Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Introducing the All-New Ford Focus Electric

76K views 117 replies 86 participants last post by  Zwolf 
#1 ·

• All-new Ford Focus Electric is the first fuel-free, rechargeable passenger car from Ford and one of five new electrified vehicles Ford will deliver by 2013 in North America and Europe
  • Focus Electric will offer a mile-per-gallon equivalent better than Chevrolet Volt and competitive with other battery electric vehicles
  • The all-electric Focus is capable of fully recharging in three to four hours at home using the available wall-mounted 240-volt charge station – charging in half the time of the Nissan Leaf
  • The new Focus Electric offers value charging, powered by Microsoft, to help owners in the U.S. charge their vehicles at the cheapest utility rates, lowering the cost of ownership
  • Focus Electric provides a special version of MyFord Touch™ driver connect technology especially for electric customers and introduces MyFord Mobile, a smartphone app and website for monitoring key vehicle functions and charge settings while mobile

Ford Motor Company unveiled today its all-new Focus Electric – the company's first-ever all-electric passenger car. The zero-CO2-emissions, gasoline-free version of Ford's popular small car is the flagship of the company's growing fleet of hybrid, plug-in hybrid and all-electric vehicles coming to North America and Europe by 2013.

"Focus Electric is the flagship of our new family of electrified vehicles, showcasing our commitment to offer consumers choice when it comes to fuel-efficient or fuel-free vehicles," said Derrick Kuzak, Ford group vice president for Global Product Development. "Its advanced powertrain will deliver significant energy efficiency advantages and zero CO2 emissions without compromising driving enjoyment. And its suite of smart driver information technologies will transform the way customers think about energy usage and their transportation needs."

The Focus Electric will launch in late 2011 and is designed to offer enough range to cover the majority of daily driving habits of Americans. It will offer a mile-per-gallon equivalent better than Chevrolet Volt and competitive with other battery electric vehicles.

A full recharge is expected to take three to four hours at home with the 240-volt charge station –half the charge time of the Nissan Leaf.

Focus Electric introduces new features and technologies – including a unique version of the MyFord Touch driver connect system especially for electric vehicles, a new value charging feature powered by Microsoft and a smartphone app called MyFord Mobile that helps plug-in owners control their vehicles remotely.

The sleek and stylish five-door hatchback leverages Ford's global C-car platform shared by the gasoline and diesel-powered Focus models, which debuted at the 2010 North American International Auto Show and were launched at the Paris Motor Show in September.

Both Focus gasoline and electric variants to be sold in North America will be built at Ford's Michigan Assembly Plant in Wayne, Mich., with production powered in part by one of the largest solar energy generator systems in the state.

For European markets, a decision on where the Focus Electric will be built is currently being finalized.

Focus Electric is one of five new electrified vehicles included in Ford's electrification strategy. Initial deliveries of Transit Connect Electric began in North America at the end of last year and the vehicle will be launched in Europe later in 2011.

A real car

Not only is Focus Electric designed to provide outstanding energy efficiency and reliable operation, it also delivers real driving enjoyment. The all-electric powertrain and single-speed transmission provide immediate responsiveness and smooth acceleration when the driver pushes down the accelerator, up to a top speed of 84 mph (136 kph).

Much of Focus Electric's steering, handling and braking feel is shared with the agile, sporty, fuel-powered Focus models upon which it's based, making Focus Electric a dynamic driver's car. At the same time, the absence of a gasoline or diesel engine and outstanding aerodynamics lead to a remarkably quiet, comfortable in-car experience.

"More than any other electric vehicle on the market, Focus Electric loses none of the dynamics and quality of driving a traditional car," said Sherif Marakby, director of Ford's electrification programs and engineering. "It shares many of the same premium components and features as its gasoline-powered counterpart, while delivering distinct efficiencies and a uniquely exciting driving experience."

Focus Electric offers a host of standard safety and security features including six airbags and electronic traction control, along with hands-free SYNC® telephone connectivity and MyKey® for North America. Extensive eco-friendly materials, such as bio-foam seat cushions and recycled fabrics also are featured in the vehicle.

