Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Anyway to Activate Additional Indicators

34K views 96 replies 42 participants last post by  badazz2010focus 
#1 ·
While working on my 08 the other day my flashlight beam happened to flash across the radio info display on top of the dash. Wait a minute, what was that I just saw? A closer look revealed more LED displays in there that do not illuminate on my SE model. For instance, the lower left corner has a temperature reading, I'm assuming outside, that doesn't come on. Even the pic below, from Ford, doesn't show it.

Anyone ever played with this and tried to activate those extra indicators hiding in there?

See less See more
#2 ·
It's actually a really simple mod, but the parts are fairly expensive. What you need to do is start by removing the radio display. That's the part you need to save. You can now throw away the rest of the car. Buy a Fusion. Put the display in a Fusion. Done.

The extra LCD's are just so that screen can be recycled in other Ford models. I don't think you can do do anything to activate them.

#3 · (Edited)
Man and I thought my exhaust was an expensive mod! Yeah, I figured it's just the same radio display they throw in everything, hooking up what they want per model. So if that's true though, those displays are functional. So it should be just a matter of finding out what we need to make them work in other models.

I'll be playing but if anyone has the answer jump right in. Also if you know for sure this is impossible and I'm waisting my time even thinking about it, jump right in too.

It will just bug me as long as I have the car knowing those are in there and I can't use them!

#53 ·
I'll be playing but if anyone has the answer jump right in. Also if you know for sure this is impossible and I'm waisting my time even thinking about it, jump right in too.

It will just bug me as long as I have the car knowing those are in there and I can't use them!
my cousin just bought a 2011 Focus SE and those extra displays are activated in hers. think it was the compass on the left side and the EXT Temp on the right side. Just trying to fuel the hope and dream of one day being able to activate those.

#7 ·
With some wiring, a few parts and maybe some soldering, I'm sure it can be done. The SVTs have an ice indicator in the auxiliary gauge cluster that doesn't do anything in the US... but it works in the ST170 in Europe. I already bought the sensor; I just have to get an extra harness to cut up so I can wire it in.

#8 ·
^^really? wow, never knew that. ill have to look at it today.
is it like in the F-Series? it tells you when there may be ice out? i never seen the point in that thing. its freezing outside...DUH! of course there is the possiblity of ice. for sure one of the most redundant IDIOT lights ever made

#10 ·
OK, now you're getting my hopes up. [:D] Would you mind letting me know how that goes, if you remember. I took a close look the other day and what I found hiding in the 08 radio information display is;

on the left side (top to bottom):

fan symbol with increasing bars after it
"Zone" with a couple of boxes after it and "CAL" at the end

on the right side (top to bottom)

"EXT TEMP"

These are all red LEDs, not the blue used for the radio info. I guess I'll need to do exactly what you did and figure out what each one is for and what vehicle (country) they are used in.

If anyone can I.D. them I'd love to hear from you. Let's see, I think I've figured out the fan speed and external temp, but don't know the vehicle yet.

#11 ·
First I had to figure out what cars it did work on (ST170 in my case), and then get the wiring diagrams and part numbers from a Ford parts guy in Europe. I first cross-checked the part numbers with Steve (FORDSVTPARTS) and he managed to find a US part number for the sensor. All I really need now is a spare harness so I can add two pins to the connector that's on my aux gauge cluster harness.

Your first step is to find out what the part number is for your cluster and what other cars it's used on. Then find which of those cars uses the indicator you want to enable. Get the wiring diagrams for that car and go from there.

#14 ·
The parts aren't all that expensive, but I spent about 3 days straight researching it, and I still have to modify the connector, run wiring to the front bumper and install it. I also had to get a spare cluster to test the indicator circuit. I'd have to find the receipt to get the price for you.

I think it's definitely useful here in NJ... late fall and early spring weather changes often and quickly, and it's definitely helpful to know if there's water or ice on the road if you're driving for an hour+ in rush hour traffic as it dips below freezing.

CaysE, we think alike, why have a perfectly good indicator sitting there that doesn't work? [dunno]
More options = more gooder. [thumb]

#13 ·
CaysE, we think alike, why have a perfectly good indicator sitting there that doesn't work? [dunno]

#16 ·
YES! That's it. Great picture. I gave you a rep point for that one, thanks for taking the time to find it. [thumb]

Now the real fun begins, figuring out how to activate those indicators.

When you snagged that picture was there a description of the year and model, or even if it was from a US or European model?

#19 ·
I hope you find a way to make that work, but I think the place where that panel gets recyled is on the Fusion SEL's. The option that adds the temp sensors is the EATC. If you can find that option for a Focus, I think that's what you're looking for. I attached a picture of where I think it gets recycled (with different color LED's)

Attachments

#18 ·
I have an SE 08' with ambient lighting, so nope that ain't it. Must be the SES model. Now I have something to do afterwork, research.

#20 ·
I'm a little confused as the picture that JB posted above clearly shows the display in a Focus. I did a little looking at work this afternoon and found another pic showing the same display that had a caption under it that read "2008 Ford Focus SE". But I couldn't dig deeper to find out where it came from. Now my 08' SE does have all of those indicators in the display, but they are hiding quietly away doing nothing.

But it does make sense that it would have to do with EATC. Have to look and see if that's an option on any Focus models.

I can smell it, we're getting closer!

#22 ·
#25 ·
someone should find out if the steering wheels works in older foci. i like the look of it better. (i dont care if the airbag and cruise dont work, hell they dont even need to be there...

#27 ·
Also curious! I haven't had a chance to go out and look closely at my display, but I'll do that next chance I get.

I hope there is a way to do this! I would have preferred the compass and temperature display over the ambient lighting... but the lighting is still pretty cool :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.