electric ha ha - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus Electric

MK3 Focus Electric The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 all-electric Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62350
What I Drive: 2003 eap svt

Points 10,586, Level 68
Points: 10,586, Level: 68 Points: 10,586, Level: 68 Points: 10,586, Level: 68
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 29%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%
FF Reputation: 5 pasta Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
electric ha ha

just so everyone knows yea electric good on gas ha ha but when the batteries need replacing will cost more than the cars worth something to think about

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2011, 07:19 PM   #2
Aurelius Pardus

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

Points 23,783, Level 94
Points: 23,783, Level: 94 Points: 23,783, Level: 94 Points: 23,783, Level: 94
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
its a lot more than that too.. notice they say zero "tailpipe emissions"

like i said before it takes about 3 times as much coal to produce the power needed to go the same distance as a regular car.

also I just wrote this in the other thread but the manufacturing process for the battery is spread all over the world and using a lot of energy to make a different type of energy.

bottom line, looks better up front but worse for the environment... savings is negligible. I could see it being worth it as a city only car in which one could plug into a wall socket and use a company's power source, but once again that will put quite a bit of strain on the battery and wear it out faster.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parted) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (racecar) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (daily).
ModeratingGeneral Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 09-10-2011, 05:07 PM   #3
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 28,331, Level 98
Points: 28,331, Level: 98 Points: 28,331, Level: 98 Points: 28,331, Level: 98
Level Up 99% Completed
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 271 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Whether or not coal is what produces the power at your home receptacle depends on where you live. When MT did a story on the Prius vs Volt vs Leaf, they provided information about the overall emissions impact and which would be cheaper in a given area by state.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:14 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62350
What I Drive: 2003 eap svt

Points 10,586, Level 68
Points: 10,586, Level: 68 Points: 10,586, Level: 68 Points: 10,586, Level: 68
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 29%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%
FF Reputation: 5 pasta Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
i will stick with gas also you can only go so far so what good are they
Old 09-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
soon to be turbo!

Fan#: 48278
What I Drive: 06 silver ZX4 ST

Points 8,020, Level 60
Points: 8,020, Level: 60 Points: 8,020, Level: 60 Points: 8,020, Level: 60
Level Up 35% Completed
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 48 Blackcatn2o Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
you also for got how bad the lead in the batteries is for the environment.

You could do less damage to the environment if you drove a dodge Viper with a 8.3 V10.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:23 PM   #6
Captain TMI

Points 28,331, Level 98
Level Up 99% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
FF Reputation: 271 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Newsflash: Nobody uses lead acid batteries in hybrids, plug-in hybrids, or EVs. A lead acid battery pack that provided something like the Leaf's 24 kw/hr battery would weigh more than the car. Most hybrids currently use NiMH batteries which is the same battery chemistry as your typical AA rechargeable. There are environmental concerns with this battery chemistry. The only battery chemistry that doesn't have environmental concerns is NiZn, but those have their issues like voltage loss and internal crystallization known as dendrites. Li-Ion batteries hold promise due to their ability to handle being nearly drained between charges, but have lower number of recharges and are much more expensive. This is the current conundrum keeping electric cars from taking place of gasoline engines. Once the price of battery packs comes down to where EVs or series hybrids like the Volt are comparable in price to gasoline engines, then we'll see more of them on the road.

I think Ford is wasting their time with the Focus electric and would be wiser to wait and see how much luck Nissan has with the Leaf. Following GM's lead might be a better idea.

One thing I hate is how all hybrids and EVs use CVTs instead of normal transmissions. I understand that large electric motors have tremendous torque (Volt=149 hp/273 ft/lbs), but still there should be a way to protect the transmission- even if it's as simple as cutting power to the motor during a shift to prevent jarring the gears.

Quote:
Old 09-25-2011, 03:34 PM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 79365
What I Drive: 2000 Dark Green SE

Points 4,527, Level 42
Points: 4,527, Level: 42 Points: 4,527, Level: 42 Points: 4,527, Level: 42
Level Up 89% Completed
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 5 MacAttack Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Those batteries will need to be replaced eventually, and that's not cheap. And unlike a normal car, when you run out of juice, you're SOL. Find a place to charge, and wait for hours. Run out of gas? Walk to the nearest station, fill up a gas can, and walk back. And refueling just takes just a few minutes.

