'08 Headlight Retrofit - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Second Generation > MK2 Focus

MK2 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the second generation 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88110
What I Drive: 2008 Vista Blue SES Coupe

Points 969, Level 16
Points: 969, Level: 16 Points: 969, Level: 16 Points: 969, Level: 16
Level Up 69% Completed
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 4 gtferrari Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
'08 Headlight Retrofit

well my light kit from TRS arrived the other day. i ordered a set of mini D2s projectors with apollo shrouds, 55 watt ballasts, and 5000K bulbs.

i didnt order any halo rings because later i will be making my own turn signals that follow the lines of the housing. just waiting on my leds to arrive.

first things first. i will tell you that at points the retrofitting can get a little frustrating. the total time for the retrofit was +6 hours so its best to do this on your day off.

step1. remove the grille from the car. there are 4 plastic puch pins. remove these and set aside. lift the upper porting of the grille up. there are 2 locating pins on the under side. inset a flat blade screw driver under the black mesh portion of the grill against the bumper about 8 inches from the sides. there is a plastic clip that is holding on to the edge of the bumper. gently pry or twist the screw driver to release the grille.

step2. remove the headlights. using a 10mm socket remove the 3 screws holding the assembly down. now gently wiggle and lift the housing out and disconect the bulbs.

step3. bake. remove the rubber boot from the rear of the housing that seals the reflector bowl to the housing. preheat your oven to 250ish degrees F. this will vary depending on electric or gas, and bake for 6 or so minutes. using a flat blade screw driver or 5way scraper start to pry and seperate the housing. i would say it is best to start at the blinker end first.

my car was an early production car and i found that there was quite an extra bit of sealant holding my housings together. no amount of baking and heat gunning seemed to work so it took a little brute stength to rip the housing apart. i would have to say i spent about 1.5 hours apiece. those you tube videos make it look like all of 10 mins. seperating the housing is the hardest part and everything after that is a cake walk.

step4. part it out. once the housing is seperated you will find 2 screws holding the bezel in place at the bottom of the lens. these are torx screws. remove them and pull the bezel out.

mark the edge of the bezel for the blinker assembly on the chrome wings with a permanent marker before also removing it. there are 2 more torx screws. this is done because the wings bisect the light beam and will ruin your low beam performance and create a black hole infront of your car while driving. also remove the bulb shroud from the reflector bowl. 1 torx screw. toss it or save it as a momento.

step5. cut it up. using a rotory cut off wheel cut the wings from the bezel. how much you want to take off is up to you. i went flush with the housing on the outside and left enough to support the blinker lense. yes this will leave visible greyish plastic. you can sand this down later and paint over it or send it off to be rechromed. $$$

for the D2s projector to fit the housing to where you can tighten it on you will need to enlarg the bulb hole by almost 10mm. grab a sanding drum attachment for your rotary tool. you will notice there are 2 ringson the back of the reflector bowl. the inside one you will be removing and enlargening until it touches the larger outside one. test fit the projector as you go. different styles of projectors need different size holes.

with the D2S you will notice that once the hole has been made large enough to except it that there will be very little thread showing. you will need to trim down the neck of the the ring on the bowl to where it is flush with the bowl. try to leave a flat surface that is also perpendicular so that the projecot r fits right and you will have a straight lilght beam. this should be the only modification to the bowl that you will need to make.

this cutting and sanding creates a lot of fine dust so blow it out and wash it off.

step6. paint. you may choose to leave the reflector chrome as the projector will fit snugly into it and the shroud will make a nice tight fit all the way around. but if you choose to paint the bowl you will first need to sand it down. any exposed chrome and the paint will not stick and bubble up. use 400-600 grit to avoid deep scratches.

this also goes for the bezel. i chose to paint mine black but i did not want to ruin the performance of the side reflector. so just pop that out. mask it off and place it back into its spot. this will protect the chrome underneath it.

i used duplicolor primer first. apply light coatings and build them up evenly. allow this to dry for at least a hour before following up with your color coat. i used duplicolor gloss black. follow the same steps as before. now mine didnt turn out gloss black but more of a matte. you may choose to follow this up after drying with a clear acrylic.

