Gauge swap claification? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2004, 02:43 AM   #1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2637
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black ZX4 SES

FF Reputation: 5 FucusUnderground Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Gauge swap claification?

Ok...don't kill me here guys, but I have read at LEAST 8 or 9 threads on swapping a non-tach cluster to one with the tach, so I'm not beating a dead horse with this...there's stuff I just don't fully understand. Ok, so I know you can swap them, and it's basically plug and play, and that it will throw off the mileage. I have seen some posts stating you can download the information to the ECU and upload it after the install. How is this done? Yes I am fairly new to the computerized aspect of tuning cars. But I mean, is this something I can do on my own? And how if so? And does anything have to be done to the speedo? I have seen a post or two claiming you can't legally reprogram the cluster, but I don't see how setting them back to their original values can be illegal. I really want a tach in the dash, I know putting one on the A-frame would be easier and cheaper, but i think that is ugly as hell IMO. I was hoping for a cleaner, more built in look. Any help here would be fabulous and again, I'm sorry if this topic has been done to death. I read em all and still have ?'s...

Oh yeah, as an asside, I am almost sure of this, but am I correct in assuming going to a larger wheel size would mean recalibration of speedo and mileage to compensate for the change in size?

Last edited by FucusUnderground; 01-19-2004 at 02:45 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2004, 02:43 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 392
What I Drive: 2001 Excursion (ISO another foci)

Points 6,874, Level 54
Points: 6,874, Level: 54 Points: 6,874, Level: 54 Points: 6,874, Level: 54
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 llama_in_a_focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (22)
yes, wheels make a difference, and the milage on the new cluster will be the new milage for the car. it is also stored in the ecu however, but the only way to read that milage is to hook it upo to fords computer. if i were you, i would put in the new cluster, and run the hell out of the miles, then sell it to a dealership and swap out the cluster bewfore i took it in tho them.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3668272&posted=1#post3668272
Old 01-22-2004, 03:52 PM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 242
What I Drive: 2003 TwiBlue 2.3 ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Lil PZEV Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Are you joking, it's not like that's illegal or anything...
Old 01-22-2004, 07:07 PM   #4
Focus Addict

That's what I was thinking Lil PZEV...besides, I wouldn't sell my baby.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:11 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Points 6,874, Level 54
Level Up 62% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
me either, but have you ever rented a uhaul? you used to just be able to undo the odometer and drive for free. now it shuts the truck off and you have to call for help. and i know it is illegal, bu i have been in the car buisness for awhile, and that is nothing compared to some of the stuff i have seen........

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3668272&posted=1#post3668272
Old 01-27-2004, 02:15 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96
What I Drive: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

FF Reputation: 1 01CobaltTiburon Good Standing Member
That still doesn't make it right, or legal, and I can't believe you'd suggest that to anyone on here. I thought MOST of us had more common sense than that. I want my car to stay legal at all times, as most of us here do.

Yes, I have said it before and I'll say it again: The two different clusters are plug and play. Take out the old one, plug in the new one, and the entire cluster will work correctly. The mileage WILL be off, because the new cluster will still have whatever mileage came from the car it used to be in. Take it to your dealer, and for a fee (I don't know how much), they will download the correct mileage, stored in your ECU, into the new cluster. Don't let anyone tell you this is illegal, or that it can't be done. If your dealer tells you it can't be done, they are idiots and you need to go find another dealer. You will eventually find one that will do it for you.

End of story.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:54 PM   #7
Focus Addict

Old 01-28-2004, 12:08 AM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Points 6,874, Level 54
Level Up 62% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
it will take the dealer about a week to get it done. they park your car, send out both clusters and whenever tehy come back recalibrated in about 8 to 10 days you can drive you car again. also, it is about 100 bux. hey sunshine, do you ever speed? what about park in the fire lane to run into blockbuster? that is illigal. and i said it was from the get go, i didn't lie.

Old 02-05-2004, 09:59 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96
What I Drive: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

FF Reputation: 1 01CobaltTiburon Good Standing Member
I was referring to illegal modifications to my car, and no, I have never parked in a fire lane to return movies to blockbuster. I speed on occasion, but never more than 5-7 over the limit, unless I am driving the ambulance.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:37 AM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 955
What I Drive: 02 Focus Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 Hockeyman Good Standing Member
Actually the dealership doesn't have to send out the cluster... it can all be done in house with the WDS. If you read in the Focus service manual it states that you have to hook up the old cluster to the WDS and download all the applicable info to the WDS and then upload it to the new cluster. It only takes an hour or so to do not over a week.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.