Electric cars definitely aren't smart right now, at least not for everyone. Maybe in a few years.
I feel like Ford will sell less of these than they would have sold a new Focus wagon or the old Euro ST or RS. But I think this is more for publicity than a profit.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
Old 09-25-2011, 08:46 PM   #8
Captain TMI

Points 28,331, Level 98
Level Up 99% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
The technology is above your knowledge. I do a lot of research on this stuff. LiFePO4 batteries, for example, have a life cycle of 3000 charges. If you charge once per day for your ride to work, then that's over 8 years of life. Those are the lowest cost highest energy density batteries that an EV hobbyist could get their hands on. Li-Ion batteries like in the Volt or Tesla have a life span of 5000 charges which is more like 13 years. Now if you were using lead acid batteries which could weigh the car down excessively, then you're looking at replacing these yearly. Consumers can't purchase NiMh batteries like the manufacturers currently use in hybrids, but according to what I've read those have life spans of over 15k charge cycles.

I've owned a lot of cars, but never owned one for 10 years. If I was to invest in building a hobby EV, then yes, I'd have to keep it for 10 years because that's about how long it would take me to reclaim my investment. That's why I'm not doing it.

More radical technology is being developed, but we likely won't see it for a few more years. It's carbon nanotube batteries that can be made using paper, and promise high energy density as well as a 30k charge cycle life. We'll see what happens, but one day the naysayers will be like all the guys in the 80's who swore they'd never drive an EFI vehicle and ripped TBI and TPI systems off their Chevys and Fords to replace them with carburetors.

What's going to really suck is what nobody is bitching about. Currently if you owned an EV you could drive to work exhausting your 100 mile charge in the Leaf or FocusE, and recharging it for a maximum of $3.15 during the most expensive time of day for electricity in CA- home of high energy costs. It's not difficult to see that it's about half the cost of gasoline. Where I live, the same EV would cost me $.56 per day. Eventually, when electric cars become more commonplace and less expensive to purchase- we'll see energy costs skyrocket. If they don't screw you one way, they will screw you another. Right now all the big wigs in Washington are wondering why the economy isn't taking off- well geniuses, maybe $6 gallons of milk don't hurt your family's budget, but they sure hurt mine. So does freaking doubling my fuel costs per month. All that while our employers are bellyaching and begging us to take pay cuts for the good of the company. Even if China stopped buying oil today and costs went down to $1.50/gal, there's no way our retail stores would suddenly drop the prices on goods that have been jacked up due to transportation costs. I've seen this crap happen before in my lifetime, so you kids pay attention. One day you'll be telling the next generation of naysayers "I remember when I could recharge my car for $1 a day instead of $100, and we could afford to live one family to a home."

Quote:
Old 09-27-2011, 12:24 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87642
What I Drive: 2004 Audi A4 Quattro

FF Reputation: 1 voip-ninja Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttack View Post
Those batteries will need to be replaced eventually, and that's not cheap. And unlike a normal car, when you run out of juice, you're SOL. Find a place to charge, and wait for hours. Run out of gas? Walk to the nearest station, fill up a gas can, and walk back. And refueling just takes just a few minutes.

Electric cars definitely aren't smart right now, at least not for everyone. Maybe in a few years.
I feel like Ford will sell less of these than they would have sold a new Focus wagon or the old Euro ST or RS. But I think this is more for publicity than a profit.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
I think that you are off target with some of the criticism. Yes, the batteries will eventually need replacement, and they will lose efficiency over time, but we are talking about the batteries going down to maybe 75% useable charge after something like 10 years and 150K+ miles. Do you really think that purchasing a refurbished battery pack for one of these cars in 7-10 years is going to cost the same $15-$20K that it costs today? That is highly unlikely. All of the cost comparisons show that over a 10 year run EVs will cost far, FAR less to operate than even a relatively inexpensive ICE vehicle. The only way the cost of the EV will be higher is if the battery pack is totally destroyed, needs full replacement, and costs as much down the road as it does right now, all of which are, as indicated, highly unlikely scenarios.

What is also unlikely is that someone purchasing an electric will be using it as their primary vehicle if they do a lot of longer distance driving. Most families have multiple vehicles, which leaves the EV in a great spot for providing extremely low maintenance and low cost driving as a commuter or secondary vehicle.

Studies have also shown that even with commuting and running errands, the average American driver puts less than 50 miles a day on a car. That is a range that is totally achievable for today's technology. Americans have the idea in their head that they need a car that has enough range to drive to California every day, even though they probably make a trip like that once a year, if ever.

For families with multiple vehicles, they would use the electric for the high mileage local stuff, and they would use their ICE vehicle for long distance trips.