pop out the orange reflector and pull off the masking tape then place it back into its spot.

step7. projector assembly. unscrew all of the rings and nuts from the projector leaving only the silicone crush ring in place and feed the projector in from the front. now slide the thin indexed washer with on first followed by the large black o-ring. now tighted the lock ring on next. make sure this is tight so that the projector doesnt rotate later ascewing your beam. but not too tight as to crack the housing.

place the shroud onto the projector. modifcation may be necessary to clear the bottom of the reflector.

screw the lens' and bezel back together. if you plan on reusing the factory sealant preheat the oven and rebake the rear housing. if not and you purchased an epoxy or the butyl rubber adhesive from TRS just apply those and clamp the 2 back together.

step8. clean the bulbs. using the alcohol pads clean the bulbs. this did leae a residue and spots behind on mine so using a polishing cloth i removed them.

it may be a good idea to hook up the bulbs and ballast ouside of the housing and turn them on to cook off any other reisdue. i did this and was suprised to see the bulbs smoke for a few minutes. just give them another wipe down with the polishing cloth to remove and dust from the smoke then place them into the prjectors.

step9. remount the housings and aim your beams. reverse procedure of step 1. pull your vehicle onto a flat surface 25ft away from a wall or building. measure from the ground to the dot located on the lense cover and measure where the light beam hits the wall. you can make this the same distance or if you are worried that you will get a ticket you can dip the headlights 2 inches. you will find that the weight of the projectors have pulled the reflectors down. you will probally need to crank your lights all the way up to correct this.

photos to be posted soon if i can ever figure out how to make them appear and not get a red X

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #2
Focus Addict

Points 969, Level 16
Level Up 69% Completed
Forum Activity 1%

before triming

after triming

i wasnt able to finish before i had to go to work

test fit then assemble

side view

front view
Old 08-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
Focus Addict

Points 969, Level 16
Level Up 69% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
i dont know what goes wrong but here is the link to flcikr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65735427@N08/
Old 08-06-2011, 02:35 PM   #4
Boosted HB.

Fan#: 84306
What I Drive: 2013 TB ST

Points 6,542, Level 52
Points: 6,542, Level: 52 Points: 6,542, Level: 52 Points: 6,542, Level: 52
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 20 Slammed_2.0 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
to post pics. just copy the Image URL and click on the "mountain" image on the message box, paste URL and bam! you have a picture..

I noticed you had to do a little more trimming than mine. Its great to see another good retrofit!

Take some nigh shots and lets compare Cutoff lines!!
Old 08-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #5
Focus Addict

Points 969, Level 16
Level Up 69% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
I have tried photbucket flickr facebook and uploading them directly. Everytime a red x

But I got some sweet cut offs. Blues and purples on the low, and yellow and red on the highs

Rep Points dont add themselves
Old 08-06-2011, 03:56 PM   #6
Focus Addict

Points 969, Level 16
Level Up 69% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
I have tried photbucket flickr facebook and uploading them directly. Everytime a red x

But I got some sweet cut offs. Blues and purples on the low, and yellow and red on the highs

Old 08-06-2011, 04:57 PM   #7
Boosted HB.

Points 6,542, Level 52
Level Up 96% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
My MH1 produce a yellow, blue, purple, and red at low and Yellow n red at high. Buddy Told me last night that everytime i hit a bump he saw the color flicker. He loved it.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:36 PM   #8
Focus Addict

Points 969, Level 16
Level Up 69% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
yah my friend thought he would be able to stare into the beam and see the shift. He was such a fool. He thought they were projectors from an overhead unit you find in ahouse or business. Wanted me to make it spell stuff and wanted to know if they could show movies.....

Old 08-06-2011, 06:15 PM   #9
Boosted HB.

Points 6,542, Level 52
Level Up 96% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtferrari View Post
yah my friend thought he would be able to stare into the beam and see the shift. He was such a fool. He thought they were projectors from an overhead unit you find in ahouse or business. Wanted me to make it spell stuff and wanted to know if they could show movies.....
LOL.. No offense, ur friend is a retard. haha
Old 08-06-2011, 06:18 PM   #10
Focus Addict

Points 969, Level 16
Level Up 69% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
And now he is blind.........ish

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.