#5 ·
k&n filter is just under.
make your own short shifter
shift knob
interior painting
taillight tint
plastidip
Hid's
you can do some electrical work for cheap if you know how to do it yourself (my wig-wag lights and ign setup were just a few relays and some wire)

#7 ·
Best thing I've done so far was replace my stock platinum plugs with Autolite 103 copper plugs. Less than $15 [:)]

Redlinegoods.com has leather shift boots that are over $50 with shipping, but well worth it. That was my first mod and I can't even imagine not having them in the car now they fit so well.

For about $25 you can get foam speaker baffles from crutchfield to install behind your stock speakers. It is the cheapest way to improve the sound from the stock sound system.

#17 ·
Nah its super easy. The Zetec I'm sure just had plugs on wires that went to a coil, but the duratec has the coil pack right on the plug. Its not a true coil-on-plug system but it is the next best thing.

You'll need a 10mm socket to take off the coils and I think its a 16mm deep socket to remove the spark plugs.

Make sure the plugs are gapped correctly (0.50-0.55), work when the engine is cold and do not over-torque the spark plugs when you put in the new ones. I'm sure you know to use white lithium grease on the boots and anti-seize on the threads.

#18 ·
lol i honestly didn't go that deep into the class. it was a real joke trying to figure things out. i'm more of a visual learner but i don't think you would want to go out and take pictures of how to do it. but i'll see what i can do. appreciate it.

its the autolite copper core correct?

#19 ·
You can get copper, it's up to you. Copper has the shortest life but gives the best spark.

And honestly, its exactly like I described. The coils are right on top. You take out the 10mm bolts, pop off the coil, and there's your spark plug down inside. Super simple.

Changing these spark plugs could take a person less than 10 minutes if they were in a hurry. I'm really pleased with the layout of the duratec because changing plugs on my Mustang was a nightmare that always ended in blood and swearing.

#20 ·
i only ask cause it just says "copper core" on the site. but you called it something else lol. if it's proved on a focus and it gives more performance i want the same haha

and alright i'll give it a try, just need a spark plug gapper and a torque wrench...and an extension?

#28 ·
What do you mean black box ? You pull up on the shifter boot (towards the front of the car at the part closest to the cup holders) and it's a rod the goes towards the front of the car, it sits about halfway up the shifter stalk. There's a phillips screw you loosen and just pull up on the shifter rod.

#30 ·
not if you have power tools to cut it. removing from the car is fairly quick and painless. just have to be carefull cutting it and threading it. oh, and you'll also have to trim the plastic tube on the underside of the shift boot as well.

#32 ·
yeah, you just unscrew2 the shift knob, and lift up the center trim around the shifter. and i believe there are 4 screws to release the holding plate. then a couple screw or clips (can't remember exactly) to undo the links and you're good.

#34 ·
yea, but you can't move it too far up or else it doesn't work. you'll realize it when you do it. annoying thing about the mod is that it takes a little bit more effort to get the car into gear. well at least where i left it anyways. i wish i could angle my shifter more than shorten it. i don't really see the point in shortening it. feels the same to me. but if you can do it without buying a 120 stick then by all means go for it!

o and just did the spark plug switch that Mac suggested. I would totally recommend it. woke my car up and idles better than before. there are even dyno graphs that prove the hp gain so really you can't go wrong. plus it only cost me $12 would have been $7 but i needed to buy a spark plug gapper and anti seize

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.