Is a spoiler or wing any benefit? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Second Generation > MK2 Focus

MK2 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the second generation 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2009, 02:15 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 67836
What I Drive: 09 Vista Blue SE Sedan & 99 Tracker

FF Reputation: 8 calvin1234 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Is a spoiler or wing any benefit?

Is a spoiler or wing any benefit at legal speeds or is it strictly a cosmetic thing unless you reach higher speeds? If it is a benefit at legal speeds how much does it affect MPG?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2009, 02:21 PM   #2
MyCarBreaksAlot

Fan#: 18957
What I Drive: 2002 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 69 Dcl2049 Excellent Standing Member
Spoilers will reduce a little aft turbulence which = greater speed stability and better aerodynamics. Practically speaking it's not much but it's there. Wings are primarily for downforce and negligible at highway speeds. Unless you have as much wing area as a Lotus Exige which I believe generates 100 lbs of downforce at 100 mph. But you also need to know the wing is only part of that equation since that car was designed with several vents redirecting air over the car to create that much force.
Dan - gumpcrew #4
[BBS][Borla][Focus Central][Hella][K&N][Koni][Lentech][Wings West]
#23 STS Wiregrass Region SCCA
Old 08-25-2009, 02:33 PM   #3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 68669
What I Drive: 1999 Mazda miata

FF Reputation: 1 ReInvention Good Standing Member
Hi calvin,
This isn't a direct answer to your question, *disclaimer* I don't know enough physics to give you an absolute accurate/appropriate response here. I think it needs to be a certain height or exposed to flowing air to effectively be "pushed" creating down force. However, I had come across an article a few years ago about a toyota prius which was able to increase it's fuel efficiency by 5 mpg on freeway travel at speeds over 65 mph i believe it was. This was done by reducing lift under the front end of the car by using cardboard to make a template, then cutting out that shape with abs plastic and attaching it essentially as far back as to the front wheels. In front of the wheels they had also put little deflectors to reduce drag.

I actually have the article in a zip file some where on my computer along with a bunch of other aerodynamics articles relating to cars and racing. If you'd like, i could email it to ya for more reading.

I had wanted to do this with my miata, even if just for increasing my mpg (along with skinnier side mirrors.. at 80 mph this starts to make a difference of frontal area drag (?)) however I got too lazy, i am worried about getting the proper cooling to the front of the car, thus requiring i get a thermal sensor and barometer to measure temperature and air density while driving both with and without the piece. I think by doing so and perhaps some relief cuts in the hood to direct the air pressure in a desirable way (maybe to compensate for the lack of air flow underneath the car, you can obtain it on top?) but again, this would require a good amount of measuring both outside and inside the hood.

But don't just take my word for it, look at plenty of race cars and you'll see flat underbodies with specific cut outs and lots of holes, cuts and wings on top of the car

-Colin
Old 08-25-2009, 03:07 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcl2049 View Post
Spoilers will reduce a little aft turbulence which = greater speed stability and better aerodynamics. Practically speaking it's not much but it's there. Wings are primarily for downforce and negligible at highway speeds. Unless you have as much wing area as a Lotus Exige which I believe generates 100 lbs of downforce at 100 mph. But you also need to know the wing is only part of that equation since that car was designed with several vents redirecting air over the car to create that much force.
Thanks! that's what I thought.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:12 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReInvention View Post
Hi calvin,
This isn't a direct answer to your question, *disclaimer* I don't know enough physics to give you an absolute accurate/appropriate response here. I think it needs to be a certain height or exposed to flowing air to effectively be "pushed" creating down force. However, I had come across an article a few years ago about a toyota prius which was able to increase it's fuel efficiency by 5 mpg on freeway travel at speeds over 65 mph i believe it was. This was done by reducing lift under the front end of the car by using cardboard to make a template, then cutting out that shape with abs plastic and attaching it essentially as far back as to the front wheels. In front of the wheels they had also put little deflectors to reduce drag.

I actually have the article in a zip file some where on my computer along with a bunch of other aerodynamics articles relating to cars and racing. If you'd like, i could email it to ya for more reading.

I had wanted to do this with my miata, even if just for increasing my mpg (along with skinnier side mirrors.. at 80 mph this starts to make a difference of frontal area drag (?)) however I got too lazy, i am worried about getting the proper cooling to the front of the car, thus requiring i get a thermal sensor and barometer to measure temperature and air density while driving both with and without the piece. I think by doing so and perhaps some relief cuts in the hood to direct the air pressure in a desirable way (maybe to compensate for the lack of air flow underneath the car, you can obtain it on top?) but again, this would require a good amount of measuring both outside and inside the hood.

But don't just take my word for it, look at plenty of race cars and you'll see flat underbodies with specific cut outs and lots of holes, cuts and wings on top of the car

-Colin
Colin-

Thanks, looks like I need to book a wind tunnel, lol. Just looking for a little extra MPG to make it to 40 on the highway, (and if I can look cool that's a plus.)
Old 08-25-2009, 03:59 PM   #6
Shiny Metal Titanium

Fan#: 60433
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Titanium Seda

Points 12,892, Level 74
Points: 12,892, Level: 74 Points: 12,892, Level: 74 Points: 12,892, Level: 74
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 7 Phokus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Oh man 40 should be easy!
I don't have the spoiler and I can get average of 43mpg highway. Just go the speed limit either 55 or 65 and you should be fine. Setting cruise would be best though.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:44 PM   #7
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 56816
What I Drive: 2006 white ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Member bluefront Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
The only thing you'll get out of a spoiler at legal speeds......being called a "ricer" if it's too big. Or it'll be called "looking good" or something similar, if it's a common spoiler seen around here frequently.

Look elsewhere for MPG gains for your Focus.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:21 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phokus View Post
Oh man 40 should be easy!
I don't have the spoiler and I can get average of 43mpg highway. Just go the speed limit either 55 or 65 and you should be fine. Setting cruise would be best though.
70 or 75 is more like it...then again my Focus isn't fully broken in yet.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:55 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 67411
What I Drive: 2007 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 BlackHayze Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefront View Post
The only thing you'll get out of a spoiler at legal speeds......being called a "ricer" if it's too big. Or it'll be called "looking good" or something similar, if it's a common spoiler seen around here frequently.

Look elsewhere for MPG gains for your Focus.
Hahahaha, that's so funny, but so true.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:17 AM   #10
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62423
What I Drive: F-dub soon-to-be

FF Reputation: 17 TaylorinAlaska Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
yea the aluminum ones wire to your engine and add 15 hp

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.