Car mods that increase reliability - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Second Generation > MK2 Focus

MK2 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the second generation 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2016, 09:29 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 317281
What I Drive: 2011 Sangria Red SE

Points 333, Level 6
Points: 333, Level: 6 Points: 333, Level: 6 Points: 333, Level: 6
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 David1826 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Car mods that increase reliability

So I recently bought my 2011 SE and am looking at possible mods that increase reliability/functionality. If you could list several in order of cheapest first that'd be great thanks

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2016, 10:02 PM   #2
Elder

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 27,896, Level 98
Points: 27,896, Level: 98 Points: 27,896, Level: 98 Points: 27,896, Level: 98
Level Up 55% Completed
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 125 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
Functionality is in the eye of the beholder, what makes it work better for you?

We've got many sections that could apply, all depends on what you'd like for your own use.

Reliability is a tougher one, unless a particular model has an issue that can be fixed preemptively there is little to be done beyond keeping up with regular maint. and inspection.

Engines usually last as long as the car with other items adding up to a reason to retire it, so it's not a large advantage to do more than proper maint. there either.

Some try to go further with better oil/filters, or install a bypass filtration system for longer drain intervals while using better oil as well. The best aid seldom installed is an Accusump pressure reservoir, it'll maintain pressure for a short interval if pressure from the pump is lost and can pressurize the system before starting the engine.

Those are extremes, seldom seen on average cars. Accusump is usually only on some race cars.

If yours is an automatic, the 30k fluid changes are SELDOM done, and trans issues are the typical reason to get rid of the car because of breakage.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 09-11-2016, 10:05 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Points 333, Level 6
Level Up 66% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Functionality is in the eye of the beholder, what makes it work better for you?

We've got many sections that could apply, all depends on what you'd like for your own use.

Reliability is a tougher one, unless a particular model has an issue that can be fixed preemptively there is little to be done beyond keeping up with regular maint. and inspection.

Engines usually last as long as the car with other items adding up to a reason to retire it, so it's not a large advantage to do more than proper maint. there either.

Some try to go further with better oil/filters, or install a bypass filtration system for longer drain intervals while using better oil as well. The best aid seldom installed is an Accusump pressure reservoir, it'll maintain pressure for a short interval if pressure from the pump is lost and can pressurize the system before starting the engine.

Those are extremes, seldom seen on average cars. Accusump is usually only on some race cars.

If yours is an automatic, the 30k fluid changes are SELDOM done, and trans issues are the typical reason to get rid of the car because of breakage.

Thanks for the info. Mine is the automatic. I will have to check out and keep an eye on the fluids (transmission I'm assuming)

Old 09-11-2016, 10:09 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 268945
What I Drive: 2008 Focus SE, Silver, 5 Speed.

Points 735, Level 14
Points: 735, Level: 14 Points: 735, Level: 14 Points: 735, Level: 14
Level Up 35% Completed
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 2 btb971 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
My honest opinion if you want reliability and comfort leave the car stock. The engineers design these cars to run well out of the factory, adding things will increase performance but could decrease reliability. I would change out all the fluids, trans, Oil, radiator flush, brakes, power steering. That way you can be sure those fluids are good and you know when they were done. Maybe a tune for economy? I'm not a tune guru but Tom or other members know more about that. But I'd leave it stock if comfort and reliability is your thing. The 2.0 duratec is a very strong and great motor. I've drove 3 hours, auto crossed beat the motor and drove back and starts right up the next day for work. They are great cars if you take care of them. Good choice. Maybe add the steering wheel with cruise control and a aftermarket headunit with Bluetooth if you just have the plain wheel. Although a exhaust shouldn't hurt much . Good choice though man. Enjoy the car!

Old 09-11-2016, 10:14 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Points 333, Level 6
Level Up 66% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by btb971 View Post
My honest opinion if you want reliability and comfort leave the car stock. The engineers design these cars to run well out of the factory, adding things will increase performance but could decrease reliability. I would change out all the fluids, trans, Oil, radiator flush, brakes, power steering. That way you can be sure those fluids are good and you know when they were done. Maybe a tune for economy? I'm not a tune guru but Tom or other members know more about that. But I'd leave it stock if comfort and reliability is your thing. The 2.0 duratec is a very strong and great motor. I've drove 3 hours, auto crossed beat the motor and drove back and starts right up the next day for work. They are great cars if you take care of them. Good choice. Maybe add the steering wheel with cruise control and a aftermarket headunit with Bluetooth if you just have the plain wheel. Although a exhaust shouldn't hurt much . Good choice though man. Enjoy the car!

Thanks! I have the cruise control steering wheel and sync so I think I'm good with those. My car has a lot of the options while still being an SE and not the SES

Has 60k miles and it sounds like with proper maint. It should have no problem getting 200k+ miles

Arco-Zakus and btb971 like this.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:25 PM   #6
Elder

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 27,896, Level 98
Points: 27,896, Level: 98 Points: 27,896, Level: 98 Points: 27,896, Level: 98
Level Up 55% Completed
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 125 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
At 60k it's due for it's second transmission fluid change, and the first was probably never done.

