Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/)
-   MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk1-interior-mods-upgrades/)
-   -   Instrument Cluster Swap - Multiple Part Numbers, Help! (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk1-interior-mods-upgrades/247967-instrument-cluster-swap-multiple-part-numbers-help.html)

raptordrew 01-08-2011 11:49 PM

Instrument Cluster Swap - Multiple Part Numbers, Help!

So I'm trying to find the appropriate gauge cluster to swap my 07 from a speedo only to speedo/tach cluster - and there appear to be 3 different part numbers listed. Hoping someone here may know which part numbers correspond to which style instrument cluster. I think I have two deciphered, but the third I'm not sure on:

MPH, ID 6S4T-10849-BA - appears to be "tach" cluster
MPH, ID 6S4T-10849-DA - appears to be the speedo only, like I have
MPH, ID 6S4T-10849-FA - this one perplexes me. Some results on eBay mention tach, some dont.

Anyone have any thoughts/knowledge? I plan on contacting the seller I've found on ebay that has one with only about 1,000 more miles than my current cluster (I'll drive til I hit the number), but since it's a salvage yard, I'm worried they'll get the cluster mixed up with one of their other various ones.

Thanks!

matmatician 09-10-2012 11:35 PM

Bump for updates. I'm looking at doing the same thing as the OP. Raptordrew, did you get it figured out?

raptordrew 09-10-2012 11:37 PM

For the most part; -BA is in fact tach cluster (ordered one and installed), -DA is speedo only, and -FA I can't remember; will double-check my notes tomorrow and get back to you.

matmatician 09-10-2012 11:41 PM

Wow, thanks for the quick reply man! How was the install? Not too hard I take it? I've got an aftermarket stereo coming so I figured now would be the time since I'm gonna be tearing into the dash anyways.

raptordrew 09-10-2012 11:45 PM

No problem, gotta love email notifications :D

The install was super easy; just follow the steps in this thread; it doesn't have pictures, but it's verbose enough you should be able to figure it out. Basically 10 screws/bolts to remove, and that's that. I replaced my panel while on a road trip, at a rest stop, haha... 2 miles before the old tach would've lined up with the "new" one. Takes all of 10-15 minutes, if I recall.

Ak-Focus 06-08-2016 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raptordrew (Post 3515724)
MPH, ID 6S4T-10849-FA - this one perplexes me. Some results on eBay mention tach, some don't.

Anyone have any thoughts/knowledge?
Thanks!

Information below is from these three URLs:

2005 Ford Focus Instrument Cluster - FordPartsGiant.com

2006 Ford Focus Instrument Cluster - FordPartsGiant.com

2006 Ford Focus Instrument Cluster - FordPartsGiant.com

The ones with an -FA appear to be different for 2005 vs. 2006/2007. The 2005 ones start with 4S4Z and the 2006/2007 start with 6S4Z (note Z, not T).

If you compare all of the available options between the years, the -XX codes that repeat are the same; except for -FA. The the 4S4Z (2005) it is with tach. For the 6S4Z (2006/2007) it is without tach. I can't vouch for the accuracy of what the web pages say, but that's the content.

What I would like to know is whether the 6S4Z ones will work in my 2005 Focus.

raptordrew 06-10-2016 03:46 PM

Quote:

what i would like to know is whether the 6s4z ones will work in my 2005 focus.
Good question. On my 2007, I ended up using a 6S4T-10849-BA, worked without issue.

I'm not sure whether that parts site is correct, though - the 6S4T I got came out of a 2007 model, not a 2005.

I'd say give it a shot and see what happens. It's simple enough to swap back [:)]

Slimester 06-10-2016 04:12 PM

I would love to have a tach but I heard or read that if I did the swap, it would make the ABS light come on because my car did not come with ABS brakes. I wonder if that is true?

pcordes1979 06-10-2016 05:59 PM

Depends, if the car you get the cluster from had ABS (or also traction control) then you will have the lights lit if your car does not have those, however if the car you get it from doesn't have ABS then you won't have the lights.

Of course there is another option, it has been said that some FF Forum member can clone the current cluster to the new one, but he would need both clusters to do the work, which means if you are not in his area there would be some downtime of the car. One plus to that method is it would keep the mileage accurate as well. Also cloning would allow the shift light to work if the donor car has an auto trans and yours has a manual.

raptordrew 06-10-2016 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcordes1979 (Post 9880473)
One plus to that method is it would keep the mileage accurate as well.

Man, if I knew that was available when I went through this... I had a hell of a time finding a cluster with a high enough mileage, and on top of that, ended up swapping it out in the middle of a road trip at a rest stop - within 3 miles of my original mileage, at least [hihi]