Need Advice - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Second Generation > MK2 Focus

MK2 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the second generation 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2011, 12:01 AM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85117
What I Drive: 2011 Black Ford Focus 4 Door SEL

FF Reputation: 1 cwitcher Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Need Advice

Hey guys! I hope this post finds everyone doing well! My name is Cara and I'm new to the car modification scene. On 1.1.11, yup, that was the first of this year, I purchased a new black 2011 Ford Focus 4 Door SEL with black leather interior.

I've done so much online research but I feel as if I'm not getting very far with direct information. Any advice (where I can find info, where I can find items to purchase, how to save money, best price ranges, or just general advice) you guys could offer would be awesome! I'm looking to modify the following:

1. Tint the windows - As dark as you can go before being illegal, plus the windshield strip (How dark can you go before risking a chance of getting a ticket?)

2. Install black rims plus tires - Haven't decided which ones yet
(What size should I go with? 18"? What type of tires should I get?)

3. Install and paint a body kit - Haven't decided which one yet
(I have seen maybe two kits for the 2011 Ford Focus 4 Door. Surely there is something else out there right? Where can I find them online?)

4. Paint various chrome parts of my car black - Ex. chrome between headlights, chrome on mirrors, chrome door handles - See picture below
http://www.netguruonline.com/wp-cont...-Focus-SEL.jpg...
(Are those all things that can be painted, or do I have to order new parts to be painted?)

5. Blacking out the taillights - Something like picture below
http://bredenforged.files.wordpress..../08/cls-41.jpg
(I have no idea how this is done, if I need to order new taillights, if they are tinted with paint or film?)

6. Blacking out the Ford emblems - Please see both pictures below
Original: http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...frontstock.jpg
Black: http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...frontblack.jpg
(I read one way of doing this online is to purchase an overlay like the picture above, is that the best way?

Last edited by cwitcher; 04-22-2011 at 06:49 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2011, 12:10 AM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84965
What I Drive: 1995, White, Chrysler New Yorker

FF Reputation: 1 ryuclan Good Standing Member
Welcome to FF and to answer a couple of your questions.

Tint- Tint is VERY different state to state. Some states don't allow the frond windows to be tinted at all, and most have laws regulating the darkness of your tint.

Wheels- Bigger the rims, the lower the profile the tires need to be (unless you lift the car) low profile tires are friggin expensive. You can buy rims and paint them black for a different look or just buy them that way.

I wouldn't paint the chrome parts, the paint probably won't stick to them very well without a lot of prep work.

You can use a special kind of spray paint to tint you tail lights. It's called Nite-Shade, BUT do not put more than two coats on...
Old 04-22-2011, 07:44 AM   #3
Captain Retard

Fan#: 55980
What I Drive: 2002 Black SVT ZX3,93 SVT Lightning

Points 5,495, Level 47
Points: 5,495, Level: 47 Points: 5,495, Level: 47 Points: 5,495, Level: 47
Level Up 73% Completed
Level up: 73% Level up: 73% Level up: 73%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 20 Missourileo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Welcome to Focusfanatics!!!!
Maybe I can help you answer some questions.......
1. http://www.georgia.gov/00/article/0,...939592,00.html

2. This is totally up to you, but 17" wheels are readily available here. You can find a set used with tires reasonably. 17" EAP wheels look sexy on those. 18's might rub, not sure though. As for tires, do a little searching on here and you'll find tons of useless info on tires.

3. Not sure on this, but we do have a thread on it if you look at the how to archive.

4. You can paint the chrome, you need to scuff up the chrome and use self etching primer in order to bond the paint to the chrome.

