Who killed the electric car? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus Electric

MK3 Focus Electric The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 all-electric Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2011, 01:30 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34098
What I Drive: 2006. Pitch Black, Zx3 SE

FF Reputation: 1 zx3sekev Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Who killed the electric car?

i would love to buy a electric focus... lets just to it lasts longer then the cars that were in the movie "Who killed the electric car?" wich is a great story and its all true

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2011, 02:36 AM   #2
what it be like

Fan#: 40563
What I Drive: 03 EAP

Points 41,796, Level 100
Points: 41,796, Level: 100 Points: 41,796, Level: 100 Points: 41,796, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 27 dirtbrown Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
its a huge change...I know i dont wanna give up my cars.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:07 AM   #3
Meh.

Fan#: 84654
What I Drive: 2002 SVT, 2001 SE (Rusty)

Points 60,199, Level 100
Points: 60,199, Level: 100 Points: 60,199, Level: 100 Points: 60,199, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%
FF Reputation: 49 02fordsvt Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Electric cars are still not at a place in development where I could consider getting one but they a definitively moving in the right direction. Maybe someday when they have longer ranges and quicker recharge times, I can own one but until then, I am stuck with my internal combustion engine.
Hatch Nation #13 : Rally Revolution #13 : ROTM Jan '13
It's Bryan, not Brian
RSVT-170 Build in Progress
Derusting Rusty Build in Progress
Old 09-08-2011, 07:42 AM   #4
Focus Addict

Fan#: 61110
What I Drive: 04 Red/Black ZX5, 14 SE hatch

Points 2,425, Level 29
Points: 2,425, Level: 29 Points: 2,425, Level: 29 Points: 2,425, Level: 29
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 12 Mike_Mac Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
not to mention the battery's cost when you replace them. its like ever 5-10 years having to swap out the engine/trans as far as costs go.

also electricity isn't all that clean yet. still alot of coal being burned in the usa and still some what in canada but i think we are mostly nuclear and hydro electric.

the car itself might not emit pollutants but making the electricity still does. and the batterys are not exactly enviroment friendly.

once they make battery packs last a good 15-20 years, can be 100% charged in 1-2 hours and can go for 500km+ on a charge ill look into one.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:44 PM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23099
What I Drive: 14 Fusion 2.0

FF Reputation: 3 wilsonfocus86 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Mac View Post
not to mention the battery's cost when you replace them. its like ever 5-10 years having to swap out the engine/trans as far as costs go.

also electricity isn't all that clean yet. still alot of coal being burned in the usa and still some what in canada but i think we are mostly nuclear and hydro electric.

the car itself might not emit pollutants but making the electricity still does. and the batterys are not exactly enviroment friendly.

once they make battery packs last a good 15-20 years, can be 100% charged in 1-2 hours and can go for 500km+ on a charge ill look into one.

..Annnnd consider the price. It's not like you could buy the "Focus Electric" for ...$18,200 (when you could by a base Focus for that money)
Old 09-08-2011, 05:47 PM   #6
Aurelius Pardus

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

Points 23,783, Level 94
Points: 23,783, Level: 94 Points: 23,783, Level: 94 Points: 23,783, Level: 94
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
right, at this time theres still no advantage to buying an electric car unless your only reason is to buy the Aston Martin looking focus electric (looks good to me). As mike said, just making the batteries is inefficient. Production uses coal to refine all that fun stuff, then shipping the materials etc.

range sucks and will continue to suck with electric cars. those batteries produce roughly 1/3 the amount of energy needed to move the car the same distance as a gas powered one. Add more batteries you say? those are heavy batteries and guess what, heavy cars need more energy to move. at that point its just way too expensive to be worth it.

As far as fast recharge times... that wears the battery life down pretty bad so plan on replacing it soon.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parted) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (racecar) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (daily).
ModeratingGeneral Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 09-08-2011, 06:05 PM   #7
Meh.

Fan#: 84654
What I Drive: 2002 SVT, 2001 SE (Rusty)

Points 60,199, Level 100
Points: 60,199, Level: 100 Points: 60,199, Level: 100 Points: 60,199, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%
FF Reputation: 49 02fordsvt Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
All that has been said is very true. But the internal combustion engine didn't really make since over the horse when it first came out either. It won't happen over night but there is potential for the electric car to replace gasoline in the future given enough time and technology to develop. It's cars like the Focus Electric that get people interested and develops the technology. You just have to start somewhere to get the ball rolling.
Hatch Nation #13 : Rally Revolution #13 : ROTM Jan '13
It's Bryan, not Brian
RSVT-170 Build in Progress
Derusting Rusty Build in Progress
Old 09-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 69289
What I Drive: 2011 Ford Taurus Limited

Points 5,157, Level 46
Points: 5,157, Level: 46 Points: 5,157, Level: 46 Points: 5,157, Level: 46
Level Up 4% Completed
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 18 iroc34 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
http://www.teslamotors.com/models/faq
Check this out. The new Tesla S. Has an option for 3 different battery packs, ranging from 160 miles to 300 miles. There still pretty expensive. But it is being done. On a daily driver, if I never had to stop at a gas station ever again , would be heaven. And then tear up the road when I had the need for speed in my Turbo ZX 3.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:19 PM   #9
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 135233
What I Drive: 2007 White

FF Reputation: 1 Alexander Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02fordsvt View Post
Electric cars are still not at a place in development where I could consider getting one but they a definitively moving in the right direction. Maybe someday when they have longer ranges and quicker recharge times, I can own one but until then, I am stuck with my internal combustion engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02fordsvt View Post
All that has been said is very true. But the internal combustion engine didn't really make since over the horse when it first came out either. It won't happen over night but there is potential for the electric car to replace gasoline in the future given enough time and technology to develop. It's cars like the Focus Electric that get people interested and develops the technology. You just have to start somewhere to get the ball rolling.
What has been said is marginally true. The focus is electric is a bad example of a electric car. Wasn't designed from the ground up to be electric and does not use all the technology available to make it the best driving vehicle, unlike the tesla s.

Considering how much $$$$$ you will save in maintenance and gas (if you drive city) the tesla s for 70 grand is comparable to a 50 grand petroleum powered car. Not to mention all the handling benefits, acceleration, and refinement vs gas.

And ps most people who buy electric cars and hybrids don't give a about the environmental impact, as most electric cars cause a hell of a lot more environmental damage to produce them then gasoline equivalents.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:55 PM   #10
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 134561
Points 47, Level 1
Points: 47, Level: 1 Points: 47, Level: 1 Points: 47, Level: 1
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 racerdad2 Good Standing Member
Has anyone ever calculated the cost of a new battery pack for any of these electrics ? They don't last forever. & what about new electric motors ?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.