Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Instrument Cluster Swap

6K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  guerro 
#1 ·
Hey all, I just got a 2000 Focus SE with a manual tranny. I want to swap out my tach-less instrument cluster for one with a tach. What I want to know is, will the new cluster correctly display the odometer reading and/or throw a trouble code? I have about 25k miles on my car now, and if I get a new cluster, will the new cluster display my mileage or the mileage from the car the cluster is pulled from? Also, I saw a listing of the different DTC codes that can be viewed on the cluster at focus hacks. Code A139 is "PCM ID does not match between Instrument Cluster and PCM." Is this something I should worry about? Would the swap cause this code to be thrown, and what could I do about it? The reason I'm concerned is because we got a dealer warranty with the car, and I don't want it voided from this. Thanks in advance for any information.

#2 ·
The mileage displayed on the new (or new to you) instrument cluster will be the mileage from whatever vehicle it is pulled from. However, you can go to your dealer and they can sync things up and make it display the correct mileage, since the odometer reading in stored in the ECU and not the cluster.

I have never heard of a trouble code being thrown just for installing a new cluster. There have been several people on here do this swap, and they have had no troubles.

Let us know how it goes.

#5 ·
You don't have to get the dealer to do it for you... they are all ignorant. The new cluster will plug right in to where the old cluster came out. Same plug, same wiring, etc. It's a piece of cake. There is a how-to that I did for this in the "How-to" section here.

Geez those Ford guys are retarded...

#7 ·
Just tell the dealer your cluster crapped out and you got a replacement from the junkyard and ask them to sync it up for you. If they are as dumb as LiquidGray says they are, then they wont notice that your car didnt come with a tac. Good Luck. [thumb]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.