Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Trunk light in ZX3/Hathbacks

6K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  ViperThreat 
#1 ·
Do first gen ZX3/ZX5/Hatchbacks not have a trunk light?

You know, the light you use to see things, in the trunk. [rofl]
I don't see one in mine, and its kind of bothering me.
There may already be a thread on this, but I didn't see it.

Its bothering me quite a lot, the whole not being able to see things in the trunk when I'm loading up my gear at night.

Thank you Foci-wisemen. [pray]

#7 ·
Yeah, I found it this morning.
I don't see how that could possibly be of any use to anyone.

rambleon, How did you run the LED strips? Wire it into the existing light? And would you happen to have pictures?!

And if anyone else has lighting solutions, let me know.
I really want something back there.

#20 ·
Yeah, I found it this morning.
I don't see how that could possibly be of any use to anyone.

rambleon, How did you run the LED strips? Wire it into the existing light? And would you happen to have pictures?!
Sorry PRSman (paul reed smith fan?) I didnt see this post sooner.

A number of us have run led strips or blocks. The leds have just 2 wires so you can just splice into the 2 wires of the hatch light. Then just attach the led block/strip to the underside of where the cargo cover sits so its out of sight. You can even then run a wire from there to the other side and have lights on both sides and tuck the wire out of view behind the plastic I interior panels.
This is exactly what I did. The wires are perfectly hidden out of sight and power from the hatch light are more than enough to power two sets of led strips. I'll see if i cant get a good picture of the lights working tomorrow.

I believe my strips have either 6 or 9 white leds (self adhesive too) and then I just used some 18 or 20 gauge speaker wire i had laying around. I ran it under the hard plastic trim of the lower inside hatch area. I like it because it has a clean factory look, ie cant see anything unless you are really looking.

#8 ·
A number of us have run led strips or blocks. The leds have just 2 wires so you can just splice into the 2 wires of the hatch light. Then just attach the led block/strip to the underside of where the cargo cover sits so its out of sight. You can even then run a wire from there to the other side and have lights on both sides and tuck the wire out of view behind the plastic I interior panels.

#24 ·
Here are the pictures I said I would add. It might be helpful for anyone who is planning on doing this mod. It's fairly easy and inexpensive to do. The required skill level is pretty low.

Shot with the garage lights on. Big difference from the yellow incandescent bulbs to the white led lights

Driver Side:

Passenger side:

In the dark at about chest height:

In the dark from bumper height to show the strips:

From the driver side, I have both sets of LED's tapped into the original light's power. For the passenger side I ran wires from the power source, down and tucked into the area behind the inside bumper then up to the passenger side. None of the wires are showing, nice and clean install. I believe i bought the led strips from Amazon, just search led strips and they should pop up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.