My New Ford Focus Electric - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus Electric

MK3 Focus Electric The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 all-electric Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 06:24 AM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 98139
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White Focus Electric

Points 225, Level 4
Points: 225, Level: 4 Points: 225, Level: 4 Points: 225, Level: 4
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Spare Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My New Ford Focus Electric

I paid for and picked up my new Focus today 5/29/2012. I am excited, but mostly feel exhausted. This has been a two year quest and I am a bit overwhelmed by the vehicle. It is not the electric componet, it drives just like any automobile, it is all of the tech stuff. SYNC, syncmyride.com, My Ford Touch and my fordmobile.com are amazing but require a significant investment of brain power. It is kind of like getting a brand new computer and having to upload, register and learn of all the ins and outs of the system. I will easily spend the next few weeks simply figuring out how everything works and tweeking it to my personal style.

The electric componet has it's own learning curve. But!! My first priority is to get the damn thing home. My wife and I decided to drive the 186 miles home and look at it as an adventure. We do not have any charging stations north of New Haven, CT. So we have been mapping out our route to make sure we arrive with power. (In reading the benefits of ownership, Ford has a 5 year road assistance program and one of the perks is a "dead battery" call. Do you think Ford means that for the FFE battery??? Dare me to test it out???)

One new discovery on our trip down to New York was the DOT is rebuilding the Service Areas along I-95 and they have installed 120volt outlets in the truck waiting areas.

My bride and I are returning home on Thursday and I'll keep you posted as to our progress. I have pictures and if someone would tell me how to post them, I will do that soon.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 07:04 AM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12724
What I Drive: 06 Sonic Blue ZX5 SES turbo

Points 13,198, Level 74
Points: 13,198, Level: 74 Points: 13,198, Level: 74 Points: 13,198, Level: 74
Level Up 87% Completed
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 62 sutyak Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
I look forward to hearing more. You can upload pictures to Photobucket.com. Once you register and upload them, you can click on the "IMG Code" and paste that text directly into this reply window. You'll see what I mean as you go along.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:34 AM   #3
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

Points 8,020, Level 60
Points: 8,020, Level: 60 Points: 8,020, Level: 60 Points: 8,020, Level: 60
Level Up 35% Completed
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Forum Activity 30%
Activity: 30% Activity: 30% Activity: 30%
FF Reputation: 24 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spare View Post
(In reading the benefits of ownership, Ford has a 5 year road assistance program and one of the perks is a "dead battery" call. Do you think Ford means that for the FFE battery??? Dare me to test it out???)
That could be a long service call for that driver of the roadside assistance

So the Focus Electrics are out in the wild now, ill have to keep my eye out for one.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 225, Level 4
Level Up 50% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
I have learned how to post pictures and I will. But, getting the car home.

Great first day of our trip. Our goal was Ramsey, NJ to New Haven, CT 86 miles. We started with our battery fully charged and showing an 82 mile "anticipated" range. (The mileage range is a computer logarithum based on temperature, driving habits, equipment turned on - ac or heater and regenerative brake experience.) The range changes as you drive. For example we started out and I spotted a sign that read 12 miles to the Tappan Zee Bridge. I noted the mileage and battery range. After 12 miles we had only used 9 miles of range.

We had two adults, my wife and I, a medium size suitcase, travel bag and assorted other small items. We drove 60 miles per hour using cruise control and had our AC set to 73 degrees with the fan set on low. We used all interstate highways, routes I-287N, I-87S and I-95N. Each interstate is a coastal route which means relatively flat. The weather was beautiful and 78 degrees. I had planned two "just in case" EVSE stations prior to arriving in New Haven. We set our Navigation system with all three points marked. (Whole Foods Evse in Fairfield, Nissan EVSE in Milford and the final point the Omni Hotel with an EVSE in New Haven. We easily passed the first in Fairfield without stopping. At the second location we had 20 miles of range left and only had 13 miles to go for our final destination - New Haven. That means we could have driven a total of 93 miles on the charge.

However, I had called the Nissan service manager in Milford and he had told me he was very excited about seeing the car. So, erring on the side of safety and just for the pride of it, we stopped in Milford. We were met by 5 people including the owner of the dealership. Super bunch of people. Happy to see the car, interested in inspecting it and they plugged us right in to the level 2 station! We opened every door, cover and hatch so they could see the vehicle. We went inside and they had a brand new high end Leaf SL. I have to tell you it was a beautiful car. They had a saleman who was very knowledgable about EV' and he told me all about the Leaf. I was very impressed. We spent 30 minutes pluged in and we departed. The 30 minutes increased my range from 20 miles to 37 miles - +17.

We were only about 17 miles from New Haven and pulled into our destination with 23 miles range left. Staying at the Omni in downtown New Haven which has a full service EVSE station with level 3 and 2 power. The valet asked me if I had a Tesla. Yea right.... But when I told him I had a Ford Focus Electric order #0001 he was very syched and had, within a few minutes, a crowd asking about the car and looking it all over. Fun, Fun, Fun....

We arrived about 4 pm and plugged in about 4:30pm. Had dinner and went down to check the car at 7:00pm. It was fully charged and registered 95 miles range. 2 1/2 hours from a 23 mile range to full charge. Had I known the range this car is capable of and the speed of level 2 charging, I could have easily made it home in one day. On a clear day you can go 85+ miles, stop somewhere for dinner, a little shopping and three hours later be on the move for another 85+ miles.

Don't get me wrong. Once this car arrives in RI it will never leave the state again. For me this is a commuter automobile, but that does not deter anyone from traveling a resonable distance and enjoying the trip tremendously. Additionally, EVSE stations are popping up all over the place. If you use the trip planners only a small percentage show up. The Nissan dealerships were very good about pointing out customers who have set up their own stations at their businesses.

