audiophile system viberations - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2003, 09:40 AM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 471
What I Drive: 03' Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 cfire39275 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
audiophile system viberations

i have the audiophile package and i noticed that there is a buzzing sound coming fron the underbody when the music is turned up. i was wondering how to fix it, and if it would be covered under warrenty.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2003, 08:08 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 745
What I Drive: '03 hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Infra3sv Good Standing Member
I have a 03 svt ith an audiophile package. It might differ from your though. Ihaven't noticed any buzzing but it sounds like it might be a wiring issue. In my old bimmer the buzzing would increase with the rpms. It sounded like a rocket taking off. It sounds like a warranty issue.
Old 09-22-2003, 10:38 PM   #3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

sorry let me rephrase that. its not really a buzzing, comming from the speakers like you are talking about, which would be some kinda interferance. it is a rattleing sound. turn up the bass all the way and turn it up. u should hear what i am talking about. i first thought it was the heat shield at the rear of the car, but im not too sure about that now
Old 09-22-2003, 10:54 PM   #4
Focus? What Focus?

Fan#: 388
What I Drive: 2003 Ford Explorer Sport

FF Reputation: 1 dave30 Good Standing Member
could be the car's way of begging for a decent stereo........... j
Old 09-23-2003, 06:12 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 647
What I Drive: focus SVT AND ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 imajsdaddy Good Standing Member
Turn it down a hair! The 8" isn't a competition sub!

There are several bolts that hold it down. Lift the carpeted tire cover in the back, take a 10mm socket and make sure they are tight... I think! there are 3 bolts into the floor of the car and 2 into the side... If they are loose it might be the source of your issues...

If not take it to the dealer and tell them there is a rattle! Be persistant!
Old 09-23-2003, 06:15 PM   #6
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

these rattles are not comming from there. they are comming from the body of the car, the hatch or somewhere else on the body. i dont know exactally where.

so this stuff should be covered under warrenty?????
Old 09-25-2003, 02:50 AM   #7
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 799
What I Drive: 2001 ford focus zx3

FF Reputation: 1 Kiedo Good Standing Member
you might check the liscense plate, mine rattles insanly (though I do have a hx2 12") and even though the audiophile 8" is not a 12" If you have a plate braket it could be loose. If you've got a hatch you might check the cover over the cargo area that goes up with your hatch. Or consider buying cheep tweeters so you can hear it, or much of anything for that matter.
beating a guy who claimed to have four grand invested in his civic: PRICELESS
Old 09-25-2003, 02:53 AM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 324
What I Drive: VW GLI 1.8Turbo

FF Reputation: 1 CowsGoMoo Good Standing Member
i have a 12" DVC sub, the rattling you are hearing is from the gas tank shield. It's a big piece of shielding underneight your car, shielding your exhaust tubing from the gas tank... You can't take it off (you could, but ford put it there for a reason). Get some underbody coating that has sound deadening ability. Spray it all over that biatch, it'll take care of it.

My ZX5 Focus!
Old 09-27-2003, 06:00 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 326
What I Drive: 2013 PB Ti Hatch +Handling

Points 18,906, Level 87
Points: 18,906, Level: 87 Points: 18,906, Level: 87 Points: 18,906, Level: 87
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 4 mikesusz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
if you notice the vibration is coming from exactly _underneath_ the car, then it might be a heat shield. they put thin pieces of metal over the catalytic converter, because it gets very hot and you don't want to start a fire if you take a turnaround on some dry grass or something.

catalytic converter heat shields are usually tacked on at 4 corners, if one or more of the corners rusts off or otherwise lets go, it's direct metal-on-metal vibration. usually, this is noticed when you're revving the engine, not the stereo, but it might be the problem.

you should be able to turn your engine off, turn the stereo up and locate the vibration. shut the windows, too, so you can concentrate on hearing the vibration (and not the tunes).

typically though, as somebody mentioned, license plates are also notorious for rattles, especially since nowadays they're only held on with 2 bolts instead of 4.

good luck.
Old 09-27-2003, 10:10 PM   #10
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

well thanks alot. at first i thought it was the liscense plate frame, but then i put 4 bolts in it and the noise didne stop. then i put my exaust tip on with the radio on and i believed that it was comming from the heat shield about the muffler. i guess ill just see what i can do and let you guys know how it works out. thanks again!!!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.