Focus Fanatics Forum banner

LED dome light issus

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Sniper Focus 
#1 ·
OK so i recently put an led bulb in my interior dome light, i have came across a small problem with it, when you have it set to dim when the doors are closed it never actually turns off fully it stays on but its very dim. it there anyway to fix this ?

thanks

#2 ·
This, believe it or not, is not a "problem". Its the way the light is wired. For some reason there is a slight current going thru the bulb. It is enough to turn on a LED(very dim) but not for a incandescent bulb. It won't drain your battery. When you turn off the car and lock the doors it goes completely off after 10-15 min. Besides being a little annoying while driving at night, its not hurting anything.

I ran into the same situation and figured out that it is harmless.

-sbc

#3 ·
All of my interior LEDs do this. A friend of mine told me that the cars electric system is never fully off while the car is running. So while the ignition is on, there is always a little bit of power running thru the wires. Nothing to worry about, but if it does bug you, there are error free LEDs available they just cost more because they have a built-in resistor.

#5 ·
No problem. I wish I could help as much as everybody else on this site has helped me.

The LED being dim while night driving bothered me for a while but I got used to it. Besides, I am to cheap to buy another bulb. Lol

#8 ·
It's because LED's take VERY little power to lite-up and there is always a small flow of electricity flowing through. You CAN fix this by installing a resistor(s). The highER quality lights usually come withthe resistor already installed. Mine has been in and dinmly on for years now, you get used to it. It's not worth the hastle of installing a resistor if you ask me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.