach me if you need any extra help. :)

Crystal

#16 ·
Hello, FYI, we got the new firmware in the car last month. Got a few new screens to look at now.

Now over a month later, got the SSN message for the first time, this time while STOPPED at the traffic light.

The events as followed at about 7:30pm :
1 - "Stop Safely Now" We are already stopped at the traffic light !
2 - "It is Hot Outside" No kidding, this is Houston Texas, mid 90's right now.
3 - "Check Manual"
4 - "Charge Now", car had 57 mile left to go before empty, so why does it need charging?

Put the car in park, turned off the car, put the flashers on because the car with stuck at the traffic lights. Tried starting the car again about 3 times in a in a 7 minute period. Finally the last time it started.

The fan to cool the car down while in motion was working al the way to the point where the car was parked. Car now has 55 mile left to go and we plugged the car in to get charged back up.

I check the MyFordMobile phone app and checked the Activity Log, last thing in the log was "Car is fully charged" that was on 08/01/13, today is 08/03/13, so I am missing a few days. No other alerts in the log in the last few days.

Now the question why? Was it too hot out for the car today?

Allan

2013 FFE.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.