Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Bike Mount Options

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  bugman 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have a 2010 Focus SE with a regular trunk. I am trying to figure out what kind of bike mount to get. Here are a few guidelines I need to try and stay between:

- It will only be used a couple times during the summer months when we go camping and such
- Must fit 3 bikes. Right now we have 2 adults and 1 boys 20" bike
- Looking to not spend a ton of money. Prefer $200 or less
- Want as minimal damage to the body of my car as possible

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...even if it is a brand/type to steer clear of. Thanks!

#2 ·
My dad has the two bike version of this one on his 5 series:
Saris Bones 801 3-Bike Trunk Mount Rack

Shouldn't cause any damage to the car. Costs about $120 shipped, so right in your range [:)] I have another friend that has a Saris on their Pasat, they are happy with it. Also clears her spoiler with out issue too. My dad only keeps his on when they take the bikes somewhere, so I'm going to assume its not hard putting it on and taking it off (he's in his 60's.)

#3 ·
I had the saris bone 2 rack. and from what i found was that the feet had to be clean and the trunk lid had to be clean or the little dirt and grime could scatch the clear coat. so what i did was bought a yakima roof rack off of craigslist for about 100 bucks, cut it down and found some used bike mounts, in all i think i have about 150 into the entire roof rack and mounts. you could also look around for a hitch mount, i found one on craigslist for 40 dollars and there are always good deals on used hitch mount bike carriers.

#5 ·
bike rack

This is a little more than you want to spend, but I got a trailer hitch installed through U-haul for about $150 (just the hitch, not any of the electrical components, which you don't need for this) and hitch mount bike rack from Costco for about the same price. You might be able to do this for less if you get the hitch mount bike rack used off of Craigslist. You will be able to take the hitch mount bike rack off you car during the non-summer months. If you get a trailer hitch installed, check your owners manual before you actually tow anything, but a bike rack should be fine.

FYI, as least for me, the u-haul price installed was about the same as buying a trailer hitch online from other places with no installation. If you are thinking of going this route, check with a bike store to see if a hitch mount hike rack like a Thule system can accommodate a kid's bike with 20-inch wheels.

#7 ·
For those that have suggested a full roof top rack, there is no way that is going to fit his budget or what he wants to use it for. Bike trays alone are close to $100 each and he'd need three of those. Plus, if he is only planning on transporting bikes a few times a year, the rack is not easy to take on and off, especially with installing three bike trays. Leaving it on year round is only going cost him mpg's.

I have a full rack and picked up most of the parts used (for really good prices) and still have well over $200 counting two bike trays and fairing. Best choice is hitch mount or the style I liked to earlier. If you are worried about the paint where the feet of that style mount to, get some clear bra/paint protective film for the area the feet touch.

The hitch mount style is great if you plan on using the hitch for other things as well otherwise, imo, it becomes an eye sore.

#8 ·
I have an older version of this. It has fully adjustable upper, lower, and bike holding arms to fit any vehicle. I currently use it on my wife's Fusion.

It holds three bikes and does minimal damage for a great price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.