5. http://www.lamin-x.com/Ford-Focus-20...2011-s/316.htm

6. Not sure on this, but if the grill is blacked out, then why do the oval?

Hope this points you in the right direction. You are close to Kentucky as well, you going to Focusfest2011? I highly recommend it, great folks and a really good time.
Midwest crew #36
Hatch Nation#50
January 2010 ROTM
Old 04-22-2011, 09:45 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 66872
What I Drive: 2000 Twilight Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 bassmasta682 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
For #6, go to this website, scroll down a little and you can find various customizable emblem overlays for you car. Just make sure you order overlays for a 2011 focus. There are even more customizing options you can chose such as color when you find the one you like. I have the FR emblem overlays on my car; grey background, orange writing.

Welcome to FF!
Rally Revolution #32
Current Modifications:
K&N Cone
Eibach Pro Kit
SVT Header waiting to be installed with custom exhaust
Old 04-22-2011, 06:51 PM   #5
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85117
What I Drive: 2011 Black Ford Focus 4 Door SEL

FF Reputation: 1 cwitcher Good Standing Member
Hey you guys! Thanks so much for your advice!
Old 04-22-2011, 06:52 PM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62350
What I Drive: 2003 eap svt

Points 10,917, Level 69
Points: 10,917, Level: 69 Points: 10,917, Level: 69 Points: 10,917, Level: 69
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 57%
Activity: 57% Activity: 57% Activity: 57%
FF Reputation: 5 pasta Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
tint is illegal on front door no matter the shade back is ok if you decide to tint anyway i wouldnt go darker than 30 on door the cops in ny wrote me for both front doors 120 each window scumbags
Old 04-22-2011, 07:26 PM   #7
Rhinoliner!!!

Fan#: 66551
What I Drive: 03 Rhinoliner'd ZX3 AdvanceTrac

Points 16,453, Level 82
Points: 16,453, Level: 82 Points: 16,453, Level: 82 Points: 16,453, Level: 82
Level Up 21% Completed
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 9 UnbridledCarnage Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasta View Post
tint is illegal on front door no matter the shade back is ok if you decide to tint anyway i wouldnt go darker than 30 on door the cops in ny wrote me for both front doors 120 each window scumbags
i have 5% all around and have never had a single issue, been pulled over with the tint, nothing said. im about to throw 35% on the front with a 2.5 banner. tint just depends state by state. and even city by city with how much the cops give a shit in that town
Old 04-23-2011, 11:22 PM   #8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39405
What I Drive: 2007 TorD-Red ZX5 SES

Points 12,348, Level 72
Points: 12,348, Level: 72 Points: 12,348, Level: 72 Points: 12,348, Level: 72
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 77 S0C0nFused Excellent Standing Member
For local, check you state laws (something like DMV.GA.GOV?). Missouri has legal tint levels posted online, I assume GA would as well. If not, then call your highway patrol and they should be able to tell you what is legal for GA.

Wheels and Tires. Wheel fitment is more nuanced. It depends on not only the size of the wheel, if the car is or will be lowered, but also the offset as to whether you can ride without rubbing. Also, If you run 18" wheels, then your performance is going to suffer (takes more HP to get all the metal spinning). For street cars, 17" is about as big as you want to go. I run 16" just so I have enough sidewall to handle potholes without blowing a tire (that's just me though. Not a recommendation). P.S. Note: The outside diameter of the tire does not change much. Hence, the bigger the wheel, the less sidewall on the tire. Just FYI.

Chrome: You cannot blacken chrome. You can paint successfully WITH a lot of work. Chrome has a very tight molecular order (hence why it shines and lasts). Thus, you have to either create a bondable surface (sanding), change it chemically (very tricky, stinky and somewhat dangerous. Only prof should attempt), or you can encapsulate it. Anything other than chemical is iffy. But, now days, many of the chrome parts are actually plastic, with a plasticized chrome overlay (not real chrome in other words). For these, a light sanding then application of plastic primer should get you to a paint-able surface.

emblems: Overlay. Reason > The OEM emblem is actually a gel (vs. the hard plastic type used on older ford trucks). So basically, you cannot take it apart to paint. Overlay's don't look bad though. They lack the somewhat 3D effect of the original, but you can only see that within a few feet (at best).
Last of the Hatches #28

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.