Other standard features on Ford Focus Electric for North American customers include a unique execution of MyFord Touch driver connect technology, 15-spoke 17-inch aluminum wheels, a 60/40 split rear bench seat, push button start, AM/FM/CD/MP3 Sony® Audio with nine speakers, Sirius® Satellite Radio with Travel Link, HD Radio™ and voice-activated Navigation System.

Plug and play
Future owners of the Focus Electric will likely recharge the car's advanced, Ford-engineered lithium-ion battery pack at home on a daily basis, using the recommended 240-volt wall-mounted charge station that will be sold separately or the 120-volt convenience cord that comes with the vehicle.

When plugged in, the Focus Electric onboard charger converts AC power from the electric grid to DC power to charge the liquid-cooled/heated battery pack.

"We're very excited about the potential of Focus Electric in the marketplace. With so many of us accustomed to recharging mobile electronics on a daily basis, we're confident our customers will take to the vehicle recharging process just as easily, because that's exactly what it is – easy," said Nancy Gioia, Ford director of Global Electrification. "Not only have we made the practice of plugging in simple and straightforward, we're working with leading technology companies and the utility industry to make the EV experience empowering and engaging."

An empowering experience
Focus Electric owners will be provided with a suite of driver information systems – on-board and off-board – designed to help them manage the recharge process, manage the most eco-friendly route on-board, monitor battery state of charge and maximize energy efficiency to optimize their driving range. This carefully engineered set of tools is designed to give Focus Electric the edge over competitive products, providing new electric vehicle owners the information they need to enjoy all the freedom gas-free driving has to offer.

Among these tools is a unique execution of MyFord Touch driver connect technology. Thoughtfully developed for electric vehicle owners, it offers innovative presentation of vehicle information, such as battery state of charge, distance to charge point, the corresponding range budget and expected range margin. The system's MyView feature allows drivers to access even more vehicle data including the electrical demands of vehicle accessories such as air conditioning, which can impact driving range.

Just as the growing leafy vine of first-generation SmartGauge™ with EcoGuide represents fuel efficiency in the Ford Fusion Hybrid, the cluster display in Focus Electric uses blue butterflies to represent the surplus range beyond one's charge point destination – the more butterflies there are, the greater the range.

Ford designers were inspired by the phenomenon known as "the butterfly effect," in which a small change, like choosing to drive an electric vehicle, can have an enormous impact. To reinforce the message, at the end of each trip a display screen provides distance driven, miles gained through regenerative braking, energy consumed and a comparative gasoline savings achieved by driving electric.

The cluster is also integrated with the MyFord Touch map-based Navigation System using the vehicle's center stack 8-inch touch screen. After adding their driving destinations, including their next charge point, into the vehicle's Navigation System, the vehicle will coach drivers on how to achieve the desired range – or if travel plans need to be adjusted. The on-board Navigation System provides an EcoRoute option based on characteristics of efficient EV driving.

Remote control
Off-board, Focus Electric owners in North America will be able to maintain constant contact with the car anywhere they have mobile phone access using the Ford-developed MyFord Mobile app.

MyFord Mobile is an app that enables access via a smartphone or web-based interface to:

• Receive instant vehicle status information
  • Perform key functions remotely
  • Monitor the car's state of charge and current range
  • Get alerts when it requires charging or has finished charging
  • Remotely program charge settings and download vehicle data for analysis

The feature also allows the owner to program the vehicle to use electricity from the grid to heat or cool the battery and cabin while plugged in – called preconditioning. For example, during hot summer months, owners can preprogram the car the evening before to be fully charged – and fully cooled to a particular temperature – by a certain time the following morning. Users can also locate the vehicle with GPS, remotely start the vehicle and remotely lock and unlock the car doors.

Working with MapQuest®, MyFord Mobile can communicate charge station and other points of interest to Focus Electric using SYNC's Traffic, Directions and Information (TDI). Turn-by-turn guidance is provided by the in-car map-based Navigation System. Drivers can also get up-to-date charging station information in their vehicle directly through SYNC TDI simply by connecting to SYNC Services.

Value charging
The new Focus Electric offers a unique value charging feature, powered by Microsoft, to help owners in the U.S. charge their vehicles at the cheapest utility rates, lowering the cost of ownership.

