Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Looking at getting new Head lights.

3K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  crice8 
#1 ·
#10 ·
No I just take care of them lol. Why pay $300+ for something then not take care of it. All I do to keep them looking new is clean them every now and then with meguiars headlight cleaner then put some meguiars uv headlight protectant on them.

#11 ·
The first question is are you doing this for looks or performance?

Ok... ok. Yes they look nice but your performance is really at a suffering. If you don't drive at night much that's fine because it's more of an appearance mod (they look awesome, I will admit that!)

Retrofitting will cost you about the same price ($270 for a COMPLETE kit) and a day of your time. Now, like i said before if you don't drive at night retrofitting good projectors in is a waste.

I will share some pictures of headlight outputs to give you some more knowledge on the Halogen vs. Eagle Eye with HID vs. Retrofit with HID.

Halogen low(silverstar ultra in my focus)

Halogen high(silverstar ultra in my focus)

Eagle eyes (low only, the are on an impala). I thought the output was going to be awesome as the beams were actually aligned pretty good and had decent cutoffs for the cheap price the impala ones were ($140 shipped with an HID kit or something). It came down to the fact they are not aligned perfect, the cutoff is bad and they are halogen projectors which are very narrow.

Then we backed it away from the garage and it was horrible!

My retrofit
See how focused and wide the beam is compared to the eagle eyes?
low beam 4300k hids

high beam 4300k bulbs

cutoff

completely blue across the top which looks wonderful

And they look wonderful

Hopefully this helps you decide what you want to do! I have a retrofit guide here:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303305

Let me know if you need help!

#12 ·
Well... I want them for appearances really... They look so beautiful... But sadly i do a lot of night driving in winter... Not so much in the summer cause of the longer days. I upgraded to the ultra stars for that fact alone.. So it does suck that these would be my best option... Maybe i could retro fit mine and add in the extra led lighting? Also can some one tell my how the leds are hooked up/ powered?

#14 ·
Yours may be nice but I think they use similar projectors in all the headlights. So you never know what you're getting.

At least The Retrofit Source tunes all their projectors before shipping them out! It's definitely worth the $270 and day of your time. But if you don't feel comfortable go for eagle eyes!

#19 ·
I'm going the eBay route as I hit a lip on my driveway, which pushed the bumper up and broke all the tabs on both of my headlights [facepalm]

After I swap em out, probably toss them up for sale as they are perfect for retro fit testing..

#23 ·
Adjusted via washers, correct?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.