Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Steering Wheel radio controls

22K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  judam 
#1 ·
I know some of the later Foci came with radio controls in the steering wheel.

Was this an option for the MK1?

If so, how difficult would it be to do a swap?

#6 ·
You could probably find one in a part out. Its not on the steeringwheel itself, but its on the column just behind where your left hand would be, its very accessible and I love mine.

Im not sure what all would be needed to install it though. I hooked mine up to an aftermarket radio with a kit.

#10 ·
It's a stalk that snaps into the steering column behind the wheel below the turn signals.

It has a plug with two wires that run to the third plug on the stock HU. For the 6006/9006 it is the smaller plug in the center of the radio. For the single disc it is located between the two other plugs.

Either cut a hole in the exhisting lower surround or get the surround with the propper hole.

The white/black for pin 11 and brown/yellow wires are the radio control signal wires. Simply connect the colors.

#17 ·
It was mostly on the 6- disc can't remeber the model, but came in the SVT and you would need the switch itself with the stalk out of the column and the column surround and the wiring. I am getting ready to part one out mainly for myself, but I could save everything, but the switch is messed up. It works just sometimes ends up changing the channel when turning it up or down, but could get you close to what you need.

#21 ·
It was mostly on the 6- disc can't remeber the model, but came in the SVT
This is going to be the issue for those with a standard focus. a 6006,9006 and probably the blankput will have the input for the steering wheel controls. If your looking for something that is simple as connecting to the harness.

Otherwise, if your aftemarket deck has the option you can get the adapter for about $50+ plus you should be able to make focus controls work if you want to wire those up. There are kits though to add steering wheel control as well.

#18 ·
i just emailed a guy on ebay about the controls itself. no stalk or surround. If he still has it i might be interested in your sweet partout 5door.

#19 ·
Mine did not come with it, but everything was there. I bought the controls, cut a hole JUST big enough for it to fit. Then all that needed to be done was to attach the connecter that was already under the steering column cover and attach it to the mounting post that was already there. One of the best "upgrades" I've done.

Not sure if it's the same on the earlier models or not, but doesn't hurt to look before purchasing unneeded items.

#20 ·
I need to make my own harness since my 2000 Focus didn't come retrofitted for this option.

Can you guys tell what is a pin assignment on the connector itself used by steering wheel controller to the pins 11, 12 found on the radio HU? The 2 pins out of 3 are used on the connector, and finding which ones are connected with pin 11 and pin 12 will be a great help. Thanks in advance.

#22 · (Edited)
Success! I made the steering wheel radio controller to work. Here are my findings:

1.Pin #1 on the controller connects to Pin #12 on the back of the stock Focus radio.
2.Pin #2 on the controller connects to Pin #11 on the back of the stock Focus radio.

NOTE: To locate Pins #11, 12 go back to post #10 in this thread which shows the whole pin out for one of the plugs used by factory radio.

Just to be clear my stock Focus radio is 6-Disk changer model #6006.

Thanks for this thread I have new feature added to my Focus. Hope this helps somebody in the future in building their own harness.

Cheers!

#29 ·
I have Focus MK1 2002, 2.0 SE (USA) in which the radio model 4600 (Made in Brasil).
I want to install control next to the steering wheel for radio. There are 3 pins on steering wheel. Does anyone know if all three or only 2 are used and which two? And where do you connect these two or three wires on the radio? On the back of the radio there are two connectors with 8 pins, in the middle between them there is a small one with 6 pins and to the left of it is a connector with 12 pins ... Somewhere I found that the pins 11 and 12 (in green connector with arrrow) are connected to the radio (that only can be that 12-pin connector?)

Thanks for answers

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.