Focus Fanatics Forum banner

08 Sedan to 09 Coupe Front

10K views 60 replies 25 participants last post by  DarderSauce 
#1 ·
So Im opening this up, since I have time right now.

I switching out my 08 Sedan front bumper cover to a 09 Coupe's front.
I needed to repaint my front bumper so instead I purchased an 09 and am having that painted.
I bought the bumper off of ebay for only $50 it cost me more for shipping but luckly I was the only bidder.

The bumper is due to arrive tomorrow, then off to paint on Monday! For now I have a couple of pics of the bumper that were sent to me by the seller and pic of my car. Hopefully everything goes well I will have more pictures and updates over the next two weeks of one of the first sedans with the coupe front.

[wrenchin]

See less See more
#6 ·
Sorry dude [neener] [joke]

So quick update, I went to ford before work today. As you can see in the picture of the 09 bumper there is not plastic mesh, so I went to Ford to see how much that is going to cost me. I know how dealers are and expected it to be around $110. Luckily? it only is going to cost $64.65. Ordering it on Wed. Should be here by friday.

#5 ·
yea! ive been wanting someone to do this for a long time! you best keep us very updated on the progress

#7 ·
So the bumper showed up today! Luckily I didnt get scamed and its not in 42 pieces. After a rigorous look over there is no real damage other than paint. And the person who shipped it even filled the couple of deeper scratches. So all it needs is sand primer paint !!!

Pictures after arriving home and getting it outta the box.

[cheers][clap]

#9 ·
So quick update, I went to ford before work today. As you can see in the picture of the 09 bumper there is not plastic mesh, so I went to Ford to see how much that is going to cost me. I know how dealers are and expected it to be around $110. Luckily? it only is going to cost $64.65. Ordering it on Wed. Should be here by friday.
It doesnt come with the plastic but itll only cost me 65$ from ford. What other pieces were you talking about? I checked and my aftermarket fogs will fit very nice inside the holes and I have since started to work on mounting them.

#11 ·
Yea if you could do that, it would be great. I didnt think I needed anything besides the bumper, and the grill, and obviously fogs... Hmm I might need to have a chat with the guys over at my local Ford they said it should be direct switch.

#12 ·
it took me forever to find the site i was talking about, but i realized its only for the 08s and not the 09s, ill try to find it for the 09s though.

however, this does show you that are there are many different "components" to the bumper, and not just the cover itself. i do not know how many, if any, parts are interchangable, and what exactly you actually need to replace, but that should help. [thumb]

#13 ·
ok i found this ford site as well, however it does not have the photos for the 09 coupe. it does have pricing for all parts though. the lower mesh grill costs 51 dollars from them. i would just call your local ford and ask all the parts that you need, i'm guessing you're going to need the bracket kits or whatever to hold it in place.

btw i gave you rep for your black out grill write up, i did that two weeks ago. as im looking on this sites for 09 coupe part prices, you saved me $120 lol

#14 ·
[grinking]Thanks for the REP

K so after look at the pics and comparing size and thinking some more I dont think ill have to really get much.

My guess the energy absorber will work for the 09 coupe because same shap and size up there just no cut in for the license plate if anthing i may just have to shave a few inches off of it if it hang down to low.
Only Item then that I am really unsure of is the outer right and left reiforcement. For that one and to make sure that the energy absorber will work Im gonna go have a little chat with Ford tomorrow morning.

Thanks a ton for finding those websites. ReP added for the help!

#16 ·
Well progress right now is as such.

Bumper is at paint. :)

Energy absorber on 08 sedan will work on 09 coupe.

Mounting Brackets, well I was told by the ford parts guys they will work. But he was 104 years old, and really didnt get what I was trying to do. So Im gonna go back tomorrow to well tripple check.

With a little luck the swap will be complete by the end of next week.

#19 ·
Yes that would be an odd conversation to have with a Home Depot Associate.

Well as sad as it is my bumper is still at my friends shop. This is what I get for wanting it done so cheap that I say you can keep it for a couple weeks if you need to and do it in your spare time :( oh well Im just impatient. I still havent made it over to Ford to order the mesh grill nor tripple check to make sure the outer reinforcements will work. But I have time. Maybe Monday.

Well for the time being I finally uploaded some photos I took after I did some sanding before I gave the bumper away to go get painted.

sorry crappy cell photos.

Yes I just put the bumper cover ontop of the one already there I had the car in the garage to touch up my grill

#23 ·
So I finally have a little bit of an update..

First sorry for the long delay (took him way longer to paint it than expected.

Soooo the bumper is painted. He finnished it today. I will have time to pick it up from him Friday, and i will have time to install Saturday. So look for tons of photos sometime Sat/Sun. Im very excited. I did finally purchase the center mesh grill. Took two days to come in to ford. Cost I think 63.45$ ish close to that amount.

Heres the grill.

#26 ·
Ha, yea I want it now to. But I work till 9 every night and he work early in the morning. I also dont have any days off till fri, and sat. So Ill pick it up friday, go to breakfast Sat. Then install as soon as I get home. Sorry for makin you guys wait another five days. Belive me I want this as bad if not more than you. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.