"Value charging allows our customers to reduce their electricity costs by taking advantage of off-peak or other reduced rates from their utility without a complicated set-up process," said Ed Pleet, manager, Ford Connected Services Organization. "This is a ‘set it and forget it' approach for the customer to reduce energy cost."

The tool is designed to help customers avoid unnecessary expense by providing an optimized charge. In the future, these smart charging habits will help utility companies understand and better manage the demands placed upon the electric grid because of electrified vehicles.

Getting charged up
Focus Electric owners are likely to handle one of the vehicle's charge cord connectors two or more times each day. That's why Ford worked with supplier Yazaki to provide an industry-standard five-point plug that is ergonomically comfortable to hold as well as durably and distinctively designed.

The plug handle uses a matte-finished black rubber that allows for a comfortable, non-slip grip. The plug head is shielded with a protective glossy white plastic.

When the cord set connector is plugged into the vehicle's charge port, which is conveniently located between the driver's door and front wheel well, it activates a light ring that loops around the port twice in acknowledgement of connectivity. The light ring then illuminates in quadrants as the vehicle charges. Flashing quadrants represent charge in progress and solid-lit quadrants show stages of charge completion. In the unlikely event of a fault, the entire ring will flash. When the entire ring is solidly lit, the vehicle is fully charged.

Batteries included
Focus Electric will be powered by an advanced lithium-ion battery system engineered by Ford in cooperation with supplier LG Chem. The battery system utilizes heated and cooled liquid to help maximize battery life and fuel-free driving range.

Thermal management of lithium-ion battery systems is critical to the success of pure electric vehicles. Focus Electric uses an advanced active liquid cooling and heating system to precondition and regulate the temperature in its larger, more complex lithium-ion battery system.

The active liquid system heats or chills a coolant before pumping it through the battery cooling system. This loop regulates temperature throughout the system against external conditions. On hot days, chilled liquid absorbs heat from the batteries, dispersing it through a radiator before pumping it through the chiller again. On cold days, heated liquid warms the batteries, gradually bringing the system's temperature to a level that allows it to efficiently accept charge energy and provide enough discharge power for expected vehicle performance.

"Focus Electric is the culmination of years of research and development," said Kuzak. "More importantly, it's the start of an exciting new era for Ford and our customers."

See less See more
#9 ·
That was my first thought as well! But if you look at the close-up photo, is it even a real grille? Or just there for looks? Maybe it's just the heavily retouched image that makes it look fake. [dunno] On topic, I'm not ready for an electric car just yet. [dunno]

#5 ·
I wonder how well this will hold up.

I think it would be better to make an Electric Fiesta as oppose to this electric Focus.
Less weight, wont drain the batteries as quick.

It does look like the Dodge Caliber, but lets hope this one nor the gas one will run like a Caliber.

-Ray-

#6 ·
I wonder how well this will hold up.

I think it would be better to make an Electric Fiesta as oppose to this electric Focus.
Less weight, wont drain the batteries as quick.

It does look like the Dodge Caliber, but lets hope this one nor the gas one will run like a Caliber.

-Ray-
I think the Fiesta is supposed to draw in younger crowds, right? So maybe they rather make an electric Focus versus the Fiesta (at least as the first electric) because they feel it would sell better to more families. [dunno]

I know it's not appealing to me.

#8 ·
Should easily be a top competitor in its market segment. Much better looking than a Caliber, IMO. Wonder whether the hardware for those five-lug alloys will be backwards adaptable to our current Foci?

#11 ·
aston martin front - thats what i thought too! I don't know if I'm ready for the electric yet, though the new fiesta isn't too bad.

#14 ·
looking at the gauge cluster.... i had a feeling that i was driving a Iphone... seeing the battery lvl.

plus, why did ford put 140mph on focus if it was gov. to 109/110... 109 on my focus?

If it was a sport electric car, then that thing would have some FAST acceleration. PERIOD.[chair]

#13 ·
This is an awesome vehicle for people who want to go zero emissions and can live with the range limitation. The software features set it apart from other BEVs. In a perfect world, with unlimited funds, I would have a Focus Electric in my stable of cars for city and suburban use. It is cool. In the market for battery electric vehicles it should sell well if it is competively priced.

