svt shift knob 02, 03 difference? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2004, 02:07 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 829
What I Drive: '03 SVTF Black

FF Reputation: 1 iwastei Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
svt shift knob 02, 03 difference?

Is there a difference in the number of threads a 2002 SVTF Shift knob has compared to a 2003?

I bought one off someone on ebay and the pattern only screws on to:

531R

instead of

R123

Thanks for any help,
Paulie

AEM CAI, Borla Cat-back exhaust, FC ORP, FS strut bar, FS UDP, Steeda Tri/ax short throw, Neons under the seats/dash/car, Gen 3 Altezzas, Clear sidemarkers, Hoen Foglight bulbs, VF Polyurethane rear motor mount.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2004, 07:54 PM   #2
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 9904
FF Reputation: 1 focusonic Good Standing Member
I think there may be a difference.

I scratched my stock "2004" shift knob trying to get it off when installed my Steeda STS (before I found the tips on this website that tells you about the "flats" on the bottom of it).

Anyway, I bought a new-in-box one from a board member (p/n 2M5Z-7213-BA 'Made in Germany') and it tightens down just like your's does. It WILL NOT turn any more in order to straighten the shift pattern. I know this because I ended up rounding off the flats with my 17mm wrench...before giving up and putting my scratched original one back on.

When I tighten my original one down, it gets tight, but they you can turn it at least one more turn around (360 degrees) in order to get it both tight and with the shift pattern straight.

Anyone have any ideas? Are there "late" and "early" part numbers possibly for SVTF shift knobs?
Old 07-27-2004, 07:41 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

haha. sucks doesn't it.

The only solution I came to was to use "Loctite" Threadlock Industrial Strength.

What you want to do is cover the inside of the knob with an even amount, then the threads on the shifter itself. twist the knob on until it won't go anymore, then turn it back just a little to where it will read the correct pattern:

R 1 3 5
2 4 6

Let it sit for about 10 minutes, you'll be fine. It'll be a pain to take it off, but if you already changed your shifter you're not going to have to.

Hope this helps,
Paul
AEM CAI, Borla Cat-back exhaust, FC ORP, FS strut bar, FS UDP, Steeda Tri/ax short throw, Neons under the seats/dash/car, Gen 3 Altezzas, Clear sidemarkers, Hoen Foglight bulbs, VF Polyurethane rear motor mount.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:09 AM   #4
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

That's a pretty good idea...how long have you had your's installed this way? Has it ever twisted or loosened up on you?

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-27-2004, 11:31 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5001
What I Drive: 2003 pitch black ZX5 SVT

Points 283, Level 5
Points: 283, Level: 5 Points: 283, Level: 5 Points: 283, Level: 5
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 moosejuice Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
When I put my Steeda STS in I had the same problem. I just put a couple of washer inside of the shift konb to space it up so that the numbers lined up correctly. It took a couple of different thinkness washers to get it just right, but now I can take the shift knob off again if I want with little problem.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:34 AM   #6
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1693
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SLIP STREAM SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
yes i agree with the washer idea, i almost had the same problem with the steeda sts, but it took me like 3 days of hand wrenching pain to turn it SOOO much til the pattern became strait, i know it's gonna be aPAIN to get off later but at least it looks good for now!!! =)
#2760 of 4788
Born: 6/13/2002 in Hermosillo Assembly Plant

Current Implants: Grounding Wires, AEM Cold Air Intake, Ford Racing Strut Bar, Smoked Nite Shade Side Markers, Home Made Shorty Antenna, Steeda Tri-Ax Short Shifter, VF Engine Mounts, SCT Xcalibrator 2 (tune by Wayne @ Hypnotic Illusions ), Nx 50 Shot Wet Kit
Old 07-27-2004, 12:44 PM   #7
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I like that washer idea better...thanks, I need to think outside the box!
Old 07-27-2004, 03:54 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

I've never had the shift knob loosen up on me with the Loctite.

It seems like the Factory might have used some type of bonding material to the knob/shifter to begin with.

In regards to the Washer Idea... Can't you see the Washer's?

How ugly would that look.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:23 PM   #9
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I think he meant to put small washer up inside the shift knob, not around the base of the threads on the shifter.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.