Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Starting new build, need advice.

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Snyper 
#1 ·
I have an 08 I'm gonna start on this weekend and would like some advice. I wanna paint the interior of the car (it's tan I want it black) and was wondering which paint would be best. I've seen people use plastidip and duplicolor vinyl and wanna know if anyone has recommendations? I'm also thinking of painting the "focus" Lettering on the trunk. And finally the chrome plates on the fenders, should I use the same paint or get several types?

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using Tapatalk 2

#7 ·
plastidip is a good option. It does have some texture to it, but how much depends on how well you spray it. that also gives you the option to remove is later if you want a different color or put back to stock. What I have always used for interior painting is Krylon Fusion. It is designed to work on plastic without major prep work (no primer, just clean and paint). This will work on any hard plastic. If you're wanting to paint over the softer material in the car like the armrests, then plastidip will work better for that. Same goes for the outside. Paint or dip will work and each has it's own benefits.

I did krylon on the interior and works great, however on parts that get touched often (around radio, near door handles) it has faded and needs to be redone (keep in mind I just use the paint without any clearcoat over it). the ext I did plastidip black on my spoiler and rear emblems. ran it through a brushed carwash a few hours after spraying and it peeled one corner a little off one of the emblem letters, but the rest was fine (didn't let it set long enough after spraying).

#8 ·
you could go with the duplicor paint i use it to repaint parts on my race quad so i trust it will work for your interior. i have my interior VIN matched and professionaly painted. PLastidip is also a great thing. I looked into doing some of my under hood plastic covers in the 3M carbon fiber wrap. its texrured and forms great with a heat gun. highly recommend doing that, and its removable.

#10 ·
You could always use the plasti dip as a base coat then paint over it with dupli color in black. That way, you won't get the texture that the dip gives you. And even better, if you want a change of color, just peal it right off!

I dipped the console first, then went over with with some regular rattle cans, then a bunch of clear coat. It will look like this:

#11 ·
That green came out pretty good!

I recently used Krylon Fusion for a non-automotive project. Make sure to prep well otherwise it will flake off even though it is designed for plastic. I think Using Plasti-dip as a primer would be a good idea because it really gives you a nice solid base

#12 ·
Thanks! The Plasti-dip as a primer is great. Like you said, gives a solid base. And also allows for the change. Maybe I'll hate the green in 2 months. Peel it off and give it a fresh new color. I wouldn't paint anything in my car without using dip as a primer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.