Autometer cobalt? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2005, 07:00 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 15709
What I Drive: 2004 SB SVTF 2003 DSG Cobra

FF Reputation: 1 svtfocus2k4 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Autometer cobalt?

What do you guys think about autometer cobalt gauges in a triple pod on my SVTF?

I have been wanting to get a triple pod ever since I sold my lightning (that had lunar's in triple pod).

My buddy got the ultralites and I dont want to be just like him.

I am thinking of getting the a/f (yes I know it is pretty much a light show so dont flame), the new d pic, and then something else. Maybe the intake temp. I really wish they made the brake pressure or brake temp in the correct size. Maybe that will go in my hvac surround next to my TV.

B

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2005, 07:55 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 9745
What I Drive: 2001 Pitch Black Focus SE SPi

FF Reputation: 1 Sting2324 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
How bout them Ford Racing gauges?

---Randy
Old 07-19-2005, 08:03 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Those are great BUT they dont have the fun meter pegged like the autometer. The new d pic is awesome. The only thing is it only comes in two styles so I am trying to get some feedback as to what color choice.

The alutralite that will be a close match to the SVTF stock gauges or the cobalt that is black with blue accents. It too will go nicely with my black and blue interior.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:30 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25741
What I Drive: Liquid Grey 2005 ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 OAC_Sparky Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I am in the process of installing a D-Pic in my ST. The Ultra-Lite matches the silver gauge-cluster really well.

The other gauge I chose (mine's a 2-guage pod) was a Stewart Warner Guage Ultra Shift, unfortunately Autometer doesn't make a 2-1/16 integrated shift light/tach (tsk,tsk). It doesn't match perfectly, because the G.U.S has a deep deep red (almost black) face, but the bezel matches closely, looks pretty good.

I'll post pics when it's done.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:04 PM   #5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 5736
What I Drive: 2003 White zx3 2.3L

FF Reputation: 16 Foci_Fosho Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
also send me a pm, or post a thread including installation, and all of it's neeto features...

I am interested in the D-PIC, it sounds cool and I would like to get one someday.
Old 07-23-2005, 05:10 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Just a quick update --

I haven't taken pictures yet, but at this point I'm not really happy with the DPIC.

I plan on following up with pics, but I'm posting this now so that others can be forewarned.

So, before I go on, let me quickly describe the DPIC's function.

The DPIC is an accelerometer. It measures G-Forces in the four directions of the horizontal plane (Foreward, aft, left and right). By measuring an acceleration over a given time, you can calculate velocity and distance.[v=at, d=at^2, etc.]. The DPIC's computer seems to have the ability of segmenting the data in order to give a more accurate depiction of the actual run. Punch in the vehicle's weight, and it can calculate RWHP.

So, just to give a rundown (lol, that's kind of a pun), I had the thing installed, and there's a calibration peocedure you go through that's supposed to set up the gauge for the mounting position in the car. That was pretty straightforward. You set the car up on a flat, straight road, and when you are ready in Vehicle Calibration mode, you start the sequence. It makes you HOLD for about 3 second while it gets a stationary (zero reading) and then it tells you to GO, where you drive off in a straight line. After about 5 second, it says DONE and you should be good to go.

And all is well. Until you shut the car off. Apparently, my first one saved all the setting, EXCEPT for the calibration. Which means I had to calibrate it every time. Which apparently is not what is supposed to happen, according to the Autometer tech I called long distance to. (WTF? No toll-free tech line?)

So, I gritted my teeth, pulled the a-pillar back apart, (more work than I can explain at the moment), removed the gauge and got it exchanged for a new one. (props to Performance Improvements in Hamilton for standing behind what they sell).

After, remounting, resoldering, regluing, repinning and reinstalling the a-pillar, still no joy. A little better, not much.

The guage is mounted in the car. The a-pillar is not going to move. Why do I need to calibrate each time?

Another pet peeve. The features are neat, but there should be a way to kill the LED display. They can get rather distracting.

Anyways, as I said, pics will follow. But at the moment I would say anyone wanting a D-Pic shoud either wait for an improved version or pass altogether.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:51 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23728
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 Kona

FF Reputation: 1 focusboy0383 Good Standing Member
the cobalts look waaaaaaaay better then the ford racing in my opinion
Old 07-23-2005, 10:06 AM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

That is odd about the Dpic. Do you have it wired to a constant power? Stupid question but I had to ask.

I am going with the Dpic, a/f and outside temp. Cobalt.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:08 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by svtfocus2k4
That is odd about the Dpic. Do you have it wired to a constant power? Stupid question but I had to ask.

I am going with the Dpic, a/f and outside temp. Cobalt.
It doesn't have that option, and shouldn't need to.

There are only three wires to hook up.

Switched positive (ignition), negative (ground), and a tap into the lighting system to dim the lights at night.

Settings are saved to an EEPROM -- it saves everything else -- display settings, last run data, etc. Just not the darned calibration.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.