For those who buy an EV as their single car, because they live in an urban area and don't do a lot of long distance driving, they would likely rent an ICE for the few times a year when they need to drive substantially further than the range of the EV.

It's also worth noting that the "charging for hours and hours" thing is also a bit of a myth. Even with the Leaf, with the average daily drive of 25-40 miles, the typical driver would only need to charge it at home for 3-4 hours on 220V to fully charge it. If charging with the 480V rapid charger at some place like a grocery store, the car can be charged from 0% to 100% in 30 minutes which makes it completely practical for driving to a commuter station, grocery store, etc, and having plenty of time to top the battery off while shopping for a few minutes or hopping aboard local transit.

I'm not going to try to convince anyone that EV is "better" than gas (even though it is better in some areas such as pollution... far easier to control the emissions of 1000 electric power plants than millions of individual vehicles)... gas has more energy density per gallon than anything else, which is why we use it.

However, there's no getting around the fact that even if we see a reprieve in gas prices in the short term, they are going to continue going up in the long term, no matter what we do. China and India will pick up the slack in any reduced consumption or increased production we provide. Not to mention that the Arab world does not have the fortitude to go back to $30 a barrel oil. Any increased domestic production will be offset by reduced production overseas.

So, gas is getting more expensive, and every year there is a little less of it. Will we hit "peak" oil production this decade? Next decade? Next century? It matters little, because, climate issues, massive global energy demand and other factors totally out of our control are going to drive the shift away from pure gas vehicles.

I expect that this will happen faster than most people realize. In as little as 7-10 years I expect fully 1/2 of all new vehicles sold to be electrified in some fashion whether it is plug-in hybrid technology, etc.

For those that feel that their choices are being taken away, they aren't. Gas burners will likely be available for decades to come, for those who want no compromise range and performance. Just don't cry to the rest of us when gas hits $5 or $10 a gallon down the road and we are powering our "go-karts" with solar energy.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #10
Focus Addict

Fan#: 79365
What I Drive: 2000 Dark Green SE

Points 4,527, Level 42
Points: 4,527, Level: 42 Points: 4,527, Level: 42 Points: 4,527, Level: 42
Level Up 89% Completed
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 5 MacAttack Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
The technology is above your knowledge. I do a lot of research on this stuff. LiFePO4 batteries, for example, have a life cycle of 3000 charges. If you charge once per day for your ride to work, then that's over 8 years of life. Those are the lowest cost highest energy density batteries that an EV hobbyist could get their hands on. Li-Ion batteries like in the Volt or Tesla have a life span of 5000 charges which is more like 13 years. Now if you were using lead acid batteries which could weigh the car down excessively, then you're looking at replacing these yearly. Consumers can't purchase NiMh batteries like the manufacturers currently use in hybrids, but according to what I've read those have life spans of over 15k charge cycles.
You'd start to see a degradation of capacity pretty quickly. Even if it's only a mile or two for the first year. These are essentially laptop batteries, and I've seen them drop to 75% efficiency in 3 years.
Quote:
I've owned a lot of cars, but never owned one for 10 years. If I was to invest in building a hobby EV, then yes, I'd have to keep it for 10 years because that's about how long it would take me to reclaim my investment. That's why I'm not doing it.
That may be true, but try selling an EV after 8 years, and the battery has 65% capacity.
Quote:
More radical technology is being developed, but we likely won't see it for a few more years. It's carbon nanotube batteries that can be made using paper, and promise high energy density as well as a 30k charge cycle life. We'll see what happens, but one day the naysayers will be like all the guys in the 80's who swore they'd never drive an EFI vehicle and ripped TBI and TPI systems off their Chevys and Fords to replace them with carburetors.
That's another issue, what if your car is obsolete next year, and the new battery tech is either expensive to add on, or incompatible completely? It would be like having the original iPod, and the iPod Touch came out a year later.
Quote:
What's going to really suck is what nobody is bitching about. Currently if you owned an EV you could drive to work exhausting your 100 mile charge in the Leaf or FocusE, and recharging it for a maximum of $3.15 during the most expensive time of day for electricity in CA- home of high energy costs. It's not difficult to see that it's about half the cost of gasoline. Where I live, the same EV would cost me $.56 per day. Eventually, when electric cars become more commonplace and less expensive to purchase- we'll see energy costs skyrocket. If they don't screw you one way, they will screw you another. Right now all the big wigs in Washington are wondering why the economy isn't taking off- well geniuses, maybe $6 gallons of milk don't hurt your family's budget, but they sure hurt mine. So does freaking doubling my fuel costs per month. All that while our employers are bellyaching and begging us to take pay cuts for the good of the company. Even if China stopped buying oil today and costs went down to $1.50/gal, there's no way our retail stores would suddenly drop the prices on goods that have been jacked up due to transportation costs. I've seen this crap happen before in my lifetime, so you kids pay attention. One day you'll be telling the next generation of naysayers "I remember when I could recharge my car for $1 a day instead of $100, and we could afford to live one family to a home."
Something I hadn't thought of. The idea is that with more renewable sources of electricity, prices would be able to stay the same. But these corporations are going to want to get their money from somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
I think that you are off target with some of the criticism. Yes, the batteries will eventually need replacement, and they will lose efficiency over time, but we are talking about the batteries going down to maybe 75% useable charge after something like 10 years and 150K+ miles. Do you really think that purchasing a refurbished battery pack for one of these cars in 7-10 years is going to cost the same $15-$20K that it costs today? That is highly unlikely.
It's also unlikely that the same tech will be available or compatible in a few years.
Quote:
All of the cost comparisons show that over a 10 year run EVs will cost far, FAR less to operate than even a relatively inexpensive ICE vehicle. The only way the cost of the EV will be higher is if the battery pack is totally destroyed, needs full replacement, and costs as much down the road as it does right now, all of which are, as indicated, highly unlikely scenarios.

