cutting the lunch box off - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Second Generation > MK2 Focus

MK2 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the second generation 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 03:42 AM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 95568
What I Drive: 2009 Sterling Grey Metallic SE

Points 262, Level 5
Points: 262, Level: 5 Points: 262, Level: 5 Points: 262, Level: 5
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 nickfantastia Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
cutting the lunch box off

So I went to a exhaust place yesterday to get my lunch box cut off the guys at the place didn't want to said it wouldn't pass inspection and that it was the muffler so he wouldn't do it. Is it a waste of money or worth what gains do i get and is the sound good? He also said it would give me less gas mileage. Is this true? Just wondering

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2012, 04:26 AM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89955
What I Drive: 08 Black SES Coupe Mtx

FF Reputation: 1 klrfoucs Good Standing Member
is your car pzev? removing mine did make it a bit louder. it shouldnt hurt mileage and it will pass inspection... u cannot remove cats atleast in CA its alright to remove resonators as long as it is not way to loud which it wont be. if u are looking to get a better sound out of it for cheap id also remove the resonator directly below the door in the center underneath now if your car is pzev that is a cat not a resonator mine is pzev but i deleted it anyways simply by cutting it out and slipping a piece of pipe in its place and welding it up and swapped out the muffler with a 6"x22" magnaflow muffler and it sounds really good not ricer at all but has a good tone to it.
2dr Mtx SES#037
Old 04-27-2012, 04:44 AM   #3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 262, Level 5
Level Up 24% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Im not 100% sure my car is a pzev but it does have the lifetime airfilter or box whatever you want to call it I want it to have a better tone right now you can't hear nothing and it sucks lol. I talk to another shop and they said they would do it for 80 bucks which I think is crazy because all they are doing is replacing it with a pipe. I have a welder at my house but can't weld for crap so im not even gonna attempt it my self. Im just kinda stuck I want better sound but don't want to pay a arm and a leg to do it and I don't want any negative affects to happen also.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:57 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

im pretty sure it is a pzev then i think the lifetime airfilters only came on them not 100% on that tho on my driver window there was a little round sticker in the bottom left corner, another way to tell is if u get under it and either infront of the tank look at the fuel filter and if there is to inlets and 1 outlet, or behind the tank bolted to the car tucked behind a few things is a black box with fuel line running to it that says pzev, but deleting the rear most resonator will help i very little amount on sound in my opinion it didnt do to much but i like my car loud and plan to do a 4 to 1 with fswerks race exhaust in the near future. but back on topic if u remove the resonator and find a muffler from someone or somewhere actually on the 2nd gen thread crice8 is selling one in a few weeks i think we where having the same chat about exhaust. i paid i think 100 bucks for mine new and put it in myself im not the best welder myself but it is under the car so in my opinion doesnt have to look so pretty to function but my car was that way for awhile with second cat magna and it sounded good drove it that way for about a yr then decided to cut out my second cat after looking at the fswerks kit that deletes it as well so i figured ill do it and throw it back in for smog down the road. and also on the lifetime airfilter set up if u have mechanical skills not saying u dont.. u do have a welder lol but if u put the car on jackstands pull the driver side tire off and pull all the stupid push in screw things out to get the inner fender out u can remove it and that removes about 3 or 4 lbs and by putting a cone filter on the end of the tube running down it also helps with sound just intake sound instead thats what i did to my car. is your car atx or mtx? let me know if u want pics of the intake or exhaust in the morning i can post them none of it should hurt your car at all
2dr Mtx SES#037
Old 04-27-2012, 05:38 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

another thing u could do is just cut the box off yourself and not run it out just leave it cut off right past the rear subframe which would make it seem louder i dont know if your rear bumper has the cut out for the tip though
2dr Mtx SES#037
Old 04-27-2012, 07:29 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 69155
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red Focus SE

Points 210, Level 4
Points: 210, Level: 4 Points: 210, Level: 4 Points: 210, Level: 4
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 jimfocus Good Standing Member
One thing I've done in the past is just measure the length & diameter of the muffler, cat, or resonator your removing and have a (muffler) shop cut a piece of pipe with the ends expanded to fit. That way they are not involved in the actual removal of emission related parts.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95564
What I Drive: '08 Vermillion Red 5 speed SEdan

Points 4,394, Level 42
Points: 4,394, Level: 42 Points: 4,394, Level: 42 Points: 4,394, Level: 42
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 5 DarderSauce Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
The spelling and grammer in this thread is atrocious.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:52 AM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90927
What I Drive: 2005 Sonic Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 SonicZXIII Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Its best to remove it and replace it with pipe

Rolling in a 2005 ZX3 Roush SVT combo

"When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new GF.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:15 AM   #9
Boosted HB.

Fan#: 84306
What I Drive: 2013 TB ST

Points 6,542, Level 52
Points: 6,542, Level: 52 Points: 6,542, Level: 52 Points: 6,542, Level: 52
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 20 Slammed_2.0 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
when i did my lunchbox delete, I was in germany and their inspection is worse than California. It passed and it made the car note slightly louder. IMHO, its not worth it. Save up about 400 and you can get a complete exhaust
Old 04-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #10
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 262, Level 5
Level Up 24% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
what does atx or mtx mean? if i could guess i think you are asking if its an automatic and it is. if not lol i can answer that when i figure it out later. if you want to post some pics and give me more ideas that would be awesome. that guy at the shop kinda killed me when he said he wouldnt do it and do you think 80 dollars is to much to get it done at that other place that said they would do it. ill have to figure something out tho i def want a better sound then it has now. not to change the subject but in a week or so im going to be putting the h&r springs and plast-diping my wheels and chrome grill cant wait. thanks for all the info guys

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.