Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Who has done the auto shifter upgrade with the Edge handle?

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  GreySkorpion 
#1 ·
So when I took my 04 auto shifter handle off, it had the plunger attached to it, I have seen where others it did not. In the pic, you can see it sticking out of the bottom of the handle, is this normal?

I am wanting to buy this handle and hoping it will be a straight swap:

How do I keep the ability to push my button to release the handle to shift between gears with the later handle? I know this has been done numerous times, someone please help out, Thanks!!

See less See more
#3 ·
I wanna say that plunger thing needs to come out of your stock handle and go back into the shaft. Then the new one slides over the top. The new handle pushes down when you press the button so I would think it should work. I wouldn't think that the duratec setup would make a diff in the regard compared to the zetec. You will need to drill new holes in the shaft for the set screws of the new handle since they are in a diff location.

#5 ·
Btw when you take your handle.off I believe you leave the shaft in place. You undo the set screw at the base of the handle and then pry/pull it off which would then leave the top of the plunger sticking up out of the shaft.

Really need to go experiment on the Kona's. Battery is dead so I can't do the whole shift gear thing....I think.

#7 ·
how did you make out with this? I would love to do this mod. I put a Flex shift handle in my wifes 06 explorer and it worked great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.