It is quite pleasant to drive. Has excellent pickup on the interstate both in merging and in passing. I did drive conservatively but feel comfortable in jacking it up to 70 or 80 mph. It is solid, you can feel the weight stability, it does not roll side or yaw. Has no blind spots. Great side mirrors. Great AC, I took three hands free calls while driving and answered 2 text messages. My wife said her passenger seat felt comfortable and had good support.

Check in tomorrow.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

Points 8,020, Level 60
Points: 8,020, Level: 60 Points: 8,020, Level: 60 Points: 8,020, Level: 60
Level Up 35% Completed
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Forum Activity 30%
Activity: 30% Activity: 30% Activity: 30%
FF Reputation: 24 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
didnt realize you were picking up electric #0001, thats pretty cool. Not sure how friendly my state is with charging stations but I'd rock one for my commute, only do about 30 miles for my work week. the rest is just cruising... good story so far
Old 06-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #6
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 225, Level 4
Level Up 50% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Our trip is finished. Back in RI and happy to be home/work. I cannot tell you how impressed I am with this automobile. It is a blast to drive. Quick when you need it, sure footed, has more than enough battery mileage for me, technically extreme but user friendly and very sporty looking. The Metallic Platinum White is gorgeous. And, it is quiet beyond normal. Everyone knows about the lack of engine noise, add to that zero wind noise and minimal tire noise.

I told you I don't need most of the tech stuff, but I am intrigued enough to figure it out and play around. When we bought our 2007 Avalon the salesmen spent 4 hours explaining things to us. I literally got sick of listening to him and finally told him we were driving away so "get out of the car!" Half the stuff I never used again. This car encourages you to use the tech, it is intuitive. My Ford Touch is pretty interesting and My Sync is simply a matter of putting your phone into the system and it works in the background and all you do is wait for calls, messages, etc. You can even tell it to drive to one of your contacts by simply stating the name. It looks in your phone, gets the address and punches up the navigation system with a destination. A lot to learn but I am intrigued.

When I charged the car last night, I unplugged when completed and the gauge read 95 mile range. When we got in this morning and turned the car on the gauge read 65 mile range. We only need to go 62 miles, so we left and drove just like yesterday, 60 mph, AC on set at low fan speed, I-95 with minor hills, clear beautiful day 80 degrees. We ended our trip in about an hour and a quarter with 26 miles still on the range gauge, which means I could have driven 85 plus miles.

The display has a butterfly screen that tells you how efficiently you are driving, if you click a button it changes to a gauge which I like much better. It tells a percentage of power you are adding based on your driving habits. I was getting about 18-20% and I interpret that to me if the battery gauge says 50 miles, I will actually get 18% more mileage or 59 miles out of the battery. That seemed to hold true and maybe even be more. I have to have some user experience gained over time to figure this out.

Miles per kilowatt hour and stuff like that I haven't even began to figure out. Don't even know how to access the information yet.

Right now I am simply sharing my excitement about this vehicle. I have numerous people to take for joy rides and lots of compliments to receive. Ha Ha.. Most people are pretty damn impressed. Oddly, it does have to do with the electric, but many simply admire the lines, the paint job, seats, dashboard and sportiness of the vehicle.

One slightly worrisome note. When leaving the dealership, I asked the salesmen, if he had any more preorders. His response was that they have ordered 5 more vehicles, but no one else has preordered at his dealership. They only had a total of two preorders - me and a guy from Vermont. That should evoke a whole new line of forum news. Is anyone else ordering the FFE????
Old 06-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89253
What I Drive: 2012 Ti

FF Reputation: 4 JessicaTi Good Standing Member
Congratulations, that's very exciting!!! Thanks for the detailed travel log.

I like the headlights, I wish my car had them!

When you're at home, do you plug into a regular wall outlet?
Old 06-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #8
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 225, Level 4
Level Up 50% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
The lines of this car are really sweet and the headlights add to that. I was following behind the car at night and what a sight.... The tail lights are awesome.

Plugin is real simple. Any wall panel works. They say you should use a plug with a 20 amp breaker, but normal 15 amps work just fine. I also have a 240volt EVSE station in my home which punches the juice in at an awesome rate. Low battery to full at 120volts is 12-15 hours. Low to full at 240volts is 2 1/2 - 3 hours....
Old 06-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89253
What I Drive: 2012 Ti

FF Reputation: 4 JessicaTi Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spare View Post
The lines of this car are really sweet and the headlights add to that. I was following behind the car at night and what a sight.... The tail lights are awesome.

Plugin is real simple. Any wall panel works. They say you should use a plug with a 20 amp breaker, but normal 15 amps work just fine. I also have a 240volt EVSE station in my home which punches the juice in at an awesome rate. Low battery to full at 120volts is 12-15 hours. Low to full at 240volts is 2 1/2 - 3 hours....
What comes standard with the car for charging? Is it an electrical cord with a special connector that attaches to the car on one end, and a plug that goes into a standard wall outlet on the other?
Old 06-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #10
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 225, Level 4
Level Up 50% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaTi View Post
What comes standard with the car for charging? Is it an electrical cord with a special connector that attaches to the car on one end, and a plug that goes into a standard wall outlet on the other?
That is correct. All EVSE cords have a common J1772 plug which goes into the charging port on your car. The source end is a common 120v, 240v or a 440v plug. Off the lot EV' are sold with a 120v charging cord (level 1). For all electric cars, like the Focus and Leaf, that can take 12-15 hours to completly charge. You can purchase a 240v level 2 EVSE for around $800.00. That will charge you in about 3 hours. The other advantage to level 2 is the ability to stop for a "quicky" and charge for 30 minutes, extending your range by 15-50 miles.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.