Focus Fanatics Forum banner

After this how-to would you consider upgrading your horns?

How to: Sickspeed Horn Installation

29K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  AtodaZ 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

As promised (even if late) I am doing my write up on my Sick Speed Horn installation. So without further delay, here we go!
Here is what you are going to be using:

Untitled by DarderSauce, on Flickr

- Sick Speed horns (durp)
- A multimeter is helpful but not a must
- Solder Gun (with solder)
- 12 Gauge wire
- Relay Switch
- Fuse for 30 Amp fuse
- 30 amp fuses (ATC)
- Female Spades
Not Pictured
- Heat Shrink
- Ring Terminals

First you are going to want to pop your hood and UNPLUG YOUR NEGATIVE BATTERY TERMINAL. Next remove your grille, here are the four clips that hold the grille on. Once they are off just pull out (wink).

Grille by DarderSauce, on Flickr

Once that is off you can get started. Cut into the wiring harness up near the battery, you are looking for the purple and green wire, this is your power.

Cut this wire up by the battery. Try leaving yourself enough slack so you can mount your relay in a spot that is going to stay out of harm’s way. Here is where I ended up mounting mine.

Now you are going to want to put a female spade end on your purple and green power wire and plug it into pin #86 on the relay.
[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*PRO TIP[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]* SickSpeeds wiring diagram is WRONG, they have the power wire from the stock horn going into pin 87. If you follow their instructions you won’t get da beep!

Wiring Diagram by DarderSauce, on Flickr

So again, stick the power wire from your stock horn in pin #86.

Next you are going to hook your fuse up to the positive end on your battery terminal. Put a ring terminal on one end of the fuse, and a female spade on the other.

You may need to solder in another piece of wire to the fuse wiring in order to get the spade end to reach the relay. This is what I did, don’t forget the heat shrink!

Plug the female spade into pin #30 on the relay.

Use your 12 gauge wire and add a ring terminal to one end, and a female spade to the other. This is going to be your ground wire so make it long enough to reach from your ground to your relay. Here is where I mounted my ground wire (not the best pic).

Ground by DarderSauce, on Flickr

Plug your ground wire into pin 85 on your relay.

Now you are going to be running your long length of wire that is going from pin 87 to the horns you are going to mount. This is where you are going to solder in the split to go to horn number 2. Again, HEAT SHRINK!!! Each end should have a female end on it, this is going to be plugged into the horn pins.

When you are plugging the power wire into the horn spades, just put it in either one it doesn’t matter. Here is what it’s going to look like.

Dicks by DarderSauce, on Flickr

The other wire you see is your ground wire. Each one of has a ring terminal and female spade end. Plug the female spade into the other pin on your horn and put the ring terminal behind your mounting bolt.
After you do this for both sides you are done!!!!

Final product with grille in:

Here is what she sounds like:
Clicky!

Sorry if the write up sucks but let me know if you have any questions

Thanks for looking!

See less See more
#14 ·
The only thing that is truly dissapointing when it comes to this mod is no one pulls out in front of me anymore [:(]

When I didn't have a horn people pulled out in front of me all the time. Besides testing it, I haven't got to use it once.

[rofl] The first time I honked my horn from inside the car I was disappointed because it sounded SUPER WEAK. But then when I stood in front of the car and someone honked it for me I was like [ohcrap] that's loud!

These horns sound quiter from inside the car than the stock horn did.... [scratch] how does that work?

#17 ·
These horns sound quiter from inside the car than the stock horn did.... [scratch] how does that work?
These horns are facing outward at the front of the vehicle. The factory horn is placed inside of the bumper/fender area and faces downward. The factory horn reverberates into the cabin while the front mounted horns project directly outward.

Great write-up btw. I'll definitely be using this.

#15 ·
well ill have no trouble with that ppl dont know how to drive around here any how lol...and its pb how there designed they project the sound forward and most of the sound you hear will be in front IMO i think this is how it works like a bull horn for example pretty much same thing no to loud from the back but hell loud enough up front lol

#16 ·
I would like to note that you NEED TO MAKE SURE YOU GRAB THE RIGHT HARNESS! I was an idiot and was in a hurry whilst installing these horns and thinking I grabbed the correct harness I pulled it open and snipped the purple/green wire. Spliced it in and tried it....nothing. Just the stock horn. Took a closer look and it happened to be the harness next to the one leading to the horn; and guess what has the exact same wire...THE FRONT AIRBAG SENSOR. I patched it back together and found the correct wire/harness and got it all working right, but needless to say I was scared for my life when starting the car up. So FYI, don'e be me(an idiot) and take your time to make sure it's right. That way you don't have to make a post requiring lots of unnecessary capitalization.

-PowerFocer

#19 ·
I see a lot more negative reviews for the sickspeed horns than the hellas, but I think the main difference is the frequencies. Hella Supertones are pretty high pitched and some of the knock-off style horns are lower pitched.

#22 ·
Not to bring this back from the dead, but this is what you can expect the horns to look like after ~3 years of MN winters:

https://goo.gl/photos/2xY1GvbuJoVWXjtW8

https://goo.gl/photos/KjWpbg2GvCE3HgKS6

https://goo.gl/photos/Eiekg7PiCGMPwBcR7

https://goo.gl/photos/VxiXQGiZ7yj8yNSJA

https://goo.gl/photos/kaG9t66S39CKTNR7A

I was planning on repainting the metal covers, but after seeing all the damage I think I'm going to replace them. Not sure if I want to go back to sickspeed or try another brand. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.