What is also unlikely is that someone purchasing an electric will be using it as their primary vehicle if they do a lot of longer distance driving. Most families have multiple vehicles, which leaves the EV in a great spot for providing extremely low maintenance and low cost driving as a commuter or secondary vehicle.

Studies have also shown that even with commuting and running errands, the average American driver puts less than 50 miles a day on a car. That is a range that is totally achievable for today's technology. Americans have the idea in their head that they need a car that has enough range to drive to California every day, even though they probably make a trip like that once a year, if ever.

For families with multiple vehicles, they would use the electric for the high mileage local stuff, and they would use their ICE vehicle for long distance trips.

For those who buy an EV as their single car, because they live in an urban area and don't do a lot of long distance driving, they would likely rent an ICE for the few times a year when they need to drive substantially further than the range of the EV.

It's also worth noting that the "charging for hours and hours" thing is also a bit of a myth. Even with the Leaf, with the average daily drive of 25-40 miles, the typical driver would only need to charge it at home for 3-4 hours on 220V to fully charge it. If charging with the 480V rapid charger at some place like a grocery store, the car can be charged from 0% to 100% in 30 minutes which makes it completely practical for driving to a commuter station, grocery store, etc, and having plenty of time to top the battery off while shopping for a few minutes or hopping aboard local transit.

I'm not going to try to convince anyone that EV is "better" than gas (even though it is better in some areas such as pollution... far easier to control the emissions of 1000 electric power plants than millions of individual vehicles)... gas has more energy density per gallon than anything else, which is why we use it.

However, there's no getting around the fact that even if we see a reprieve in gas prices in the short term, they are going to continue going up in the long term, no matter what we do. China and India will pick up the slack in any reduced consumption or increased production we provide. Not to mention that the Arab world does not have the fortitude to go back to $30 a barrel oil. Any increased domestic production will be offset by reduced production overseas.

So, gas is getting more expensive, and every year there is a little less of it. Will we hit "peak" oil production this decade? Next decade? Next century? It matters little, because, climate issues, massive global energy demand and other factors totally out of our control are going to drive the shift away from pure gas vehicles.

I expect that this will happen faster than most people realize. In as little as 7-10 years I expect fully 1/2 of all new vehicles sold to be electrified in some fashion whether it is plug-in hybrid technology, etc.

For those that feel that their choices are being taken away, they aren't. Gas burners will likely be available for decades to come, for those who want no compromise range and performance. Just don't cry to the rest of us when gas hits $5 or $10 a gallon down the road and we are powering our "go-karts" with solar energy.
I can agree that electric or hydrogen cars are the future, but I don't think the technology is ready just yet. I travel less than 50 miles a day every day, but, I occasionally take 100+ mile road trips on the weekend. I certainly can't afford two cars, and recharging from 0 would take all night. Plus, if you run out of gas, you can walk to the station. If you run out of juice, you have to call a tow truck.

I'm sure electric cars are the future, but I'll keep my ICE for now. Maybe 10 years from now, I'll be buying my first electric car.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.