35W Hid Fogs? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Second Generation > MK2 Focus

MK2 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the second generation 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2010, 10:55 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 66631
What I Drive: '08 Vista Blue SE Coupe

FF Reputation: 5 LTL0540 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
35W Hid Fogs?

I know our fog lights are rated at 55W, but is there any problem with under-lamping and running a 35W Hid kit in there?

Will it negatively affect the ballast/bulbs/harness?
Thanks!

Maybe I'm not searching properly, but I couldnt find a thread on this. Sorry if its a repost.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2010, 11:34 PM   #2
Registered

Fan#: 55603
What I Drive: White N Gold 2001 Sedan

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Well if your putting a whole HID kit into the car then no there is no problem. That what the ballast is for.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2010, 03:37 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 74375
What I Drive: 2006 Pitch Black ST w/SAP

FF Reputation: 3 303ST Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (-1)
^^ Wrong.

The ballast is used in the igniting of the HID. Being that it takes such a LARGE amount of energy to do so THAT'S what the ballast is for and then used to regulate the power running to the HID.

However running a lower wattage HID setup will not hurt you. Nor should you be worried about that. I's the iginiting of the kit that worries most people.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
Focus Addict

Fan#: 63859
What I Drive: 2008 Silver SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 SlateTheGreat Good Standing Member
Hey on the 2008 sedans, the headlights draw 55w stock correct? I want to put a 55w hid kit in and need to make sure i dont need anything extra
Old 04-25-2010, 01:45 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 66631
What I Drive: '08 Vista Blue SE Coupe

FF Reputation: 5 LTL0540 Good Standing Member
I was worried about the 55W kit being too bright or melting the fogs.
more so the brightness issue for me :P
Old 04-25-2010, 03:40 PM   #6
Flat Black King

Fan#: 51243
What I Drive: 2001 Chevy Silverado

Points 14,335, Level 77
Points: 14,335, Level: 77 Points: 14,335, Level: 77 Points: 14,335, Level: 77
Level Up 72% Completed
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 30 FocusFreak09 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
i dont think the hids will melt the fog light housings seeing as i have had my hids in my fogs for quite some time now and havent had that proble,
Old 04-25-2010, 04:03 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlateTheGreat View Post
Hey on the 2008 sedans, the headlights draw 55w stock correct? I want to put a 55w hid kit in and need to make sure i dont need anything extra
Some cars you would require a relay harness setup. 2003 jeep's are notorius for this. You will not need anything "extra" persay, a set of casper shields would be nice for the rest of traffic however that's all in personal choice.

These headlights are pretty basic. Plug and play i have done 3 for people on know.

As for the melting issue? The kelvin of your HID setup is your temp of your LIGHT, and your wattage basis is going to tell you if they will cause trouble.

Honestly 55w HID's are overkill, no matter what K you buy typically they will all look the same, and if you are going to be running HID heads and fogs, you should probably stick with 55w heads and 35 fogs.

I can't see the benefit myself of going with anything other then a 4000k, preferably a 3000k fog HID. While they look cool matched, fogs are designed for a purpose. And no matter what light you stick in it will not match the light color of your headlights. Use silverstars for example. Put them in both? and your fogs look a tad more yellow.

Anyways, you won't and honestly should not run into an issue of them melting the fogs. Why? Because they run damn near close to the temperature of the factory bulbs.

However, the only issue i have seen arise is that HID's bulb style can be a tad longer then that of your factory bulbs in some cases be it the seating or what have you.

Make sure when you install them the clearances all check out and such. Then you should be fine.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:30 PM   #8
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303ST View Post
Some cars you would require a relay harness setup. 2003 jeep's are notorius for this. You will not need anything "extra" persay, a set of casper shields would be nice for the rest of traffic however that's all in personal choice.

These headlights are pretty basic. Plug and play i have done 3 for people on know.

As for the melting issue? The kelvin of your HID setup is your temp of your LIGHT, and your wattage basis is going to tell you if they will cause trouble.

Honestly 55w HID's are overkill, no matter what K you buy typically they will all look the same, and if you are going to be running HID heads and fogs, you should probably stick with 55w heads and 35 fogs.

I can't see the benefit myself of going with anything other then a 4000k, preferably a 3000k fog HID. While they look cool matched, fogs are designed for a purpose. And no matter what light you stick in it will not match the light color of your headlights. Use silverstars for example. Put them in both? and your fogs look a tad more yellow.

Anyways, you won't and honestly should not run into an issue of them melting the fogs. Why? Because they run damn near close to the temperature of the factory bulbs.

However, the only issue i have seen arise is that HID's bulb style can be a tad longer then that of your factory bulbs in some cases be it the seating or what have you.

Make sure when you install them the clearances all check out and such. Then you should be fine.

I have projectors so the shield part is taken care of. I was making sure that 55w hid's won't overload my stock electrics in a 2008 sedan. I don't have fogs either.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:50 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

The factory single beam bulbs ARE 55 watt, when switched to the high beams they are running 65w. Just a small point of reference for you.

; )
Old 04-26-2010, 11:23 AM   #10
Focus Addict

Why thank you :) all I was looking for.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.