Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How To: Custom Door Sill Plate

15K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  sailor 
#1 · (Edited)
This wasn't my idea, but I thought I'd get around to doing it, along with a how to. This idea came from bluefront:

And a custom sill plate from Home Depot made out of a rubber stair tread $2 per door.

This is an inexpensive mod that you can easily do. This is my first "official" how to so bear with me and I hope everyone can follow it. (there'll be a test later. [neener])

Tools needed:
Three rubber stair treads (two if not a sedan)
Double sided carpet tape
A pair of utility shears
A box cutter or razor blade
A heat gun
2 Different colors of spray paint (optional)
Clear coat (again, optional)
Glass cleaner and paper towels
2" sticker lettering (optional)
Tape measure

Okay, the painting and lettering are optional. You can still do this mod without them. I just wanted a more eye-catching look with mine. Here we go.

STEP 1:
Start by purchasing the items needed. I got the stair treads and carpet tape at Home Depot and the black paint, clear coat and 2" lettering at Walmart. These are what the stair treads will look like when you go to buy them:

STEP 2:
Measure the door sill of your Focus. You can actually get the sill plate to go under the door seal.

STEP 3:
Once you get the measurement, use the utility shears to trim the stair tread to fit.

I also trimmed a bit from the lip for a better fit.

STEP 4:
Once you get it trimmed, use the heat gun to soften the plastic up check the fitment. The heat gun will make the plastic easier to work with. Make any additional trims as needed to get the fitment correct.

STEP 5:
Now comes the decorative part. Start by using some window cleaner and clean the piece.

Then, use one of the two colors of spray paint to paint the piece (I used matched paint). This layer of paint will be the color of the lettering once we are done (any Military peeps that's ever painted bumper numbers on vehicles will know this technique)[:)].

Once the paint is dry, determine what you want your door sill to say. Use the 2" lettering and apply it to the piece.
NOTE: I recommend using the tape measure to find the middle and start applying the lettering there. The tape measure will also allow for even spacing between letters. Continue until you get all the letters applied.

STEP 6:
Once the letters are applied, take the other color of paint (I used Gloss Black), and paint over the piece again, letters and all.

STEP 7:
Once the paint is dry (recommend letting it dry overnight), use a box cutter or other razor blade and VERY CAREFULLY peel the lettering off. The razor is more for just starting the peeling process. Once you get the letter started peeling, you can use your hands to remove it. Continue until all the lettering is removed.

STEP 8:
Apply clear coat.

STEP 9:
Reclean the back side of the piece, if needed, then apply the double sided carpet tape.

STEP 10:
Clean the door sill. Use the heat gun again to soften up the plastic for the final fitment.

Once the final fitment is complete, then peel off the other non-sticky part of the tape, apply and TA-DA!!!

For some added uniqueness, this is how I did the back sill plates:

The clearance between the door and the sill plates are fine and the lip will contact with the rubber door seal at the bottom of the door.

If you do not want to do the paint and lettering, you can still follow these steps to apply just the plain, black piece. I hope you were all able to follow this. If you have any questions, let me know. Enjoy.

See less See more
#2 ·
If we were in Iowa, I'd ask you to marry me. haha

Thanks for the walkthrough. I was about to attempt this and was going to bother bluefront again for advice. Now he logon to the site without 40 PM's.

This needs to be sticky'd. Props to bluefront and to you for the idea and tutorial.

#3 ·
Looks amazing! I just wonder how much abuse it'll take before paint starts to scratch off or when it starts to peel off the car. It'd probably take awhile, but something to ponder. Definitely needs to be a sticky though. Awesome job.

#5 ·
Yeah that's one of my favorite mods to date.....thanks for the credit.

The stair treads I found were slightly different. Your's looks like the lip edge was curled all the way into a "U". Mine was more like an "L"......so I didn't have to trim that outer lip at all.....it was a perfect fit. These things can be found at most big hardware or building supply stores. I've only seen them in black, but with slightly different patterns.

I don't know about the painting.....I'd worry about messing it up with my shoe. But it looks nice with all your extra work. [clap]

#6 ·
Yeah, they were more like "U"s but that is why I used the heat gun to shape it better. I trimmed the lip because it was a bit too long. Apparently, I got a different brand of stair tread then when you did yours.

That's why I use the clear coat, for the added protection for the paint.

#7 ·
Wow. the ideas keep getting better and better. props to you both for your creativity. I hope that paint doesnt begin to scratch off but if it does then hey......just do it again. the beauty of cheap mods

#12 ·
Great work man.

One thing I would suggest is using the vinyl spray paint they sell for interiors or better yet would be the urathane bumper paint. Though these won't be flexing much if any those two paints remain slightly ruberized and have magical chemicals that help them adhere to that kind of material.

#13 ·
Great job Carl, I'm assuming you will be bringing the material and supplies to make 4 of those for my car to the work party. [histerical]

I PM'd S2 to add this to the "how to" archive.

#19 ·
Just to let everyone know, that I've had these sill plates on for a while and the paint and clear coat have been holding up strong. There's some shoe scuffs on the clear which was expected, but I can still wipe them clean with no damage to the paint and clear. Just thought I'd throw this in. LOL.

#20 ·
Great job CJohn! I found some universal sill trim at Advance Auto. A pair was $15 and you would need 2 pair for sedans. Don't know how this compares cost-wise.

#25 ·
Has anyone tried any of the vinyl material? I was thinking of the carbon fiber look, along with some places on the interior but was unsure if it would be slippery when getting in and out of the car.

#26 ·
"Slippery" isn't really an issue, stock it's painted metal!

They're better described as 'scuff plates', to resist/cover up the scratching of the paint there from accidental contact. Mainly a beauty item.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.