interior neon how to? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2005, 10:41 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10135
What I Drive: yellow ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 rw02kr43 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
interior neon how to?

I have a bunch of neons for my interior I want to wire up. I want to have the ones in the passenger area on one switch and the ones in the trunk on another switch. How do I power them and run the wires?

thanks
Jason

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2005, 09:53 AM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 25227
What I Drive: Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Nitrozx3 Good Standing Member
One power wire from the positive side of the battery through the firewall preferably put a fuse on it. Cut it were you want the switch splice a switch into it. Attach the power wire to the positive side of the light ground out the negative side of the light on the frame of the car. Switch on. I would get some sort of a power hub and put it into your trunk with a ten gauge power wire running to it. If you plan on having alot of accessories this will cut down on a wire clutter in the engine bay. If you wire a few lights to one power wire the smaller the wire the less power... hence you will get less light.
My car: ZX3 Diablosport 3stage computer module, intake, 65mm throttle body, ford racing cams/gears, rebuilt motor, 80 shot of nitrous, auto bottle opener, dual purge. Dual type R 12in subs dual type R 6x9's 1800 watt rockford fosgate amp, 1.5 cap
Old 08-29-2005, 11:32 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12450
What I Drive: '04 CD Silver ZTS (SVT Wannabe)

FF Reputation: 1 abrock124 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
lets see some pics once you get them wired up. I'm in the process of installing some in my interior as well. good luck
Old 08-29-2005, 11:25 PM   #4
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 11157
What I Drive: 2003, Pitch black, ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 punkfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Nitrozx3
I would get some sort of a power hub and put it into your trunk with a ten gauge power wire running to it.
do you mean like having another batterie in your trunk?! im not a car pro explain please!
Old 08-30-2005, 09:00 AM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 25227
What I Drive: Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Nitrozx3 Good Standing Member
Basically what it is is larger gauge wire running from your battery to your trunk depending on what your plans are I would go with 10 or maybe 8 gauge. There are "Hubs" for sale at most audio stores. Basically all it is is a splitter for your larger wire. You can spend a little more($70) and get one like I have that has fuses built in and a digital readout of what youre battery power level is at. What they do is take a larger wire split it into smaller wires for accesories and run it through fuses. I like mine cause it keeps clutter down and provides extra protection for your accessories. If you want to install an amp its also nice cause you allready have power in your trunk.
My car: ZX3 Diablosport 3stage computer module, intake, 65mm throttle body, ford racing cams/gears, rebuilt motor, 80 shot of nitrous, auto bottle opener, dual purge. Dual type R 12in subs dual type R 6x9's 1800 watt rockford fosgate amp, 1.5 cap
Old 08-30-2005, 09:29 AM   #6
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 26860
What I Drive: 05 Silver ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 Thrasher ALN Good Standing Member
If you don't want to spend $70, go to a junk yard and get a fuse box. You can use one from almost any car.
I did this in my Five Hundred to run 12VDC outlets into the rear center console for my kids to use their Game Boy chargers.

You can get really creative if the fuse box you get has relays. You can run extra (smaller gauge) control wires to have stuff come on with ignition, lights, etc.

If you are not electrically inclined or can't solder, just spend the $70.
'98 Red Flare Side Ranger
Old 08-30-2005, 10:18 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4729
What I Drive: 2000 Focus ZTS

FF Reputation: 2 SQFocusZTS Good Standing Member
do you want them to only go on with the switch? or do you want them to come on when you open the door/ off when you close the door? any cool stuff you want them to do?

-john
SQF

Certified MASTER Installer
one of 72 in the world...
Old 08-30-2005, 10:22 AM   #8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 4767
What I Drive: 07 F one-fiddy

FF Reputation: 8 Poney Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
you can do it that way, or you can just tap into another wire already on a fuse. I used my cig lighter wires. I never use it anyway. I've been meaning to do a how to on it. as soon as i get my camera back, ill post one. I should have it in about a week at the most.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:04 PM   #9
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 26860
What I Drive: 05 Silver ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 Thrasher ALN Good Standing Member
A power hub or a fuse/relay box is the way to go when adding 12V stuff to your ride.
Your stock fuse box does not have much current capacity left over, but your battery does.

I believe SQFocusZTS was refering to my post about using relays and is offering help on how to wire them for what u want them to do.

As an example, the accessory outlets I added to the back seat of my Five Hundred are wired to only work when the ignition is turned on. That way, my kids can't leave something plugged in that might drain my battery.
'98 Red Flare Side Ranger
Old 08-30-2005, 02:31 PM   #10
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 4767
What I Drive: 07 F one-fiddy

FF Reputation: 8 Poney Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Yeah, i hear wut your saying about adding a power hub straight off the battery. That pretty much the only way to go if your using dc to ac converters to power things like vcrs, gameboys, and things like that. But if your just gonna run a few neon lights, the factory wirings is fine as long as its on a fuse. Like i said, im using my cig lighter wires, cause i dont use the cig lighter. the neons dont put that much of a load, and the 12v are plenty. i have 6 neons through out my car, all wired up to a switch powered by the cig lighter. as long as its on a fuse, it should be ok. Either way would work

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.