That's what I mean by regular maint. to extend life, when these get to high mileage and the trans gives up it's too late.

btb971 added the other fluids, which can also help and are seldom done beyond oil changes. Might be a 5 yr. change on coolant for example, that means yours is now due. Brake fluid, coolant, etc. are usually left for when something breaks before servicing.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 09-11-2016, 10:26 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 268945
What I Drive: 2008 Focus SE, Silver, 5 Speed.

Points 735, Level 14
Points: 735, Level: 14 Points: 735, Level: 14 Points: 735, Level: 14
Level Up 35% Completed
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 2 btb971 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Car mods that increase reliability

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1826 View Post
Thanks! I have the cruise control steering wheel and sync so I think I'm good with those. My car has a lot of the options while still being an SE and not the SES

Has 60k miles and it sounds like with proper maint. It should have no problem getting 200k+ miles

Looks good, I've always loved that red! There's actually a thread here about mileage and maintenance.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...9&share_type=t

I love mine and subtle mods shouldn't hurt too much intake exhaust aren't bad but going with heavier mods, tune, boost, etc could possibly mess with it but like I said above if 100% reliability is your thing I'd leave it stock. At 60k you have a long way ahead of you and shouldn't hurt at all with little things I was thinking the car was higher mileage. Apologies. Just keep up with maintenance and it will be good to you! How do you like it so far? I have a 08 SE myself.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:38 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 47605
What I Drive: 2017 Focus RS to come

Points 2,139, Level 27
Points: 2,139, Level: 27 Points: 2,139, Level: 27 Points: 2,139, Level: 27
Level Up 93% Completed
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 7 04SVTZX5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1826 View Post

Nice Ride. Don't be so conservative...lol. Should be more like 300K+ miles. You own one of the most reliable Focus model years ever made.

Like sailor said the trans fluid is a huge maintenance issue for longevity. Many people will ignore it and that is potential problems.

With 60k miles on your trans fluid now I would not wait much longer to change it and would be worthwhile to find out the condition of the fluid now.

I have owned my 2011 SES since new and it just turned 120K miles. I changed the trans fluid at 30K and 75K miles. Do extended oil changes with the extended Mobil one synthetic. Only tires, front brakes, oil, trans and coolant fluid changes in those miles. No problems to date.

Driving around today I am just impressed at how well this Focus was made. Still a smooth ride, great fuel mileage and still has all its power on the 2.0 duratec.

I don't bother modding it because I usually have some other ride to speed around with. I use this Focus as a workhorse and its done a great job. My last Focus the 2002 ZX5 Zetec auto that went 225K miles with very few issues and the motor/trans were fine. So I see no problem getting 300K miles out of the SES.

Enjoy the hell out of that SE while keeping up with the maintenance. Your Focus will thank you.
sailor likes this.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:54 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Points 333, Level 6
Level Up 66% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by btb971 View Post
Looks good, I've always loved that red! There's actually a thread here about mileage and maintenance.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...9&share_type=t

I love mine and subtle mods shouldn't hurt too much intake exhaust aren't bad but going with heavier mods, tune, boost, etc could possibly mess with it but like I said above if 100% reliability is your thing I'd leave it stock. At 60k you have a long way ahead of you and shouldn't hurt at all with little things I was thinking the car was higher mileage. Apologies. Just keep up with maintenance and it will be good to you! How do you like it so far? I have a 08 SE myself.

I'm loving it so far. Much better mpg than my first car 2001 dodge Dakota. Got a whopping 14mpg when I calculated several times. This car just is so comfy and good mpg and seems much bigger than it is tbh. Does not seem to be a small car at all. Little less than 6 foot 1 and 230 pounds and I have plenty of room in the car even with my dad or girlfriend in the passenger seat. I love taking care of things and this is just another thing I can take good care of and appreciate

Old 09-11-2016, 11:55 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Points 333, Level 6
Level Up 66% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04SVTZX5 View Post
Nice Ride. Don't be so conservative...lol. Should be more like 300K+ miles. You own one of the most reliable Focus model years ever made.

Like sailor said the trans fluid is a huge maintenance issue for longevity. Many people will ignore it and that is potential problems.

With 60k miles on your trans fluid now I would not wait much longer to change it and would be worthwhile to find out the condition of the fluid now.

I have owned my 2011 SES since new and it just turned 120K miles. I changed the trans fluid at 30K and 75K miles. Do extended oil changes with the extended Mobil one synthetic. Only tires, front brakes, oil, trans and coolant fluid changes in those miles. No problems to date.

Driving around today I am just impressed at how well this Focus was made. Still a smooth ride, great fuel mileage and still has all its power on the 2.0 duratec.

I don't bother modding it because I usually have some other ride to speed around with. I use this Focus as a workhorse and its done a great job. My last Focus the 2002 ZX5 Zetec auto that went 225K miles with very few issues and the motor/trans were fine. So I see no problem getting 300K miles out of the SES.

Enjoy the hell out of that SE while keeping up with the maintenance. Your Focus will thank you.

I serviced my transmission (just dropped the pan) on my last car (dodge Dakota) and was wondering if my fluid change you mean just dropping the pan and changing fluid or doing a flush

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.