Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Headliner Gauge Pod

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  fastzx360 
#1 ·
Does anybody make a headliner gauge pod for the Mk1 focus? I have seen one in my buddies Super Duty and I really like the look of it. The A-pillar pods are ok I just like the cleaner look on the headliner.
Let me know.

-sbc

#5 ·
Yea. I think I am gonna be getting one and then modifying it to fit. I think it's a way cleaner look than on the a pillar. Plus, I haven't seen anybody else that has done it so it would be different. ; )

#6 ·
Just cause it looks good in one vehicle - doesn't mean it will look good in all vehicles as you are suggesting. Where would you mount it? You have visors, dome light, grab handles, etc in your way.You have more headroom in a SuperDuty as well, a gauge pod in a Focus roof might obstruct vision.

#7 ·
That is some very valid points. I think I would cut it to "hook" on the mirror and then hook under the headliner. The visibility and other things I will have to still consider. I have a tint visor so I don't ever use the shades. All of this will have to be worked out very carefully for it to work correctly.

It may very well not work but, I am sure as heck willing to give it a try.

#8 ·
So I ordered one of these. I think it will be the easiest to "slice and dice". And it was only $20 instead of $60 for the autometer one. I also ordered a voltage gauge to go in it.

I think one of these were for sale on here before. How hard/easy would it be to make one? Cause it would be nice to replace the "idiot" oil temp and pressure and keep them located in the same spot.

#9 ·

^ I made that (literally, that's my work). I still make them. I have one finished and ready to go right now for $150 shipped.

#10 ·
That's really great work. It looks OEM. I wish I had $150 to give you for one. Did you do fiberglass?

It will be a challenge/something to do to keep me busy this summer. I hope I can get it to turn out as good as yours.

#15 ·
Alright so the car came out today and I had a quick min to do a crappy tape mock up for what I wanna do. I looked at the space i have to work with and i don't think a full size pod will work. So some of you who though it wouldn't work i have now confirmed it. Lol

But i didn't give up that easy!! Glowshift sends you a single mount gauge pod with there gauges. It's very minimal and small enough to fit in the windshield instead of a full pod! So I taped it up there to get an idea of how driving with it would be. IMO it's perfect! You can tuck the metal plate up high enough into the headliner so that there is no visibility loss(within reason)

I plan on mounting this up maybe next week sometime.

I'll have better pics of how I mount it as well as more angles to see how it looks installed.

#16 ·
Alright. So I just finished installing the voltage gauge into my headliner area. I ended up just using the single pod that came with the gauge from Glowshift. It has a metal bracket with it as well.

First I used about 3" of matte black vinyl on the inside of the windshield. This both allowed me to stick the gauge and removed the dot matrix problem with my tint visor.

I used this to stick it to the vinyl on the windshield. They are for picture frames and they are rated at almost 15lbs which is more than enough. They are "Command Strips". It's like plastic Velcro but stronger.

I wired the power thru the headlight switch using this pin diagram. (The rectangle one on the right)

Here is the finished product installed. I think it turned out great. When I get more money I am planning on getting a water temp and oil pressure gauge to put up there as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.