Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Plasti Dip Removal

7K views 40 replies 13 participants last post by  lacole725 
#1 ·
Soooo i've had my wheels dipped black for awhile and thought maybe i'd switch it up a little. Went with red and it looks ok but this attempt didn't turn out as well and some of it's already chipping in some areas.

I'm looking to strip all of those dip layers I've applied to get my wheels back to stock for now, before i decide to do anything else.

I've heard WD-40 and this stuff called De-Solv-It works well when you let it soak into the dip and powerwash. Anyone know if it works? Pulling it off is pretty difficult on 15 spokes and if you've kept it on for several months haha.

thanks guys

#2 ·
How many coats did you put on originally? It should peel off pretty easily if you sprayed it on thick enough even on 15-spokes.

#11 ·
The best part about dip is it works great if you just keep layering it on. Of course if you did a bad spray job, any texture you had on the wheel will show through unless you go back after you're finished and fix it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T0jEvxxTzE

Here's how DipYourCar did it.

#13 ·
I'd be weary of using WD-40 on any painted surface of my car. I've heard it works, but I would not leave it on the paint any longer then you have to.

#15 ·
I used wd40 at one point on my wheels to help break down the plastidip. and It does help it dissolve some but not completely. Still takes hours and lots of elbow grease with a scotch pad or something similar. And the wd40 actually caused some of the original paint on my wheels to come off so I ended up just platidipping them again at the time... Then last year I decided to go all out and spent a few days removing the plastidip as good as I could before painting them with wheel paint, which turned out really good(=

#16 ·
The de-Solv-it worked really well! Sprayed heavy coats and let it sit for like 10-15 minutes and then spray! Most of it comes right off and then you can just pull off any left overs! Saw this on a wrx wheel vid. So back to stock wheel color for now.[like] doesn't hurt original paint

#19 ·
If done right Mac, it's not problem to remove. Everyone thinks it's like spray paint but it's not. A single coat with some touch up won't work.

#22 ·
THis^
You can't just do a bunch of real thin layers of plastidip. You do a light 2 layers then you lay it on thick for at least 5 more layers for easy removal lol

If you paint something right to begin with, you won't need to remove it. Problem solved.
But some people like to change it up often and plastidip is great for that. And with all of the color options now, it is great to just see how different color schemes look without breaking the bank.

Plus the time it takes to plastidip a set of wheels is a fraction of that to paint them. I may do mine black plastidip again just because I like the matte black look. Then if I don't like it, I can peel it off and why gunmetal will still be intact on the wheel(=

#25 ·
Well, if you're just changing colors and removing it, I can do that in photoshop in a few minutes.

No sense in wasting my time spraying junk all over my car to decide that I don't like it.

I guess I don't understand the concept of buying several cans of something with the intent to remove it later. Why not just throw your money in the garbage and save yourself the effort?

#26 ·
Well, if you're just changing colors and removing it, I can do that in photoshop in a few minutes.

No sense in wasting my time spraying junk all over my car to decide that I don't like it.
That's not the point. It's more for those who wanna change up the look of their car every once in a while. I agree that Photoshop is way easier if you just wanna see what something looks like.

#27 ·
It's useful for things such as, protecting your paint or chrome or whatnot from all the salt and crap on the roads in the winter.

#30 ·
Too each his own I say, I'd rather know how to physically paint my car any color I choose rather than sit at a computer in one position with a two button mouse. I can do both but [:)][:)][:)][:)] sitting inside I don't care how hot or cold it is.

#32 ·
Yeah I love being outside and would love to do more work on cars in free time.. But finding that free time is the trick lol

Even with a great job that I'm off on weekend and work 39 hours a week salary it is still hard to have time to do work to my car lately. I would rather spend time with my wife and such.

#38 ·
Well I guess we'll see how well it comes off this weekend. I did my winter rubber in white with a few layers of gloss. About 7 layers of dip went on each wheel with 5 layers of gloss. Not ever doing white again. WAY to much brake dust from my car to keep them clean.

#41 ·
You also have to make sure your car is impeccably clean before applying it, everything will show through. My friend found that out the hard way on his 240. We are in the process of removing it.

People plasti-dip their cars to protect the paint if they track the car, hit the show circuit a lot and want to keep changing things up, or intend to sell the car later. There is a guy I know of (I don't personally know him, but a lot of the people I hang out with do) that has an FD RX7, some of you may have seen it. His name is Phil Sohn. The car is actually a dark blue I think, but he keeps the plasti-dip on it. It was a flat black and now it is gold. My friend (RL Photography) does a lot of Phil's photo work, so you could look him up on FB to see some pictures. Here is a link for the Google Image Search.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.