Electric Vehicles Too Expensive? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus Electric

MK3 Focus Electric The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 all-electric Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2011, 11:03 AM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85162
What I Drive: 2011 Chevy Volt

FF Reputation: 1 Charged Up Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Electric Vehicles Too Expensive?

Think EVs are too expensive? Yes they cost more up front, but consider the costs to operate the vehicle over its life. Depending on your circumstances it will very likely save you money.

See this post:

http://fordfocuselectric.com/forums/....php?f=8&t=176

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
Aurelius Pardus

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

Points 23,783, Level 94
Points: 23,783, Level: 94 Points: 23,783, Level: 94 Points: 23,783, Level: 94
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
all I know is if you have a plug in car, and can find an outlet at work.... Yeah. Lol
Posted via FF Mobile
Old 04-24-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84965
What I Drive: 1995, White, Chrysler New Yorker

FF Reputation: 1 ryuclan Good Standing Member
If one of those batteries craps out....you could be in for some wallet busting repairs.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:15 PM   #4
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85164
What I Drive: 2010 Ses

FF Reputation: 1 2012st Good Standing Member
they will have a 8year 100k mile warranty on them. Plus the fusion batery are only 80 each if one craps out. Electric is a great idea if you have under 100 mile round trip to work for 1 dollar a day.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:16 PM   #5
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85164
What I Drive: 2010 Ses

FF Reputation: 1 2012st Good Standing Member
plus the chevyvolt isnt an electric car... Should be a plugin with gas and is way over priced for its segments
Old 04-24-2011, 08:07 PM   #6
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85162
What I Drive: 2011 Chevy Volt

FF Reputation: 1 Charged Up Good Standing Member
Over Priced Compared to what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012st View Post
plus the chevyvolt isnt an electric car... Should be a plugin with gas and is way over priced for its segments
Many people compare it to the Prius. If you equip a 2011 Prius comparable to the Volt, I find the price of the Prius is 38,963 at Edmunds.

So the Volt is cheaper out of the gate (after Tax Credit), and it saves me money on operating costs.

Can you buy a 15k that gets good gas mileage yes. Is that comparable to the Volt. I don't know. Many compare the Volt to a BMW 5 series based on handling and convenience features.

I believe the Ford Focus E will also have high end ride quality and features. Should would compare to Kia and Hyundai econo boxes?

http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/prius/...3295&trim=five
Old 05-03-2011, 09:13 AM   #7
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 85224
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Kona Blue Metalic (soon)

FF Reputation: 1 lampcord Good Standing Member
I did a side by side total cost of ownership of a Nissan Leaf vs a Honda Civic and it was just about a push AFTER the $7500 rebate.

You can do this at Edmunds, they have a total cost of ownership summary on every car.

I haven't looked at the E-Focus as extensively but I would assume its in the same ballpark.

Anyway, the bottom line is, electric cars over 5 years are about $7500 more than comparably equipped ICE vehicles.

So the rebate is just about spot on.

My plan at one point was to lease the Leaf so the battery devaluation would already be figured in up front. Turns out payments are < $400 / month.

I pulled out of the Leaf deal mostly because I lost faith in being able to take delivery in time. They aren't even scheduled for delivery in my area till December and they are way behind their delivery schedule.

I'm not willing to wait another year for a new car. Instead, I'm getting a 3 year lease on a Focus. I figure by the time its up, e-car production both at Nissan and Ford should be up to speed. Also, batteries will be better and all the cold weather issues will either be worked out or fully exposed.

The other possibility is that e cars will totally flop and I will have completely missed the chance but I'm willing to risk that.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:42 PM   #8
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85682
What I Drive: 2009 Blue SES Coupe

FF Reputation: 1 TimothyDike Good Standing Member
Is anyone taking into account how much you will pay topping the battery off? Is the charging system smart enough to cut if off or will the current continue to trickle in to keep it at full charge?
Old 05-18-2011, 01:17 PM   #9
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 39705
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 GearDriven Good Standing Member
Cost

If cost/mile is key, then looking at a ~3 year old car with an extended warranty would be the key factor. For $5,000, you can get a lot of car where the owner has ate all the depreciation. Buying any car to save money is about as good as nuking for peace.

The real issue for electric cars is the maturity of the technology. What if any of the current breakthroughs in ultra-capacitors or batteries come true and cars come out with 200-250 mile ranges that can charge in less than 15 minutes for less than the cost of a Focus/Leaf eletric even after rebates? Your car is not a car, but a piece of technology and will become redundant as fast.

Suddenly your car depreciates like yesterday's $700 Oppo super interpolating DVD player.

For $30,000 after tax rebates, I can buy 6,250 gallons of gas at $4/gallon. That's enough gas to go 187,500 miles in a focus. Even if gas prices double, I will be driving my car a long time--long past the warranty of a battery pack. Oh and I can actually pick people up from the airport 70 miles away on 70+ mph limited freeways without having to stop and top off.

The fact that you can't lease an electric for any reasonable sum should give you an idea of the risk in the residuals for the auto makers.

If you really want to be green and save money, move closer to work and ride your bike/run/walk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampcord View Post
I did a side by side total cost of ownership of a Nissan Leaf vs a Honda Civic and it was just about a push AFTER the $7500 rebate.

You can do this at Edmunds, they have a total cost of ownership summary on every car.

I haven't looked at the E-Focus as extensively but I would assume its in the same ballpark.

Anyway, the bottom line is, electric cars over 5 years are about $7500 more than comparably equipped ICE vehicles.

So the rebate is just about spot on.

My plan at one point was to lease the Leaf so the battery devaluation would already be figured in up front. Turns out payments are < $400 / month.

I pulled out of the Leaf deal mostly because I lost faith in being able to take delivery in time. They aren't even scheduled for delivery in my area till December and they are way behind their delivery schedule.

I'm not willing to wait another year for a new car. Instead, I'm getting a 3 year lease on a Focus. I figure by the time its up, e-car production both at Nissan and Ford should be up to speed. Also, batteries will be better and all the cold weather issues will either be worked out or fully exposed.

The other possibility is that e cars will totally flop and I will have completely missed the chance but I'm willing to risk that.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:10 PM   #10
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 85224
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Kona Blue Metalic (soon)

FF Reputation: 1 lampcord Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearDriven View Post
For $30,000 after tax rebates,
The Leaf after rebate was appx $25,000. Not sure about the Focus. If its $30k after rebate they are in trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearDriven View Post

If you really want to be green and save money, move closer to work and ride your bike/run/walk...
It was never about being green as much as saving money and using fuel that is domestically produced.

Moving to save money in this real estate environment is also like using a nuke for peace. I'd much rather lease a cost effective form of transportation that I can walk away from in 3 years with no obligation or cost then sink more money into a new home with no clear bottom in the real estate market in the near future.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.