Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Where are the beasts?

4K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  soundFocus 
#1 ·
The first generation has the SVT, RS, and a few V-6/V-8 swaps, the third generation has the ST, so where are all the modded second generation cars, at. I mean really hardcore super awesome more than intake, and exhaust. FSWerks has a pretty decent car, but where are the Fanatics?

#7 ·
Yea but what would be the fun in that. Try thinking outside the eco-box.

First scenario: A v8 muscle car pulls up next to at the light and your really in the racing mode. but your in a four cylinder fwd car. You know your going to lose so why bother.

Next scenario: A focus pulls up next to you at a light your really in the mode to race. The focus looks stock minus some rims and tint, your fwd drive four banger has a intake, and tune so your like "why not". The light turns green and the focus rear drops and pulls away like your standing still and your hear the loud rumble of the V8 and your like WTF where did that come from.

#3 ·
I guess mine is highly modded but not quite as much as PSurivie is. I have all of the items in my sig among other things not listed. I didn't go turbo yet because im still under FORD warranty and that would have completely blew it lol.

Most members of the second gen crowd either can't afford alot of performance mods, or are still babying them or under warranty because their cars are still relatively new.

#4 ·
I would put mine under the "heavily" modified catagory since there isn't much left on mine that came with it. But as far as power goes, I am jut starting out. CAI, cosworth header, full exhaust, and a tune. Want to go turbo but cash is tight, I foresee cams in my near future but it comes down to cash on hand before that.

Part of the issue with "monsters" in the second gen platform is we didn't have a performance model from ford. So we have a LOT of ground to make up in order to become awesome, and that takes a LOT of money and time. Psurive has one of the most beastly 2nd gens on here, love that car!

#8 ·
My car is just a DD bought for the MPGs. I see no point in trying to make my Focus fast. [???:)]

#14 ·
psh, I never thought that, I LOVE my FoFo. While I was on coilovers it was magic! I am trying to push some more powa out of her and have loved just about everything that I have done to it. FoFo is a good modding platform, even if Ford never made anything for it.

#15 ·
PSUrivie if you're talking about power.
other than that, there are plenty of people with some beastly looking cars like the guy above me.

2 well known ones around here were sold. one with a turbo. the other lower than any focus ever imo.

and then there's the fswerks turbo coupe's. a member on FJ, Drama (but it's svt(insert number here)) bought the silver one the made.

they're around, they just don't post often.

#19 ·
I think its worth pointing out that people doing V8 swaps into 2000 Foci have had the time to get parts and troubleshoot and build and fabricate their cars while some of us have only had our 2nd Gens for a year or so.

I don't plan to do anything stupid to mine so don't be on the lookout for a "mac.mogul's build thread" but I'm sure over time once people are paying their 2nd gens off and looking for fun projects, there will be some crazy stuff being made.

#20 ·
theres 2 guys in socal that have theres modded, the first guy is EvanPrecission, and dont know the other guys screen name but I know that he put a cobra engine in his and he is still working on it, he brung it to a meet up one day

as for mine I am still working on it lol still need to gather up money because I am just going to start to do things to it. but I also have a mustang is trying to debate with car to fix up first

#22 ·
Beasts? Yeah a high HP/TQ Focus is pretty sweet, but I think there's is much more to a car than bolting on go fast parts. I saw the TopSpeed Focus at Carlisle last year which has something like 600 HP. I mean that's sweet and all, but the rest of the car was a train wreck.

I have more respect for the guy that has the clean car and modded car that is more complete. By complete I mean it's clean, has a few engine mods, suspension mods, and has added some exterior/interior stuff. To me it's all about the details.

I think the 2nd gen crew definitely has some of the all around nicer cars on FF. Guys like crice8, GO.army.1969, and even though his posts are ignorant 95% of the time, I have to admit that mac.mogul has a really clean ride. The Noobs and especially the 1st Gen crew should look at these guys in the 2nd Gen crowd and take some notes.

#30 ·
I think part of the 1st gen's "tuner" rep too was pure timing. I recall it came out not long before movies like the Fast & The Furious and games like Need for Speed Underground came out, and that style of modification got really big. The second gen came out past that era (at least imo) and that was part of it. I also think the press had something to do with it; I seem to recall them ragging on the second gen a bit for not being as "sporty" as the other one.

That said, I think the second gen SES, with it's suspension package and body parts make it a great a template for mods despite being over looked. It's already got a tasteful take on the "tuner" look thanks to the custom cosmetic parts, so you can focus (no pun intended) more on performance mods which are what really matter.

In terms of "beasts", it's because it's absurd. 2JZ swaps on Toyota sites were always a punchline, and for good reason. Unless you're an engineer, it's not happening. Even if you could do it, putting a big heavy V8 or even V6 in the front of a small car means it might go fast in a straight line but will drive like an over loaded station wagon in the turns. I have respect for people who've done it and done it right, but it's just more trouble than it's worth, not to mention cost. For the same money you could buy a Mustang that will probably handle as well and be close in power. The economy has probably also played a part, with people generally having less money for building dream cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.