#42 ·
This car uses LiIon batts- much lighter than lead acid batts.

Electric vehicles are( can be) quite torquey right off the line. Maybe you're thinking of a golf cart?

http://www.fpl.com/environment/plant/power_plant_projects.shtml
Looks like Nat gas and nuclear and oil make power for you in FL

Nothing is oging to kill the oil industry- there are too many uses for oil
( besides gasoline and diesel, there are hundreds of other byproducts).

It's here to stay.

#16 ·
Way to go Ford! An electric car that isn't ugly!

Now, make it better.

Why have so many people gotten hot and bothered over a Tesla that costs 3 of these and yet this won't sell like the proverbial hotcakes? Because it's fast! And it's good for the environment. And it's fast. And hot, like A.J. hot. And fast. Sense a theme here? Imagine this, a SVT eFocus. A little functional bolt and tape on bodywork, better batteries, and a bigger motor. Zero-to-sixty in like 4.2-4.7. (You have to be realistic here, at the end of the day it's still a Focus after all.) Keep it under $35k. I still couldn't afford one, but those would fly off the proverbial shelf.

#18 ·
I think these are a decent idea. the mileage is acceptable given the intended use. How many people drive 100 miles a day?

Granted, it can't go on extended trips, but that isn't why this car was built.

#20 ·
It's pretty cool but not for me. almost 70 miles to and from work nevermind the "other" trips I do during work. I do about 3K a month.

According to the batt gauge in the pic the car might do about 80-100 miles on a full charge.

And yes the hybrids seem slow. A guy showed up at an auto-x with a Civic Hybrid and was tripping the start lights with his front and rear tires. We were starting him about 3 car lengths behind the start line so he would not do a double trip on the lights. And I thought electric was supposed to have a better pickup than a gas car?

#21 ·
Cool looking car. This will be at the top of it's class. Now, put a sport button in like the C-RZ Hybrid and then push the "quick" electric car in TV ads.

#23 ·
I would consider it for a work runner this would make a dent in my gas spendage but that is about it. With a limited range of 100 miles at best and no fueling infrastructure. For me this is not pratical. Until there are charging stations and increased range 300+ miles, this will never be a consideration for me.
Thats not to say that I dont support this tech cause I do and would love to see a this tech replace oil!! Its a great Idea and look forward to the day that I trade in my gas hog for a the 300hp electric equivalent.

#24 ·
I think a lot of you are only concerned with performance and that's ok, but that certainly is not the purpose of this car. When gas prices sky rocket again, you might think twice about it. Think of it this way, you keep your SVT or fun car in the garage for weekends and long treks and your electric car is your work horse that runs you all around on your errands and such.

Personally, I like it and would own one if it had better range. Once these things hit 2-300 miles in range, game on.

#27 ·
Nice but Niche (at least for now)

The basic problem is the limited range coupled with a lack of charging infrastructure.

Sure the marketing people claim that 100 miles is more than the average driven per day. But:

1. The range is likely only under perfect conditions, batteries shiny and new, no lights AC, heater etc.

2. Nobody will want to drive within 30 miles of the maximum range for fear of running out of juice and being stranded. Just look at fuel gauges on current cars, you can drive for at least 30 miles past empty and people still panic when it shows E.

3. Those average daily mileages ignore the fact that many of us have routine longer trips we need to accomplish. For example every 2 weeks I need to go to Rochester and back, round trip awfully close to 100 miles. What am I supposed to do for that ? buy a second car ? give me a break that isn't very eco friendly (or cost effective).

Honestly I really wish they'd at least offered a hybrid as well. I need a car that has enough flexibility to replace our working ZX5 runabout when it finally kicks the bucket.

#29 ·
Honestly I really wish they'd at least offered a hybrid as well. I need a car that has enough flexibility to replace our working ZX5 runabout when it finally kicks the bucket.
Paying attention to what Ford announced yesterday.........[;)][;)]

Based on the same new Focus platform introducing the new C-Max Plug in Hybrid called the C-Max Energi......C-MAX Energi targets more than 500 miles (800 kilometers) of driving range using the battery and engine, more than any other plug-in or extended-range vehicle.

