need help with speedhut guages - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2004, 08:31 PM   #1

Fan#: 311
What I Drive: 2003 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 paulie317 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
need help with speedhut guages

ok here is the deal. i got a set of guages for christmas and now i need to get them installed. i called the local custom shop and they told me that it would be $100-$120 to get them installed. i looked at the how-to deal and saw that you shouldn't move the needles. and there is the problem, i have been trying to figure out how to get this thing over the needles and there is no way to do it. what should i do?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2004, 09:01 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 351
What I Drive: Focus Se Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 FOCUS_ZTS Good Standing Member
yes there is a way to get them on. Its called follow the instructions. You have to get someone to help you. slide it on so that all the holes are just under the needles and then get someone to hold it in place while you work at getting it under the rest of the way. be patient and take your time or you will kill your needles and the gauges. I have the same ones and got it on as soon as I got the wife to help me out. you can lift the gauges as needed just dont go as far as making a 90 degree bend. if you fold them they are no good to you anymore. be sure to use a lot of two sided tape I have to go back and put more I didnt and they are touching my needles about 100-115km. the needle jerks over that spot now. when it warms up i'll have to go back and take care of it. Anyway go slow and dont go nuts and get help from gurl or a friend. you will love them once they are on.
Old 01-03-2004, 09:33 PM   #3

thanks man i am just nervous about doing this. i know my car has 600 miles on it but that would look funny trying to get it warrenteed. i will try it and thanks again
Old 01-04-2004, 12:54 AM   #4
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1885
What I Drive: Accord

FF Reputation: 1 neojen Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I want gauges but Im nost sure if its worth the work of installing.. I hear its easy from some ppl then that its hard from others..
Old 01-04-2004, 02:41 PM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1104
What I Drive: '04 SRT-4, '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

FF Reputation: 1 XxDRIVERxX Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I should have mine in about a week, I got the instructions from Myzx3.com Are there other instructions, Besides the ones in the kit?

Thanks, shawn
Old 01-05-2004, 01:05 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2221
What I Drive: 2002 SVTF Pitch Black

FF Reputation: 1 focuzdSVT Good Standing Member
I'll be putting mine on later this week. I'll let you know how it comes along. Maybe get some pics of how it goes over the needle.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:59 PM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1298
What I Drive: 03' ZX3 2.3

FF Reputation: 1 eggyolk Good Standing Member
If you have a PZEV engine it won't fit over the needles, the cluster is slightly different. I installed Speedhut guages and had to take my needles off then put them on and re-calibrate using the odometer's test mode.

But if you have the ZETEC you should be good to go.
Draxas race header
Old 01-05-2004, 05:28 PM   #8

hey focuzdSVT pics would help a whole lot. if you can that would be great. just dont want to screw anything up
Old 01-05-2004, 10:08 PM   #9
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 180
What I Drive: 04 Pontiac GTO - Yellow M6

FF Reputation: 2 whiteboyslo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
isn't there a how-to on this here? i used it and thought it helped a lot. even had pics.

it WILL fit! i thought the same thing you did, and ended taking off the needles, but it wasn't necessary. i had to re-calibrate everything using the test mode. no huge deal, but it made for more of a PITA than it had to be. here's the trick: point all the needles facing up, then slide the faceplate over and stick the needles through their appropriate holes (btw, this is easier if you take out the stops for the speedo and tach as well as the reset button for the odometer. they just pull out). after you get the needles through the holes, push the faceplate down to the point where the little metal shaft underneath the needle is sitting flush with the top of the hole in the faceplate. this takes a little work bc getting enough room underneath the needle for it to fit takes a little time and patience. now slide the faceplate over the rest of the needle. you may have to bend the faceplate a little to do this. it's now big deal, just don't go far enough that you crease it.

hope this helps.

Mike
Old 01-05-2004, 10:30 PM   #10

what about the double stick tape, before or after you put this thing on?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.