Next choice again based on the same new Focus platform introducing the new C-Max Hybrid, C-MAX Hybrid is targeted to deliver better miles per gallon than Ford Fusion Hybrid, the most fuel-efficient sedan in America

Ford will launch C-MAX Energi, its first-ever production plug-in hybrid electric vehicle, and C-MAX Hybrid, a full hybrid variant, in North America in 2012 and Europe in 2013

• Both versions of the five-passenger multi-activity vehicle will leverage the company’s global C-car platform, critically acclaimed powersplit hybrid architecture, next-generation driver information features and advanced, lighter and smaller lithium-ion (Li-ion) battery systems [wave][clap][burnout] Both the C-MAX Energi and C-MAX Hybrid models will be built alongside the all-new 2012 Ford Focus and Focus Electric at Ford’s Michigan Assembly Plant in Wayne, Mich.

Ford North America big goal is to have a vehicle type or choice to hopefully satisfy mosts consumers wants and desires

BTW the 5 passenger C-Max as shown above is like your current ZX5 with great driving feel but just a liitle taller, with the same 5 door useability

DIMENSIONS (inches) 5 passenger C-Max
EXTERIOR

Wheelbase 104.2
Length 173.6
Width 71.9 (excluding mirrors)
Height 63.7
Track,
front/rear
60.7/60.7
[read][read][read][read][read][read][read][read][read][read][read][read]
Focus Electric DIMENSIONS
(inches unless otherwise noted)

EXTERIOR
Wheelbase 104.3
Length 171.7
Width 72.4
Height 58.9
Track,
front/rear
61.2/60.4

#28 ·
Even with the limited range, I am considering one.

there are too many pros, even despite that one huge con.

virtually no maintance. maybe near 100k you need some stuff, like struts, bearings, and batteries. but durring that time your not paying for LOFs, transmission flushes, altenators, coil packs, sparkplugs and wires, normal 12v batteries, clutches, fuelpumps, fuel filters.

you can save about 600-1000 on lube and filter change, a hundred or so on (good)tranny flushes, altenators are a pretty good nuissance at a hefty price, coil packs could go for about 100, spark plugs and wires also get up there in price too, 12v batteries are not cheap, close to $100, expect one to go out in 100K.

Clutches are about 800 w/labor. (or more)

Im just tring to prove that ICE aren't cheap to run/maintain/operate
(though I understand that Li batteries are $$$, same with copper motors,and advanced regen braking componets)

all in all, the electric car over simplifies the equation. and all the important parts are covered by some sort of emmissions regulation.

right now, electric cars barely squeek out as "cost effective" in the long run, but if oil and gas prices continue to rise... electric cars will look more and more appealling.

I have already seen a hybrid car battery salvaged at 80k miles or so. It had 3 bad cells, it took 2 very high-end battery testers (~$500) and some good old fashion ebay action and about 250 more dollars, to keep from replacing a $3000 dollar battery.

so yeah, batteries are an issue, but there are ways around "replacing". and that trend will carry throughout the industry. That and economies of scale, coupled with advancing technology will drive the price to its floor. So when the time would come... its not going to hurt as bad.

and yeah, if I had one, I would have another gas powered one for long trips. But even i could daily a focus electric most of the year.

#33 ·
lol aston martin...... I'm slow I just saw this link but the first thing I thought was "wow what is an aston martin doing on Focus Fan- oh.... it's a focus. huh?" lol.

#34 ·
A plug in hybrid is the most appealing to me, unless someone pioneers some sort of super battery that provides 400-500 miles on a single charge.

One reason the Volt is so appealing: if your commute to work is 10-15 miles there, and 10-15 back, odds are you could do it on electricity alone. BUT, there is always a gas engine as a safety net and when that runs out of juice, fill 'er up in 5 minutes at a gas station.

Battery in a pure EV dies? Do you swing by the diner for a burger and try and sneak the cord in behind you or scan random buildings for outdoor plugs and take a nap?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.